2/5 - Athens @ Logan

Power 105
All Conference

2/5 - Athens @ Logan

Post by Power 105 »

The game can be heard on 970 WATH and 97.1 FM as well as online here: http://streamdb3web.securenetsystems.ne ... teURL=true

Thoughts?

3morethan2
Varsity

Re: 2/5 - Athens @ Logan

Post by 3morethan2 »

I think it'll be closer than the first matchup, Logan was able to take Warren into OT at home but the game at Warren wasn't very close. Athens still wins but maybe by six or seven

67-60

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

This logan team is hungry for an upset. Athens better be ready to play. With that said, Athens by 8. They will learn from Warrens mistakes and win this game.

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

NICE.......win Logan .

Native Warrior
Freshman Team

Post by Native Warrior »

Good call warrior90. Was there another bad call or no call at the end of this game also?

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

I'm sure it's something the refs did

Iggy25
Waterboy

Post by Iggy25 »

Athens freshman guard Zacchia Saltzman did not play. You could tell the Dogs missed him.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

He is a quick freshman guard.....I could see him being a big factor in flow.

Logan continues to be the toughest place to win in the district...across the sports

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 70
Athens 69 OT

... Logan took SEOAL #1 Warren to OT last Friday night before losing 63-59 to the Warriors ... tonight at Jim's Gym the Purple of Logan fell behind the Athens Bulldogs in the 1st quarter 12-0 before the Chiefs of Coach Helber chipped away going on a 10-3 run to close out the first ... Logan 10 Athens 15 after one ... quarter #2 was tight as Logan outscored AHS 17-15 in the quarter led by Bird McNeal's 3 treys , the Bulldogs were paced by Joey Burrow with 6 (9 in the 1st half) ... Logan 27 Athens 30 at intermission ... Coach Skinner's Bulldogs forged a 7 point lead at 4:43 in the 3rd as Joey Burrow put up 9 points to lead AHS , the Purple kept pace scoring 12 in the period with Tristan Myers scoring 5 in the paint for LHS ... Logan 39 Athens 43 after three ... going into the 4th the closest Logan could get was when the game was tied 0-0 to tip it off, foul trouble hurt Athens as star freshman Ibi Watson sat out part of the 3rd,was on the bench to begin the 4th ... a combination of Logan's defense, Athens playing shorthanded on the perimeter (Zacchia Saltzman DNP due to a back injury) had the Bulldogs unable to get their offense started- unable to get the ball below the foul line from 6:26 to 2:44 in the 4th - in that time Logan sophomore guard Chance Cox hit a big time 3-pointer to tie the game at 43-43 (6:26 left in the game, Logan 1st tie since 0-0) the Chiefs took a 51-46 lead with 2:44 left ... LHS led 52 - 48 at :47 , Athens with the tie 52-52 :28 remaining, Joey Cottrill sank 2 FTs :27 to give Logan 54-52 lead ... Joey Burrow hit a jumper inside the arc on the right wing sending the game into OT 54-54 ... Logan was led by senior Tristan Myers in th 4th (7 pts) , Athens spread the ball around as Watson returned to the game to hit a big trey in the final quarter of regulation ... Logan 54 Athens 54 after four ... Athens went to their big man in the middle Jared Elmore/ the senior post man for AHS saw the ball inside on 3 straight possessions scoring 8 points, Logan answered with the scoring of McNeal who hit 2 big threes and a running hook in the paint (8 points in OT) ... the rest of the Athens scoring came from Ryan Leuhrman FT's 5/7 as the lead went back and forth Logan's Myers (5 pts) countering the AHS FT's ... :30 in OT Athens 67 Logan 65 ... :11 in OT Logan 67 Athens 68 ... Joey Burrow made 1/2 FT's to make the score Logan 67 Athens 69 ... with McNeal having hit 6 threes on the night all eyes were on the Logan senior ... McNeal was unable to get open, the ball swung around to the young sophomore Chance Cox - after tying the game for the first time in the 4th with a 3 ball ... Cox drained a three pointer from the right wing Logan 70 Athens 69 final in OT ...

