poll: Warren (24-1) vs Athens (21-4) - March 14th

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

MoneyBall44
Waterboy

Re: poll: Warren (24-1) vs Athens (21-4) - March 14th

Post by MoneyBall44 »

I really don't know what to think of this year's Warren squad. Their road this year has really shaped up nicely. This year's squad really had to face minimal competition all year with the exception of Newark Catholic and Upper Arlington and the league itself (what's left of it) was way down. In year's past, when the SEOAL was a full league of 8-10 teams, the Warriors had much stiffer tests in the regular season from Gallia, Logan, Chillicothe, and occasionally others (heck River Valley and Point Pleasant occasionally had decent talent i.e. Joey James and Ryan Litchfield). Their usual Washington County foes Belpre and Fort Frye were both shadows of their former selves and you will no longer find Parkersburg or Parkersburg South on the schedules for reasons unknown. The 97, 01, and 05 teams who all won the expanded SEOAL, had more losses heading into the tourney due to tougher schedules and that kept them from being that coveted #1 seed and away from the road that encompasses it (i.e. Washington Court House, Dover, Columbus East, Cambridge, West Holmes, New Phila, etc...). That being said, they do have a fundamentally sound group of kids this year who can shoot and play the game as a unit and having said that, I fully expect them to beat Athens, who although better this year, is another team that left the SEOAL because they could not consistently compete with the bigger schools, and chose to drop to the TVC. So I am looking forward to a regional final against St. Clairsville as that should be a heck of a game. In most years, that would've been a district final and this year it will be for a trip to STATE! I hope the Warriors seize the opportunity and make the most of it!

Also not sure how many readers here get the Marietta Times but was this really Warren's first district title? The banner in their gym has a district title in 1980...just curious.

Native Warrior
Freshman Team

Post by Native Warrior »

Even though this is a Basketball fourm, it would not take very long to find several scores where Warren beat Athens in football,baseball and of course basketball........This years Basketbll Warrriors are hungry ! I look for a great matchup with the Bulldogs at the Convo. Good Luck Blue !!! Hope to see you in the regional finals.

gotribe
Waterboy

Post by gotribe »

This game should be a barn burner. Warren was 1/19 from 3-land in the first game. I can't see that ever happening to Warren again. Can't wait to see result of this game. For those of you assuming St C. is a lock in the other game have not seen New Philly play. They just a week ago beat a Cambridge team by 13. The same Cambridge team who took St. C to OT @ St. C. If Monteroso doesn't play like his typical monster self the warriors/bulldogs will get a dose of the Quakers. Good Luck Warriors, Play well !!!

Iggy25
Waterboy

Post by Iggy25 »

Warren was 1-13 from deep. Not 1-19. Athens was also with a big time piece inside in Ryan Luerhman. That is huge. Don't act like Warren just played bad. Athens played great defense.

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

93Bulldog wrote:
32, 16, 6 wrote:Makes a guy dig into the football bag of I beat yous....he probably could have picked hockey
LOL!

I bet I can find a few BIG BASEBALL wins by Athens over Warren.

:mrgreen:

Ohhhh no you didnt. YOU DID NOT GO TO THE BASEBALL BAG!?!? :122246 Its on Sonny....just give Grandma time to get her cane
:razz:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

5 days !!! BUT who's counting !!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

technically ... 4 days - 5 hours

thanks to daylight savings - we're one-hour closer to tip-off!

lol

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

pfloyd wrote:Schnellfritz ! pfloyd will be in the house Thursday night , his usual Cheap Seat location - no recognition dinner this week ONLY $4 hot dogs/$3 waters/$3 soft pretzels LOL ... all eyes will be on the Convo floor - 2 excellent basketball teams, talent at every position, SEO D2 Co-coaches of the year court side - what's not to look forward to Thursday night OR Tuesday/Wednesday nights as well :-D

Pfloyd, I will be at both games and I will definitely look you up. I have been wanting to meet you, so if you see a really handsome guy with white hair, blue Warren hat, blue and white Warren jacket, and wandering eyes, that is me....lol. And you will be wearing?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

He'll probably be wearing the same ... some of his largest 'kick-backs' come from the Barlow/Vincent area ... wouldn't be surprised if his face is painted blue as well ...

