Warren Athens

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Re: Warren Athens

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

Jottings wrote:What time is Friday's championship tipoff between Warren and New Philly?

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

Post by The Gloaming »

French only finished with 29 i believe:)

ssbball
Freshman Team

Post by ssbball »

It's Saturday isn't it?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Iggy25 wrote:Athens missed a ton of open looks and free throws down the stretch. Had so many chances to put it way and let the Warriors back in. Tough for the Bulldogs.
So if it is the refs fault...how did they make Athens miss those open shots and the free throws.. Did they pull a string to make the basket smaller when Athens shot and bigger when Warren shot.

Sounds like French, being the best on the court, decided that he was going to take over and that is what happened.

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

Game is Saturday at 3:00pm at the Convo.

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

noreply66 wrote:
Iggy25 wrote:Athens missed a ton of open looks and free throws down the stretch. Had so many chances to put it way and let the Warriors back in. Tough for the Bulldogs.
So if it is the refs fault...how did they make Athens miss those open shots and the free throws.. Did they pull a string to make the basket smaller when Athens shot and bigger when Warren shot.

Sounds like French, being the best on the court, decided that he was going to take over and that is what happened.
French didnt make that decision, his coaches did. Thats what makes Warren the team they are. They all step up. They do their job when and where they are asked to. Guys, keep doin what you do.

warriornation
Riding the Bench

Post by warriornation »

French put on one of the best performances that I personally have witnessed in the 4th quarter by any High School player. He truly was unguardable. The Team as a whole played the best pressing defense I've seen them play this year in the final 4 minutes of the game. Burrows and Watson for Athens are special players and are going to take Athens on a deep run in the next couple of years. They both have a bright future.
Alot of people thought that the Leffingwell/ Elmore matchup was going to be a key and Leffingwell completely dominated it. Dylan stood his ground inside defensively and was able to take Elmore to the perimeter and go around him with relative ease. This was a great win for Warren and Coach Maddox. Proud to be a Warrior!!
Last edited by warriornation on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

French had 2 pts after three quarters ... ended up with 29.

I for one truly appreciate - and thank ALL the kids/players from both Athens and Warren - for putting on such a great show tonight ...

Good luck to the Warriors Saturday - I'll definitely be pulling for the southeast district to send a team to Columbus.
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

Whew!......My voice is barely there but I will get over it...lol. Congrats to my Warriors and see you Saturday. Athens is a good team and should be proud. Warren gets to play another game.

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

Game time Saturday is 3 pm. Evan French had 29 and Joey Burrow had 28. French was unconscious. Two points at halftime and didn't seem to be in the game at all. 4th quarter was amazing. I was also amazed that Warren could get all 2000 people to boo at once as the officials went to halftime. I guess the officiating stunk the first half and then they were great. Athens saw it the other way. Tough loss for Athens and a great win for Warren. Better have your A game going against New Philly. I was impressed by the defense and strength inside. Their guard play will make it hard to press them. Great atmosphere at the Convo tonight. All 4 teams were well represented by their communities.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Iggy25 wrote:Once again the officiating crew gave Warren the win in the second half. Athens was the better team. French also couldnt miss in the fourth.
How do you figure that, do not detract from real fans and people who are appreciative of a great game played by 30 teenagers for a season full of great memories. Realitity of the situation is the game was not played, executed or officiated without flaws, however that is the human element and what makes it a great game.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

ClevelandBrowns#1 wrote:With some of you its always officiating!!! Count the turnovers, count the missed free throws, count the little bunnies missed, count the times your defense didn't get back and gave up a layup, count how many times the defense didn't box out and gave up an offensive rebound for a score, etc..... Grow up and give the team that won credit!! I bet that not one official out there missed a shot or turned it over-get over it, and some of us on here are sick of hearing it after every game played!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

Post of the year on SEOP, both teams laid it out there, great effort and individual performance tonight.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Very competitive game with both having good chances to win at the end. There was a period where the officiating really changed the game. Much of the game, they called it much like most all tourney games with a bias to "let them play" and keep players in the game. However if anything was unfair and out of character in officiating and benefitted one team it was the last half of the 2nd qtr, just after, on the Warren end, a player came to double the Warren player with the ball and hit him and displaced him by two feet and no call was made. That was when the score was 22-11 or 24-13 when Warren had a very good lead. Then for the remainder of the qtr, they called all kinds of fouls on Warren that most of the tourney have not been called, changing the momentum and complexion of the game completely. So, if officiating was a factor, it hurt Warren the most.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Congrats to Warren from Chillicothe!!!!!!!!!!

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

What a game!! congrats to the warren team on great comeback. Possibly the most exciting 4th quarter I have ever seen in a Warren game ever. As for the officials, I was not happy in the 2nd quarter as the game changed wih a few calls (that were fouls though, just have not been called during this tourney most times) and Warren started backing off a bit and Athens took advantage. But give Athens credit during that time as they were unstoppable in the second and third quarters. Burrows is a real player and #14 can make things happen with the dribble like no one we have played this year. As mhs95 said above, the 4th quarter "let them play" really benefited Warren. If a few fouls would have been called during warrens run at the end, we would have had a different outcome. Hopefully we can keep that 4th quarter momentum and translate it into a regional championship. GO BIG BLUE!!

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Just like in the regular season, when your coach spends more time screaming at the officials than he does coaching the outcome is usually not good. The regular season version ended with him screaming while he had two time outs in his pocket if my memory is correct. But let's give credit where it is due. Both teams played their hearts out, and Warren deserves to move on.

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:Just like in the regular season, when your coach spends more time screaming at the officials than he does coaching the outcome is usually not good. The regular season version ended with him screaming while he had two time outs in his pocket if my memory is correct. But let's give credit where it is due. Both teams played their hearts out, and Warren deserves to move on.

How do you hammer a coach that did something at Athens that hasn't been done in about 40 years? Athens was the underdog going into this game and got beat in overtime of the regionals. That is a pretty good season to make it to the final 16. I look for Athens and Warren to both be back in the regionals again next year.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:Just like in the regular season, when your coach spends more time screaming at the officials than he does coaching the outcome is usually not good. The regular season version ended with him screaming while he had two time outs in his pocket if my memory is correct. But let's give credit where it is due. Both teams played their hearts out, and Warren deserves to move on.
let me get this straight:

The first game a coach gets criticized for NOT calling timouts as he allowed his team/players to try and win the game on their own in the midst of chaos.
The second game he gets criticized - BUT - he did call timeout with 9.4 seconds left on the clock, set up a play (which allowed the defense to set up a play as well) and it didn't work.

Coach Skinner tried both strategy's and they both failed ... if HE DIDN'T call timeout with 9.4 seconds everyone would have been saying he should have - if he does call timeout and it didn't work - everyone says he shouldn't have.

you gotta love 'bleacher coaches'

:mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Hopper11 ... taking a group of freshmen and sophomores to the sweet 16 is the impressive part ... I mean seriously, I didn't have the attention span as a freshmen to listen to my parents, let alone a coach ... for coach Skinner to get them to play good, solid, disciplined basketball all season - is an accomplishment in itself.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

93bulldog you hit the nail on the head. I cannot believe and have never seen 2 freshman and 3 sophmore play that well. If you were to tell me that early in the year, I would say good luck winning 10 games not alone 20+. Coach Skinner deseves a lot of credit.

Is there any taped versions of last nights game on 105, 970 or anywhere else? Any Link? Just curious??

Return to “Boys Basketball”