... Pfloyd's Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring : Joey Burrow 21, Ibi Watson 18, Jared Elmore 14, Ryan Leuhman 9, Sawyer Summers 7

3 Pointers: 6/17 ... Burrow 3, Watson 2, Summers 1

FT's : 15/22

TO's : 17

... Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring : Bird McNeal 21, Tristan Myers 19, Joey Cottrill 9, Chance Cox 6, Josh Vermillion 5, Nick Kost 5, Josh Mutzner 2, Patrick Klinger 2, Gabe Smith 1 ... Logan played 9 , all 9 players dented the scoring column ...

3 Pointers : 8/14 ... McNeal 6, Chance Cox 2 - the first trey tied the score at 43-43, his second trey won the game in OT

FT's : 16/26

TO's : 15

... great game to watch from the cheap seats ! great to meet up with Dundas, 93Bulldog, Coach Skinner, Gibby, Coach Kline from Nelsonville York ... the win by the Logan varsity squad of Coach Helber/Coach Landis completed the win trifecta for the Purple over Athens in tonights action ...congratulations to Coach Bobby Cassady as his JV looked solid/lots of improvement in picking up the win over the JV Bulldogs ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

Bulldogs need to put this behind them quickly as they head to Wellston tomorrow. Many of them have different roles now that Z is out. It will be a big boost if they get him back. Great seeing you Pfloyd! It was great seeing all my friends in Logan.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Good job Chiefs! The bullpuppies go down!

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

So what's wrong with Zack? Athens should have no problem with Wellston since Ousley is out.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

greatone wrote:So what's wrong with Zack? Athens should have no problem with Wellston since Ousley is out.
Its ZACCHIA ... and I believe its another back isssue.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

The one thing Logan has done a great job of giving great effort. Effort at both ends of the floor. Great win last night

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens always starts out like best team in this area but then cruises. Athens needs to press. Too much talent to play 50s ball

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... excellent high school game last night between Athens & the Purple of Logan ... took me awhile to get to sleep last night thinking about the play on the court for both Athens and Logan ... on the Athens side NOT having Zacchia Saltzman on the court HURT! as I watched the game I could see in my mind the spots where ZS would have made his presence known on the court - I could see the opportunities that were not taken by AHS where ZS would have done what he does as well as anyone - he would have split the defense, taken the ball to the rim ... I told Coach Skinner before the game that Zacchia (only a freshman) gets to the rim as well as anyone in Southern Ohio- taking the ball into the paint from the perimeter or taking the baseline (quick first step and good body strength) ... the other obvious "Saltzman time" moment when the Bulldogs missed SZ - Athens as good as they are (and they are a very good basketball team) has a short bench with Saltzman 2 deep off the bench without Saltzman that drops to 1 ... last night foul trouble forced Ibi Watson to the bench part of the 3rd and 4th quarters - Watson (freshman stand out #2) is Mr. Cool on the floor, handles the ball, scores from anywhere, gets the ball to the bigs IN THE PAINT ... last night in a 4 minutes stretch that saw Logan tie the game and take the lead for the first time in the game... Athens had no Watson on the floor , Athens had no Saltzman on the floor resulting in the Bulldogs looking a little lost on the offensive end as AHS did not get past the top of the key in starting their offense (that in itself was a win for my Purple) ... Elmore didn't see the ball in the paint/the one entry pass that was attempted in that time frame (6:26 - 2:44 in the 4th) was deflected and stolen by LHS ... I saw this stretch of the game as one critical to the Logan win, while emphasizing the value of Zacchia Saltzman to this Athens TEAM ... with all of that said - this Purple fan wishes the best for Zacchia Saltzman in getting back on the floor as quickly as possible for Coach Skinner and the Athens Bulldogs ... best of luck to AHS the rest of the season and into the post season ...

