Wellston rockets

Rockets141
Waterboy

Wellston rockets

Post by Rockets141 »

I have been to the two scrimmages wellston has had this week and they will have a very talented group of boys. They aren't real deep but they have a strong line up(by far the biggest in their conference). The new transfer who is about 6"3 and a very strong player who can get to the basket. Lacks defense but is still a good player. Justus ousley who looks to be who wellston needs to rely on. He needs the ball in his hands. He will be a very dominant player on offense and a game changer on defense standing at 6"6 and being able to block shots. Andrew Richards who is a load to deal with on the low block and is a very strong kid. The rockets have absolutely rolled everybody that I have watched them play. Monday they had Ervin, brown, ousley, and a freshman point guard all knocking down their shots while smith got to the basket very well and Richards pushed around down low. With the one-two punch of ousley and smith they should be right in the race to win the TVC Ohio. Good luck rockets.

bevo
Varsity

Re: Wellston rockets

Post by bevo »

Rockets141 wrote:I have been to the two scrimmages wellston has had this week and they will have a very talented group of boys. They aren't real deep but they have a strong line up(by far the biggest in their conference). The new transfer who is about 6"3 and a very strong player who can get to the basket. Lacks defense but is still a good player. Justus ousley who looks to be who wellston needs to rely on. He needs the ball in his hands. He will be a very dominant player on offense and a game changer on defense standing at 6"6 and being able to block shots. Andrew Richards who is a load to deal with on the low block and is a very strong kid. The rockets have absolutely rolled everybody that I have watched them play. Monday they had Ervin, brown, ousley, and a freshman point guard all knocking down their shots while smith got to the basket very well and Richards pushed around down low. With the one-two punch of ousley and smith they should be right in the race to win the TVC Ohio. Good luck rockets.
prob be picked to finish 3rd behind athens and vinton co those teams are crazy athletic and fast

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Who has Wellston scrimmaged?

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

They open at Eastern Pike . Eastern just scrimaged Vinton County yesterday.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Until they play with more descipline - I don't see the Rockets contending ... they were very talented last year and they finished (5-5 in the TVC-Ohio) ... they had Ousley, player of the year Nigel Courts, a PG in Austin Craig and Blake Warrington - but barely finished above .500 overall on the season ... the same problems they had last year were evident at the preview Friday when they tied Miller 27-27 ... Wellston has maybe the best post player in the league - but he plays 3-point line - to - 3-point line ... he looked great throwing down dunks in the pre-game, but then never once took it down on the block during the game ...

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Exactly what I was thinking. The coach needs to put him on the block and tell him not to leave it

DukeBlueDevils
Waterboy

Post by DukeBlueDevils »

I have watched several scrimmages and they looked much better than what they did in the preview. They looked really tired and uncaring at the preview. I can see why they were tired because they did scrimmage four teams earlier in the day including a very good Bloom Carol squad. However that shouldn't be an excuse for how lazy and undisciplined they looked, especially on the defensive end.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Who have they scrimmaged?

DukeBlueDevils
Waterboy

Post by DukeBlueDevils »

They have scrimmaged Portsmouth Clay, South Gallia, Bloom Carrol, Bern Union, and a three other teams I belive. They scrimmaged at Bern Union at 11 in the morning the day of the preview. Heard talk that most the the players were very tired by the time they got to play Miller at the preview.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Wellstons starting 5 should be pretty big and have a lot of experience . Shouldn't they?

strokn7
Riding the Bench

Post by strokn7 »

Are we talking about the same Wellston team I saw Bloom Carroll scrimmage? They were pretty big and athletic but I cannot see them having a great year. They lost to BC 26-6 in a session and were down 16-0 when BC took their two best players out. I would think Vinton County and Athens will easily handle Wellston.

blacksheep_24
Waterboy

Post by blacksheep_24 »

Ousley is a tall kid, but very lanky. Let him catch the ball near the elbow or higher, and make a move to the basket, he may get pushed around on the block (and if he doesnt, great, let him lay on the block and score from post moves), but he could be very dangerous if he learns to get to the rim off the dribble. Let Richards push people around down low, pick up offensive boards and get some garbage buckets, which he does well. Smith also needs to get to the basket and score, which he can do. Brown, Ervin, and Womeldorf need to play within themselves and move the ball around, they also need hit the occasional open shot when they are presented with one. But, even if the Rockets do all of this I believe it will be very hard for them to beat Coach Combs and the Vikings.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

The one thing Vinton doesn't have is size so maybe you guys can get them this time around.

Return to “Boys Basketball”