:)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... for the Thursday night games pfloyd will be wearing the "world famous" White Pfloyd 2012-13 Tour long sleeve shirt, trimmed with dancing Purple Hippo(s) ... will probably have to go with light cargo shorts to finish up the Pfloyd "regional tournament ensemble" LOL ... pfloyd will be sitting in the Cheap Seats, 3rd row up, aisle seat, Northwest "corner" of the Convo, green seats :mrgreen: ... IF you were sitting in Lou Horvath's seat on the Convo floor, you could look through the back board "square" and see pfloyd with "napkin stat" scorebook, Twizzlers (the real deal/Strawberry), 2 waters and if you get there early enough a soft pretzel (no salt) LOL ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:2 waters and if you get there early enough a soft pretzel (no salt) LOL
cost to make a soft pretzel ... about 5 cents.
cost of a small pretzel at the Convo? ... $3.00.

no freakin way I'm falling for that 'sham' ... lol

thill2010
JV Team

Post by thill2010 »

Wish I could be there but I'll be @ the Girls State Basketball Tourney

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

March Madness, makes one man ask another man what hes wearing....lol you two kill me. 93bulldog: I have baseball scoreboard photos at Athens, year before last...Athens on the downside...Not that I would keep track...

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Bulldog93... The biggest factor is coaching. Basketball is a game of runs. Which staff does the best job of making adjustments will prolly win. The athletes are pretty similar and that could be argued 6 ways from Sunday. The coaching staffs for each team will play a huge role in the outcome of this game. I don't think either staff is better but the Warriors staff has been together a long long time. Coach Maddox went against his grain and played zone against Vinton Co because of that trust factor of being together so long. The staff at Athens has more than proven their ability so I guess like they say "Whoever Gets The Job Done" will be moving on.

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

93Bulldog wrote:He'll probably be wearing the same ... some of his largest 'kick-backs' come from the Barlow/Vincent area ... wouldn't be surprised if his face is painted blue as well ...

:)
If Pfloyd paints his face blue, it might still be hard to pick him out of the crowd....lol...I figure there will be plenty of blue faces there. And if you, 93Bulldog, are there, maybe I'll meet you, too.

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

32, 16, 6 wrote:March Madness, makes one man ask another man what hes wearing....lol you two kill me. 93bulldog: I have baseball scoreboard photos at Athens, year before last...Athens on the downside...Not that I would keep track...
What is wrong with asking what we are wearing?.....Lol.....Good fashion sense is important, especially at the most important time of the year....I could wear a blue dress with white stockings, but don't get excited because the misses won't part with them....lol

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

Why dont you ask me to point him out instead..

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... no blue face paint ... pfloyd ALWAYS stays neutral at ALL basketball games ... ALWAYS !!! you would never know which team pfloyd was supporting :mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:you would never know which team pfloyd was supporting :mrgreen:
unless you pay attention to who stops up to the cheap seats and 'pads' his wallet ... lots of Ironton/Warren folk (who tied for 1st in the Elite 8 ) made their way up to the upper level this year ... no way Floyd could scarf down 3 or 4 soft pretzels a night without some sort of 'backing'.

:mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

WarriorBlue wrote:Bulldog93... The biggest factor is coaching. Basketball is a game of runs. Which staff does the best job of making adjustments will prolly win. The athletes are pretty similar and that could be argued 6 ways from Sunday. The coaching staffs for each team will play a huge role in the outcome of this game. I don't think either staff is better but the Warriors staff has been together a long long time. Coach Maddox went against his grain and played zone against Vinton Co because of that trust factor of being together so long. The staff at Athens has more than proven their ability so I guess like they say "Whoever Gets The Job Done" will be moving on.

GO BIG BAD BLUE!
WE HAVE ALL THE FAITH IN THE WORLD IN COACH SKINNER ... HE'S BEEN AROUND THE BLOCK A FEW TIMES - AND SO HAS ASSISTANT COACH RICKETTS.

Return to “Boys Basketball”