... now I didn't just think about the Athens Bulldogs when trying to get to sleep - I was comprehending what I saw from my Logan Purple as well .... How does a 4-10 team have league leading Warren on the ropes ! have Coach Maddox for Warren thanking the basketball gods for letting his Warriors ESCAPE Jim's Gym ? this same Logan Purple turns around and takes Athens into overtime AND get's the "W" vs 14-2 Athens ?? ........... the last 2 games the Purple have played as a TEAM ... ball movement on offense, fewer TOs resulting in MORE "shots on goal", the energy level has been turned up (more PT for the youngsters - Joey Cottrill starting at PG, Chance Cox's great defensive efforts AND he is fearless in taking the good perimeter three ( 2 threes vs Athens one to tie the game in the 4th, one to win it in OT), Nick Kost's speed/quickness- he brings the defensive pressure/he gets to the rim, Gabe Smith - energy in the paint, physical in the paint, he WANTS to put a body on someone LOL ... the seniors have accepted the youngsters on the floor, junior Joey Cottrill handles the ball AND CAN GET IT UP COURT UNDER PRESSURE ... the game has slowed down for Logan with Cottrill at the point - under opponents pressure prior to the Warren game, the Purple looked hurried/in panic mode NOW with Cottrill at PG - there is no panic, players are where they are supposed to be when the opposition pressures the ball, the ball gets up court, the TOs are down , Bird McNeal can now do what he is supposed to do in the Logan offense he's a perimeter threat, he's knocking down the 3 ball (6 last night vs Athens), McNeal is not a PG, he no longer has that pressure of trying to be something he is not - he can do what he does best ... score the ball from the perimeter, Tristan Myers has had a great season, he continues to be a beast in the paint, he NOW knows that the offense is being run, he is now MORE in the correct position in the paint to rebound and/or get the ball on the blocks to score ... bottom line for the Purple of Logan - the last 2 games they have played as a TEAM, players filling their roles, the Purple offense has been put in motion and everyone on the court KNOWS where the ball is going, knows where they are supposed to be in the offense, knows that execution will result in points ... the BEST example of players knowing their roles, accepting their roles, playing as a TEAM was the winning possession last night ... McNeal had knocked down 6 treys on the night already, he I'm sure WANTED to put the ball up and very well could have launched an off balance prayer from over in the left wing - he had that shot, the "prayer shot" BUT he didn't take it, he PASSED it to Mutzner who rounded the key finding a wide open Chance Cox - wide open because he WAS WHERE HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE OFFENSE, he was playing his role ... the rest is a Purple 2012-13 highlight - Cox drained the 3 as time ran out ... TEAM wins ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Pfloyd , awesome analysis of game. Must have been a great game to be involved with for the guys in purple. As you mentioned Logan has definately got together as a team and I saw tht against my Warriors. They look like a completely different team than the first meeting we had with them.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks warrior90 ... just as your Warren ball club plays TEAM ball , Logan has jumped on the TEAM bandwagon the last 2 games - what a difference such a small word can make TEAM vs "I" ... it's THE difference between "winning" or "losing" - fact ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:... excellent high school game last night between Athens & the Purple of Logan ... took me awhile to get to sleep last night thinking about the play on the court for both Athens and Logan ... on the Athens side NOT having Zacchia Saltzman on the court HURT! as I watched the game I could see in my mind the spots where ZS would have made his presence known on the court - I could see the opportunities that were not taken by AHS where ZS would have done what he does as well as anyone - he would have split the defense, taken the ball to the rim ... I told Coach Skinner before the game that Zacchia (only a freshman) gets to the rim as well as anyone in Southern Ohio- taking the ball into the paint from the perimeter or taking the baseline (quick first step and good body strength) ... the other obvious "Saltzman time" moment when the Bulldogs missed SZ - Athens as good as they are (and they are a very good basketball team) has a short bench with Saltzman 2 deep off the bench without Saltzman that drops to 1 ... last night foul trouble forced Ibi Watson to the bench part of the 3rd and 4th quarters - Watson (freshman stand out #2) is Mr. Cool on the floor, handles the ball, scores from anywhere, gets the ball to the bigs IN THE PAINT ... last night in a 4 minutes stretch that saw Logan tie the game and take the lead for the first time in the game... Athens had no Watson on the floor , Athens had no Saltzman on the floor resulting in the Bulldogs looking a little lost on the offensive end as AHS did not get past the top of the key in starting their offense (that in itself was a win for my Purple) ... Elmore didn't see the ball in the paint/the one entry pass that was attempted in that time frame (6:26 - 2:44 in the 4th) was deflected and stolen by LHS ... I saw this stretch of the game as one critical to the Logan win, while emphasizing the value of Zacchia Saltzman to this Athens TEAM ... with all of that said - this Purple fan wishes the best for Zacchia Saltzman in getting back on the floor as quickly as possible for Coach Skinner and the Athens Bulldogs ... best of luck to AHS the rest of the season and into the post season ...

