Valley D-4 sectional

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: Valley D-4 sectional

Post by Crab's Brother »

Tartan Sauce wrote:I agree with Titan Pride on this. I think that East was clear cut 2 or 3, dropped to 3 but oh well.
Based on what?

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

How tough was the SHL this year? I certainly don't think it was as good top to bottom as it has been. Outside of Eastern Brown and possibly Peebles I'm not sured the league will get a win at the district level.

Strength of schedule should play a factor in the seedings, but to what degree? Are we going to knock the top college programs who play cupcakes nearly the whole first month of the season? No, not as long as they do play some good teams and win some of those.

Whiteoak is 12-8, what was their best win this season? Fairfield is 10-10. They have a worse record against D-IV teams than D-II I believe. It's the quality of the opponent, not always what division they play in. What is their best win? Who have they beat that you are arguing East couldn't have?

East is 14-5, with signature wins against #2 South Webster and #2 Symmes Valley. Granted SV has taken a nose dive, but at their best have beaten East and ND. Playing in the SOC I, you're going to play some bad D-IV teams each year, but the top of the league was very good. Eastern Pike 2x, Notre Dame 2x, Symmes Valley 2x and then throw in SW 2x.

The bottom of the SHL was just as bad, if not worse than the SOC I. Another suggestion, start playing each other in the regular season. I commend Whiteoak for playing ND and Portsmouth, it gives a more accurate/meaningful score comparison. I feel certain that if Whiteoak/Fairfield/Manchester played more SOC schools in the regular season and beat them, they'd get the nod even if there record is slightly worse.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

From what my understanding is it will be this Saturday .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

socsportsfan1 wrote:How tough was the SHL this year? I certainly don't think it was as good top to bottom as it has been. Outside of Eastern Brown and possibly Peebles I'm not sured the league will get a win at the district level.

Strength of schedule should play a factor in the seedings, but to what degree? Are we going to knock the top college programs who play cupcakes nearly the whole first month of the season? No, not as long as they do play some good teams and win some of those.

Whiteoak is 12-8, what was their best win this season? Fairfield is 10-10. They have a worse record against D-IV teams than D-II I believe. It's the quality of the opponent, not always what division they play in. What is their best win? Who have they beat that you are arguing East couldn't have?

East is 14-5, with signature wins against #2 South Webster and #2 Symmes Valley. Granted SV has taken a nose dive, but at their best have beaten East and ND. Playing in the SOC I, you're going to play some bad D-IV teams each year, but the top of the league was very good. Eastern Pike 2x, Notre Dame 2x, Symmes Valley 2x and then throw in SW 2x.

The bottom of the SHL was just as bad, if not worse than the SOC I. Another suggestion, start playing each other in the regular season. I commend Whiteoak for playing ND and Portsmouth, it gives a more accurate/meaningful score comparison. I feel certain that if Whiteoak/Fairfield/Manchester played more SOC schools in the regular season and beat them, they'd get the nod even if there record is slightly worse.
Just being informative....

SHL

Big Schools

D3 Eastern Brown 18-2 (beat Whiteoak by 7)
D3 Peebles 15-4 (beat Whiteoak by 2)
D3 North Adams 11-9 (beat Whiteoak twice)
D3 Lynchburg 7-11 (Whiteoak beat twice)
D3 West Union 3-15 (Whiteoak killed them)

Small Schools

D4 Whiteoak 12-8
D4 Fayetteville 11-7 (Whiteoak beat twice)
D4 Fairfield 10-10 (split with Whiteoak)
D4 Ripley 8-12 (Whiteoak beat twice)
D4 Manchester 5-14 (Whiteoak beat twice)

The SHAC is pretty solid for their school sizes. They will probably only have 3 or 4 schools make it to the district level. I personally believe Whiteoak and Fairfield are the 4th and 5th best SE District D4 teams.

The system is flawed....I don't blame any coach, but the system is flawed across the sports (excluding football) all over the SE District.

Good luck to all teams! I predict Eastern Pike vs South Webster in one district final and Notre Dame vs East in the other.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

Thanks for the information. I was not knocking the SHAC at all, it's a very good bball league. I think it is fair to say though, that it's not as good as it has been over the past 5-10 years. Peebles is good, but not as good as they were with Seaman and Justice. North Adams is a far from where Dave Young had them most of the past decade. Manchester finally came back to earth. I could go on.

As I asked, who were there best wins against. For Whiteoak, it appears to be 1 over (10-10) Fairfield, and (11-7) Fayettville. I don't think you deserve a ton of credit just playing teams close. Some, but very little. Manchester has played Whiteoak and Fairfield both close recently haven't they? What about quality wins for Fairfield, other than 1 over Whiteoak?

What the top teams from the SOC have done over the past decade in the tournament speaks for itself. Just as what the top D-IV SHAC teams have done stands on its own also.

1. Eastern Pike 1. Whiteoak
2. Notre Dame 2. Fayetteville
3. Sciotoville 3. Fairfield
4. Symmes Valley 4. Ripley
5. Green 5. Manchester

I'd take those matchups this season if I were the SOC. The SOC I was 4-0 against the SHAC this regular season I believe.

