ATHENS (7-1) vs WARREN (8-1): Jan. 8th

freethrow
Varsity

Re: ATHENS (7-1) vs WARREN (8-1): Jan. 8th

Post by freethrow »

I lot of high school games I watch kids are scared to take a charge and start to fall back before the player makes contact. that call surely didn't decide that game. Didn't Athens have an 11 point lead at one point, did Athens have any time outs left doing that last 10 seconds? If so why not call one to set up a play instead of an out of control shot or would that be second guessing the coach? In any event it's over and time to move on to the next game.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I never said it decided the game ... a ton of things happened in the last minute ...

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I saw 3 flops last night in Wellston. None were called a foul.

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

The refs should know better than to discuss their calls in the hallway, even if they are intended to be private....you can see what happens....but you are a good man 93Bulldog, you get a mulligan on this one....let's keep the focus on the kids....was a lot of fun to see such great skill by so many underclassmen, on both teams....I know the Warrior boys, but hadn't seen the other Athen's boys besides the 2 sophomores, such as 14 and 20, etc....both teams are well positioned for the next couple of years, perhaps Athens even more than Warren....GO BLUE!!!!

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

There are flops every where including high school

CoachBrittonFL
Freshman Team

Post by CoachBrittonFL »

Was not at the game last night, but there is talk about the players having to do a better job of controlling themselves and keeping composure. I open the paper today to read about the close game and I see Coach Skinner's comments in the paper. Very suprised about his comment, I am not sure if he thought he was off record or thought that he was talking to the reporter as a friend, but you cannot make a comment like that. I understand he was upset and standing up for his kids but you do not go after a official in the paper, and using a cuss word to boot. Not good for Coach Skinner, I wonder if he will get repremanded by the Athens administration or the state. I know in the past the OHSAA has been very strict in calling out an official after the game. Good luck to both of these teams.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

having worked for the newspaper - I've seen and put worse quotes by coaches in articles before ... it was only three sentences - I hardly think he wil be repremanded for it.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

wouldn't be suprised to see the article get to the state office they frown on coaches making comments on official in the media.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

wouldn't be surprised if it was greatone who sends it ...

:)

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

I would assume the official could but I'd think he'd just ignore the whole thing, it all comes with the territory.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Great game for both teams. Athens looks tough when they run. Sad the refs let warren slap and ride burrow. Looked like athens was gonna blow them out

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Great ball game for both teams 2 of the best in SE Ohio. No matter the games final outcome somebody wasn't going home happy. That's the nature of "high stakes" competition. The 2nd half and especially the final 2 minuets were a contrast in coaching styles. Coach Maddox was methodical using timeouts like a surgeon gradually "stopping the bleeding" and putting the Warriors in a position to make plays and they did. On the other side Coach Skinner at times choose to let the Bulldogs "play through" including the games final plays. Neither way is wrong as you see games won all the time where no TO is called and the team runs down and hits that game winning buzzer beater. If I were a betting man I think if the roles are reversed Coach Maddox takes that last timeout and sets up something to run. I think it's an interesting thought.
This notion that because Athens has all the "underclassmen" that they are somehow inexperienced. The trio have been through a season and a half of varsity basketball and played in the Conco at the District Tournament last season. On the other hand the trio of Yabs, Pannell and Lang all key contributors didn't get these kinda min in this type of game until this season. So in reality Warren and Athens are closer in the experience colloum than a you see at first glance.

In any event both teams and coaching staffs did a great job! Both teams played a great game and both coaching staffs prepared well and made nice adjustments in the course of the game. That's why it's always hard to see either team lose a game like this. Truly a tournament atmosphere. Can't wait for March!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Burrow was the only starter back from last year that played against Warren.
Ryan leurhman played last year - but he was in street cloths Tuesday.
Adam Leurhman (#44) was on the JV team.
Ibi Watson & Zacchia Saltzmen - were both playing middle school basketball last year.

Not sure where you getting "the trio" part?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

It may depend on the outcome of the Vinton County/Athens game next Friday - but if Warren was to get the No. 1 seed - and Athens the No. 2 seed ... these two teams would be hard pressed to see each other again this season ... they would have to get to the regional finals - which is a pretty tall order.

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

Warren goes 1-17 from three point range AT Athens and still wins ??? WOW !!!

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

This isnt the first time Athens has lost to Warren on the last second shot. It is however on their own court this time. I enjoy watching both coaches. Nothing like a hard fought high school basketball game.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

We erased the shot up in Logan a few years ago from our memory - so I'm not sure which other gamers your referring too ... :)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Johnny Quest wrote:Warren goes 1-17 from three point range AT Athens and still wins ??? WOW !!!
There it is.

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

Very true 32. Just curious what Warren's record is against Athens during Maddox's tenure? Anyone ??? Thanks.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

After watching the reply on Channel 15 it was very clear who was the most calm, composed and professional coach. Coach Maddox called several time outs late to set things including the last play while coach Skinner was doing nothing but yelling and complaining at the officials. Oh and that was a huge flop and a great no call. If anything should have been an and one.

Return to “Boys Basketball”