Nelsonville-York @ Vinton County 2/18

Skiisme
All Conference

Re: Nelsonville-York @ Vinton County 2/18

Post by Skiisme »

Kinda active second quarter. Gonna get crazy in the second half. VC up 32-27 at the half.

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Everything is a little chippy in the house. Very physical and the Vikings hold a 43-42 lead after 3.

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

WAY TO GO NY BUCKS!

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

Guess all the VC posters left before game was over since no final score was posted. :)

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Thanks and Congratulations Coach Kline and Buckeyes.

Bulldogs and Vikings TVC OHIO Champs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Final score was N-Y 64, VC 60.

'Dogs and Vikes share the TVC-Ohio championship for 2012-13.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Lots more per-game smack, but very little post game???? Must have been a good game, sorry I had to work.

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Vikings got down 10 early in the fourth. NY missed 7 freebies in a row and did not put the game away. VC got back within 3 but that was as close as they got. NY wins 64-60. For the first time all season I saw some of the Vikings hesitant to shoot the ball when they were left wide open for jump shots. Hopefully a lesson was learned as Friday begins one or done season. Get focused boys as Fairfield Union played pretty much the way NY played you tonight.
Last edited by Skiisme on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Surprising

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

Ironman92 wrote:Surprising

This year in the TVC nothing surprises me!

Wakawakawaka
Waterboy

Post by Wakawakawaka »

I think this is more of a relaxing VC team than a great NY team. VC should have taken this one by 30, better all around team with a lot of intellect, I guess they didn't have much to play for. I mean if they watched film on NY they would know that they like to hang around that 3-point line and they don't like to get back on defense and are very outsized.
I know I ride this kid a lot but the only explanation is the carter boy. He comes up clutch Every time for the bucks. If he's hot i think the bucks could beat the Hoosiers right now.
Congrats to VC and the bulldogs, I know they'll represent the TVC well with an excellent tournament run, I think they have a great chance.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

As a coach who has watched kids celebrate ecstatically over clinching at least a share and then getting upset and have to share it......VC had a lot to play for.

Wakawakawaka
Waterboy

Post by Wakawakawaka »

Ironman92 wrote:As a coach who has watched kids celebrate ecstatically over clinching at least a share and then getting upset and have to share it......VC had a lot to play for.
A title is a title, there is no shame in sharing it with a great team like Athens.
It's like sharing an Olympic record with Michael phelps, nothing to be ashamed about.

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

I bet VC would rather go into tournament play with some momentum instead of a loss. I would guess coach Combs isn't real happy with the defeat at home.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Wakawakawaka wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:As a coach who has watched kids celebrate ecstatically over clinching at least a share and then getting upset and have to share it......VC had a lot to play for.
A title is a title, there is no shame in sharing it with a great team like Athens.
It's like sharing an Olympic record with Michael phelps, nothing to be ashamed about.

Overall, sure....but I promise you after the game VC kids and coaches thought they had a lot to play for...I experienced virtually the same thing first hand just 9 months ago and it stung like crazy.

Coach Combs will get them going for the tourney.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Since I'm kind of wore out here (very emotional game for 93Dog as he kept his emotions in check while sitting with some of the VC contingent ... lol) I think I will post a few things later about what happend on the court.

Congrats to the Buckeyes on a very well played game - they are a SCRAPPY bunch that scratched and clawed their way to victory.

- 93Wizard

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote:Since I'm kind of wore out here (very emotional game for 93Dog as he kept his emotions in check while sitting with some of the VC contingent ... lol) I think I will post a few things later about what happend on the court.

Congrats to the Buckeyes on a very well played game - they are a SCRAPPY bunch that scratched and clawed their way to victory.

- 93Lizard
FIFY

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

I'll have to admit I was wrong. Never saw this coming. Amazes me just like Miller beating Belpre twice.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

After watching NY lose to Athens 64-63 in OT - it didn't surprise me at all greatone.

The Buckeyes go 10-deep and if they can stay in the game - they can really hurt you late in the fourth quarter.

per Coach Combs: "I think we just ran of gas tonight. We just looked to me a little more sluggish than we typically look in a lot of area. But I don't want to take anything away from Nelsonville-York. They played a great game."

- I could have made the same comments about Athens back on Feb 8th when the Bulldogs barely slipped by the Buckeyes.

I thought the turning point in last nights game was when VC decided to try and press NY in the fourth quarter. NOBODY in the TVC-Ohio can guard Emmitt Reed one-on-one, he continously broke the press and the Buckeyes ended up getting open looks right underneath the basket. Jacob Blake hit one, Josh Fayette hit Jay Elliott for an open lay-up, Reed ended up just taking one himself to the hoop for an uncontested lay-up ... I mean, NY just turned on the jets in the 4th and scored 22 points, after only scoring 12 in the 1st, 15 in the 2nd and 15 in the 3rd.

Perhaps the best thing about watching NY is how they operate as a TEAM - they have had 7 or 8 different players leading them in scoring this year - and no other team in the TVC comes close to matching that. Mark Carter goes off for 24 points, a lot of those came in the 1st half, which helped keep Nelsonville-York in the game. (they trailed 33-27 at the half) ... Emmitt Reed scored 13 points and was a factor on defense and handling the ball all night, Jacob Blake had 9 points and 6 rebounds, Colt Adams scored 8 and had 5 boards (he played a great 4th quarter as well) and big Jay Elliott had 8 points and 8 boards ... even the guys who don't score impact the game for NY, Josh Fayette had a great game defensively, Cody Walker had the tip-out rebound that allowed Reed to go back to the free-throw line with seconds remaining, Joey Young while in the game played good defense.

As a fan of the TVC I felt it was a 'win-win-win' situation with Nelsonville-York winning. They get a huge momentum victory heading into the DIII tournament - and since they avoided Eastern Brown and Ironton in the district bracket, who knows what they can do so long as they reach the Convo. Vinton County STILL walked away with their 3rd straight TVC-Ohio title - and Athens gets a little emotional lift heading into the tournament knowing they are league champs as well.
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wakawakawaka
Waterboy

Post by Wakawakawaka »

If they can get past minford they have a chance. I wouldn't want to go against minford right now though , that's one HOT team.

Return to “Boys Basketball”