... now I didn't just think about the Athens Bulldogs when trying to get to sleep - I was comprehending what I saw from my Logan Purple as well .... How does a 4-10 team have league leading Warren on the ropes ! have Coach Maddox for Warren thanking the basketball gods for letting his Warriors ESCAPE Jim's Gym ? this same Logan Purple turns around and takes Athens into overtime AND get's the "W" vs 14-2 Athens ?? ........... the last 2 games the Purple have played as a TEAM ... ball movement on offense, fewer TOs resulting in MORE "shots on goal", the energy level has been turned up (more PT for the youngsters - Joey Cottrill starting at PG, Chance Cox's great defensive efforts AND he is fearless in taking the good perimeter three ( 2 threes vs Athens one to tie the game in the 4th, one to win it in OT), Nick Kost's speed/quickness- he brings the defensive pressure/he gets to the rim, Gabe Smith - energy in the paint, physical in the paint, he WANTS to put a body on someone LOL ... the seniors have accepted the youngsters on the floor, junior Joey Cottrill handles the ball AND CAN GET IT UP COURT UNDER PRESSURE ... the game has slowed down for Logan with Cottrill at the point - under opponents pressure prior to the Warren game, the Purple looked hurried/in panic mode NOW with Cottrill at PG - there is no panic, players are where they are supposed to be when the opposition pressures the ball, the ball gets up court, the TOs are down , Bird McNeal can now do what he is supposed to do in the Logan offense he's a perimeter threat, he's knocking down the 3 ball (6 last night vs Athens), McNeal is not a PG, he no longer has that pressure of trying to be something he is not - he can do what he does best ... score the ball from the perimeter, Tristan Myers has had a great season, he continues to be a beast in the paint, he NOW knows that the offense is being run, he is now MORE in the correct position in the paint to rebound and/or get the ball on the blocks to score ... bottom line for the Purple of Logan - the last 2 games they have played as a TEAM, players filling their roles, the Purple offense has been put in motion and everyone on the court KNOWS where the ball is going, knows where they are supposed to be in the offense, knows that execution will result in points ... the BEST example of players knowing their roles, accepting their roles, playing as a TEAM was the winning possession last night ... McNeal had knocked down 6 treys on the night already, he I'm sure WANTED to put the ball up and very well could have launched an off balance prayer from over in the left wing - he had that shot, the "prayer shot" BUT he didn't take it, he PASSED it to Mutzner who rounded the key finding a wide open Chance Cox - wide open because he WAS WHERE HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE OFFENSE, he was playing his role ... the rest is a Purple 2012-13 highlight - Cox drained the 3 as time ran out ... TEAM wins ...

completely baffles my how you could analyze so much with 93Dog barking in your ear all night ... unbelievable!

Pfloyd = the ultimate multi-tasker!

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

Sorry I missed this one looks like it was a very exciting entertaining game. I bet pflyod and 93 were almost as entertaining as this game. lol Look forward to seeing the duo at the Convo.

Return to “Boys Basketball”