Rules question

osumufan
SE

Rules question

Post by osumufan »

South Point was playing a KY team and the KY played some of their boys 7 quarters in a night.A couple boys played all 4 quarters in JV then 3 on the varsity game. I thought they could only have 5 in one night? Shouldn't the Ky schools have to go by Ohio rules when playing in Ohio.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: Rules question

Post by 4thgoal »

I don't think they have to go by the OHSAA quarter rule at any point. They have to report their quarters played to KY (if they even have a requirement), so there is no reason to think they would care what the OH rule would limit them to.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

the rules in ky are different, not sure what the quarter limit is or if they even have one. i believe 7th and 8th graders can still play on high school teams as well.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

This has been a discussion that has gone on for several years when KY teams come across the river. It has been asked of the OHSAA and they OHSAA's answer is "we have no jurisdiction over KY teams and their quarter requirements."

I have seen teams in kentucky only keep 5 or 6 guys out of the JV game (varsity starters and a senior non-starter) and use everyone else on the jv bench, then bring in jv starters as 6, 7 and 8 and use for 8 quarters a night.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Spoke with a veteran official on this and he said they get 5 quarters, just like the home team. If they violate it, technical foul and the player cannot reenter. This heres Ohier, if they want to play more, stay in hilltucky! lol

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

Sounds to me not all officials are calling it the same. Oh well, not a shocker.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

We played Rose Hill a few years ago. Sometime between 2006 and 2008. They had 2-3 players that played 7-8 quarters the first year (at Rose Hill). Not sure about the second year. That was a much different Rose Hill team at the time also.

PEAKER76
Waterboy

Post by PEAKER76 »

I spoke with OHSAA about this a coupe of months ago Ky teams play by Ky rules not Ohio rules they can play as many quarters Ky will allow we cannot issue technical fouls for this

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

PEAKER76 wrote:I spoke with OHSAA about this a coupe of months ago Ky teams play by Ky rules not Ohio rules they can play as many quarters Ky will allow we cannot issue technical fouls for this
This is what I have been told, too. Sounds like the word needs to get out to the referee eagles73 spoke with or the OHSAA needs to make it clear to all OHSAA officials. This isn't an uncommon occurrence when it comes to different states doing different things and a conflict when they cross states.

Return to “Boys Basketball”