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

yes real good information ironman. I never knew Ripley was a small school and I never knew they were d4 but hey I guess you can lose 100s of kids over a couple years. What happened there? Did a massive plant shut down and everybody move away? Very strange

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

D4hero wrote:yes real good information ironman. I never knew Ripley was a small school and I never knew they were d4 but hey I guess you can lose 100s of kids over a couple years. What happened there? Did a massive plant shut down and everybody move away? Very strange
Ripley is D3, my error

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

socsportsfan1 wrote:Thanks for the information. I was not knocking the SHAC at all, it's a very good bball league. I think it is fair to say though, that it's not as good as it has been over the past 5-10 years. Peebles is good, but not as good as they were with Seaman and Justice. North Adams is a far from where Dave Young had them most of the past decade. Manchester finally came back to earth. I could go on.

As I asked, who were there best wins against. For Whiteoak, it appears to be 1 over (10-10) Fairfield, and (11-7) Fayettville. I don't think you deserve a ton of credit just playing teams close. Some, but very little. Manchester has played Whiteoak and Fairfield both close recently haven't they? What about quality wins for Fairfield, other than 1 over Whiteoak?

What the top teams from the SOC have done over the past decade in the tournament speaks for itself. Just as what the top D-IV SHAC teams have done stands on its own also.

1. Eastern Pike 1. Whiteoak
2. Notre Dame 2. Fayetteville
3. Sciotoville 3. Fairfield
4. Symmes Valley 4. Ripley
5. Green 5. Manchester

I'd take those matchups this season if I were the SOC. The SOC I was 4-0 against the SHAC this regular season I believe.
The initial matchup might come early in the tourney....which is my biggest problem. One big supersectional and Eastern/Whiteoak aren't playing this early....nor are WO/FF

On a flipside......I'm not looking for any extra, but I always like to look at the worst losses as well just to give a bit of an upsetability factor. Whiteoak's worst loss was to a 10-10 Fairfield team at Fairfield or a 7-12 Hillsboro D2 team by blowing a late lead at Hillsboro.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

lightle04 wrote:From what my understanding is it will be this Saturday .

I heard the same, Saturday Feb 16th

CoachBrittonFL
Freshman Team

Post by CoachBrittonFL »

Anyone have the remaining schedule for Notre Dame? I have seen East, Eastern, SW play I wouldn't mind watching the Titans play before the convo

TitanPride
Freshman Team

Post by TitanPride »

BigShooter- The Titans take on Ironton St. Joseph tonight at the new Ironton girls gym. JV starts at 6. Then the Titans take on Symmes Valley at home this Friday which I the last regular season game, and senior night. Should be interesting the Titans looking for some revenge after a disappointing appearance out in Willow Wood. JV also starts at 6.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Norte Dame is going to physicaly destroy Symmes Valley. Revenge is a great motivator !!

white thunder
Riding the Bench

Post by white thunder »

How many games does Eastern have left and when are they going to play them?

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

I know Eastern has Western on Friday at Eastern, and then according to Lightle they play East on Saturday. Is that correct Lightle?

CoachBrittonFL
Freshman Team

Post by CoachBrittonFL »

According to the brackets ND should have 3 games left they are 16-3 unless they are not playing a full schedule 22 games

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

IndianFan4life wrote:The East vs Eastern game will be Tuesday the 12th.

And blah, blah, blah, yawn! This is the same old rhetoric I have heard for the last 25 years. Play the game your dealt, and if you really are the better team, then 4 qtrs will prove you right. Its tourney time people, the time for talking is over. Now, its time to let your game do the talking. There has never been a time that a team hasnt felt as if they should have went here, or gotten a different seed.

Oh, and by the way keep up the billboard material about teams having weak schedules that include the likes of lowly Western. We love it.... Wont be sophs next year.......
Listen bud, I will give credit when its due. Western will be improved in the next couple years, but at this point they are not a quality win or schedule and I'm not going to act like they are. Just as in the past Manchester has been a big game on everyones schedule and now this is not the case. It is easy to not complain about the seeding when you are on the right side of it. Western has only been in the SOC for about 10 years so I doubt you have heard this exact argument for 25 years considering they used to get abused in the SHL.

..............................and that my friend is the UGLY TRUTH!!!!!

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

ND vs Raceland game this year was cancelled due to snow twice this year.

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

Anyone else annoyed by reading the end of theuglytruth's posts everytime?? This might really be "the ugly truth" haha. Anyway this should be an exciting tournament! Really looking forward to watching some basketball at the Convo. It's the best time of the year!!!

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

IndianFan4life wrote:I know Eastern has Western on Friday at Eastern, and then according to Lightle they play East on Saturday. Is that correct Lightle?

From my sources this is correct, and I've also heard the games @ Zane Trace and against Northwest will not be made up.

Lightle - Have you heard the same?

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

jimmy chipwood wrote:To go a little further into this whole strength of schedule debate. Im curious as to what some of you think Portsmouth East's record would be playing Fairfields schedule to this point? Be honest about it and just dont throw out a number, look at each team above and decide. Here is my opinion (and I think East has a nice team with good senior leadership). Wins = Manchester & West Union. Losses = SE, GM, NA, Hills, MT, ZT, EB, Peeb, EC, WCH. Chance = Ripley, Whiteoak (2x), Fay. So East's record playing this schedule would be somewhere between 6-10 to 2-14 - probably right around 3-13. This is why Fairfield/Whiteoak people complain year after year about the sectional draw.
This my post from page 3 of this topic. Nobody answered the question.

Return to “Boys Basketball”