New Boston 17 South Webster 72 Final

BasketballFan1
Riding the Bench

Re: New Boston 17 South Webster 72 Final

Post by BasketballFan1 »

buzzkillington wrote:Ppl that are complaining have probably never experienced a tourney run. They just dont understand. The last starter that was pulled was by far SW's weakest offensive threat and never shoots the ball. So it's not like this kid was schooling kids. I overheard the coaches trying to tell the kids to hold up a bit but some those players were just trying to get theirs for whatever reason. I'm sure those SW coaches didn't want to make it look this bad.
If some of those players were coming in and trying to get theirs and not obeying the coaches then something needed done about that. And to let you know, I have experienced a good tourney run before so I understand.

I just think at that point you would get more out of slowing down and running and executing your stuff. To me this would make the kids better and more prepared for a deep tourney run.

Not bashing any kids, because I am sure SW's kids are great kids as were the NW kids that were just outclassed. I just hate to see these totally lopsided scores, because in all reality it does no good for anyone involved.

I do hope that Webster continues to play well and make a good tourney run and rep the SOC well.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I was not there and did not listen on the radio after the 1st quarter, so don't know who played or for how long in the second half. But unfortunately, this is tournament time and Webster had not played a game in 12 days. With another one week layoff before Webster's next game, I would want my starters playing at least 3 quarters regardless of the score to get their game legs ready when they have to play 4 hard quarters at the Convo twice the following week.

And as buzzkillington said, Fuller (apparently the last starter in) had a total of 2 points and is starting because of his defense and ball-handling.*

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Yeah as stated the score was not ran up. Goddard and Dyer sat the entire 4th, Cook and Salisbury came out shortly after. When these guys come in off the bench it's good to have an experienced player at the point and Fuller (5'8, doesn't shoot much, excellent defender) was given that task until around 2 minutes to go when Norman took over. I heard Ater yelling for the 5 pass quota the entire quarter too. Norman scored atleast 10 (2 treys, 4 free throws) maybe 12 in the 4th.

Webster could have put up 100 if they pressed at all during the game. I commend NB's effort but they just got out sized and outgunned

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

As hard as it is to agree with the ugly truth I think hes right. Lol During tourney runs, you cant afford to let your players to become complacent. You have to keep that killer mentality in tact. The next game you may be fighting for your life. In 2007/8 when Western went to regional finals Coach Phil Howard had played everyone extensive minutes during the regular season because of the blowout games. In the tourney he kept starters in late to keep them fresh. Working on other offenses, and defenses that he thought they may need down the road. I believe in playing everyone during the regular season when you can, but you cant afford it in the tourney.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

It's not like the Jeeps had a blowout 4th quarter either
21 points

Gus
Freshman Team

Post by Gus »

IndianFan4life wrote:As hard as it is to agree with the ugly truth I think hes right. Lol During tourney runs, you cant afford to let your players to become complacent. You have to keep that killer mentality in tact. The next game you may be fighting for your life. In 2007/8 when Western went to regional finals Coach Phil Howard had played everyone extensive minutes during the regular season because of the blowout games. In the tourney he kept starters in late to keep them fresh. Working on other offenses, and defenses that he thought they may need down the road. I believe in playing everyone during the regular season when you can, but you cant afford it in the tourney.
yeah, but what if one of those boys roll a ankle, or suffer a bad injury? Just think maybe if the starters did have to stay in could have just held the ball...... Oh and yes i think i have made several runs in the tourney!!!!!!!

bluedude62
Varsity

Post by bluedude62 »

Complete mismatch on talent. The big kid for SW must have missed 10-12 layups in the first half. The coach even mentioned it on the interview after the game. New Boston shooter was throwing them up from all over the floor and basically he's the only one who scored. They had 0 points in the second qtr. The Norman kid for Webster played like a starter off the bench which will help them at the convo. A better game to watch would have been ND and SW but that was the luck of the draw. Websters coach ran several subs in and out in the second half but didn't pull the last starter till late in the game. He's the coach so he can play them as he sees fit. Good luck to South Webster at the Convo.

Red Ridding Hood
Riding the Bench

Post by Red Ridding Hood »

A lot of complaints by people who weren't there it seems to me. When your leading scorer that started has 18 and the leading scorer off the bench has 18???? Then New Boston scores 17???? As much as everyone likes to argue, do you really tell kids not to play defense??? For example Clay put up 44 on ND but ND scored 64. If ND could have stopped Clay in there tracks I bet they would have, or maybe there coach said to himself hey let's let them score in the forties so it looks good for everybody. The worst thing is if webster would have played keep away last night the last two quarters they would have been bashed for that too. Making the other team look bad because they couldn't get the ball. The only thing I have agreed with is New Boston and Webster has good kids that played last night.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

this game almost like the Bloom Carrol game the other night where BC won something like 82/18--think they played Liberty Union

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The first tournament game I ever attended at Valley Whiteoak beat Clay 104-51?

By chance was SW's coach upset with this year's seeding or seedings of the past?....likely not but sometimes those nearby communities can arouse some bad feelings over the years, maybe even when these kids were younger.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

i dont care if the score was 100-0, you dont tell kids to quit competing...maybe take it a litle easier, a little slower, but if the score keeps going up you gotta let it happen. you think when these same kids graduate and have families to take care of they should also be told to not work hard and make a good living for their family? "oh, your doing too much, maybe you should stop making money and being successful" thats crap. and by the way, i crush my 4 year old when playing candy land. she will get better and return the favor when she is older and better. why is everyone so soft. if webster loses the next game by a similar margin that just means the other team was better, you suck it up and move on. winning is great, losing makes you stronger, and its the bad loses that give you the most strength. new boston will recover, next year is only a year away, gives the non seniors on the team something to build from and do better next season, no one likes having a bad taste in their mouth for too long.

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

I was at the game as well, and those that are trying to make it sound like South Webster did it on purpose are way off. As someone stated previously, it was a total mismatch of talent. Even the subs for South Webster had their way with New Boston starters. What should they have done? Let New Boston's STARTERS score? I was more surprised that New Boston's coach didn't take Buckley out in the 4th when they were down 50. Not very fair to the young kids to sit and watch that.
SWbaseballFan wrote:i dont care if the score was 100-0, you dont tell kids to quit competing...maybe take it a litle easier, a little slower, but if the score keeps going up you gotta let it happen. you think when these same kids graduate and have families to take care of they should also be told to not work hard and make a good living for their family? "oh, your doing too much, maybe you should stop making money and being successful" thats crap. and by the way, i crush my 4 year old when playing candy land. she will get better and return the favor when she is older and better. why is everyone so soft. if webster loses the next game by a similar margin that just means the other team was better, you suck it up and move on. winning is great, losing makes you stronger, and its the bad loses that give you the most strength. new boston will recover, next year is only a year away, gives the non seniors on the team something to build from and do better next season, no one likes having a bad taste in their mouth for too long.
I couldn't agree more with you, SWbaseballfan.

Return to “Boys Basketball”