Pioneer Valley Conference-Early thoughts and predictions

redskinwitness
Varsity

Re: Pioneer Valley Conference-Early thoughts and predictions

Post by redskinwitness »

No way does River lose three games in the league this winter. I see it playing out this way:
1. River 11-1 (loss to Fort on the road)
2. Fort 10-2 (loss to River on the road and loss @ Trail)
3. Trail 8-4 (loss both to River, loss @ Fort, loss @ Caldwell)
4. Caldwell 6-6 (loss both to river, loss both to fort, loss @ trail, loss @ shenandoah)
5. Shenandoah 4-8 (loss both to river, loss both to fort, loss both to trail, loss @ caldwell, loss @ central)
6. Central 3-9 (will beat Frontier both times and split with Shenandoah)
7. Frontier 0-12 (same team as last season, they were awful and won't win a game, though they will compete much better and could sneak a win or two in if someone isn't careful)

The league will be very competitive and is much better than it was during football. EasternDspy, we know you love Fort but you need to relax, if someone picks against them you get way to defensive. They will be very good this winter. As for saying their posts need to get more physical, they were easily the two most physical posts in this league last winter and are back. Trail will have good guard play but they will not be strong in the post compared to last winter. I see them about the same as a year ago. Fort will be close to what they were last year, River will be better. Caldwell will be much improved. Shenandoah won't be as good as last winter. Central and Frontier will be improved as well. Just my two cents. I've seen a lot of basketball over the year and try to look at things as unbiased as possible.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Frontier was 6-14 last season return everyone and you say they go 0-12?Also FF never has a post player and they have won the league 9 out of 11 yrs.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I really like that teams are stepping up non league schedules...River- Hiland,Athens. Fort Frye New Lex ,Pburg South. Frontier- Marietta....Any other new league games?

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

EasternDspy wrote:Frontier was 6-14 last season return everyone and you say they go 0-12?Also FF never has a post player and they have won the league 9 out of 11 yrs.
Haha....chill out, you sound like an upset third grader. Nobody is disrespecting your Cadets, they will be very good and compete for a league title as usual. But this isn't 9 of the past 11 years, this is a new season and River returns the most, plain and simple.

As for Frontier, please list me the scrub teams they beat last winter because they were 0-12 in the P.V.C and they lost their leading scorer in the Minder kid. I know they were the 8th of 9 teams in the sectional last winter too.

As for schedule upgrades, it is nice to see league teams challenge themselves in the non-conference. It can only help out at tournament time. Caldwell is playing both Rosecrans and Ridgewood in the classic @ West Muskingum in January. I know they have a home game with Claymont who is supposed to be really good.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

They beat Waterford,Bridgport,Clay Battelle I don't really remember but I know they won some games and weren't terrible.Scheidner boy is pretty good player can shoot.Taylor Merckle got a lot better inside and is strong.Jefferson I believe was leading scorer with 9 ppg.A 3 year starter that has worked on the outside game.He is atheltic.Eddie Salazar is a good defender when not in foul trouble.

J8fusl
Freshman Team

Post by J8fusl »

man frontier is bad. they have the worst coach in the county and Jefferson is good but honestly can not create a shot for anyone let alone himself.. sorry spy just a reality check for ya.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

They will be like 7-15 they will win some league games.

MC Noles SportsFan
Freshman Team

Post by MC Noles SportsFan »

buckfarnesville14 wrote:
EasternDspy wrote:7.Monroe Central- I like Levi Browns defense and that's about it(0-12).
If you think Monroe Central goes 0-12 in league play you're dead wrong.
EasternDspy wrote:Well inlight us on Monroe Central?

I think he already did "inlight" you

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Give us some info on MC

J8fusl
Freshman Team

Post by J8fusl »

I can tell you without ever watching them play..... that they are athletic. have a better coach than last yr. and have way less expectations than last year. all that equals a better than expected record in the coming season. not gonna be in the top of the league, but could challenge teams in the bottom half... am i right noles fan?

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

I think they will be better for sure. The last coaching staff was not good, they had talent and athleticism and did little with it. Who all will they have? I know they will have Laffre, Brown, Jorris....sophomore class is my sons age and have always been solid. It would help them a lot to have Nixon back, he is a really good athlete.

MC Noles SportsFan
Freshman Team

Post by MC Noles SportsFan »

J8fusl wrote:I can tell you without ever watching them play..... that they are athletic. have a better coach than last yr. and have way less expectations than last year. all that equals a better than expected record in the coming season. not gonna be in the top of the league, but could challenge teams in the bottom half... am i right noles fan?

I would probably agree with most of that, mainly the better than expected record part. I'm not one to make many predictions...but as said, this is an athletic group of kids who I think will surprise some teams with their effort and hard work on the court, Coach Tolzda might have to keep some attitudes in check...but he won't have a problem in doing that. I'm not saying they will be anywhere near the top of the conference, but I'd be surprised if they were winless as said before, and win or lose teams are going to know they were in a tough battle on most nights.

tomahawkchop
Riding the Bench

Post by tomahawkchop »

Josh Guiler will be very physical under the hoop for MC. Lafferre very good at taking it to the hole. Jorris boys can knock down the outside shot. Brown tough on the D end if ankles hold up. MC could surprise some teams this year. Would have made a big difference if Nixon was able to play. Will have him healthy next season. Some good role players on the bench as well.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

Who will be the starters or rotation for each of these teams? From what I remember the past year and seeing some of them this summer.......

River-Price, Marconi, Caldwell, Eggleston, Indermule, Isally

Fort-Smith, Lang, Anderson, Lagrean, (forget the returning post players name, can see him though)

Trail-Bever, Roe, Tyler Starr, Lane Starr, Toland, Gray, Doudna

Caldwell-Weichman, Harding, Carpenter, Leasure, Baker, Figel, Clark

Shenandoah-Nuehart, Hurst, Bond, Farnsworth, Lyster

Central-Brown, Jorris, Jorris, Laffre, Guiler

Frontier-Salazar, Eddy, Jefferson, Merkle

Route40Classic
Riding the Bench

Post by Route40Classic »

I saw River, Fort, Caldwell, Shenandoah, Trail and Central this summer.

My picks based off of each time I saw these teams:
1. River 2. FF 3. Trail 4. Caldwell 5. Shenandoah 6. or 7. Central or Frontier

I know nothing about Frontier. Central will struggle.
I think that 1 or 2 could flip flop and 3 or 4 could as well. I do not think Doah will break the top 4.

You never count FF out obviously. They are under new leadership this year (kind of). It will be interesting to see differences.
Caldwell has some real nice shooters. If Harding gets going, the boy doesn't miss. If Weichman plays with his teammates and understands how to use his teammates, he could be VERY dangerous.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye- Shon Smith 5-10 Sr,Caden Brooker 6-1P Sr,Chandler Lang 5-10 W/G Jr,Jordan Anderson 6-0 W Jr, Seth Legrean 6-3 So P. Bench Tyler Norris 6-1 W Sr,Kyle Hesson 5-9 Sr,Dom Omsbach 5-10 W Sr, Madison 6-2 P So, Colton Shuster 5-7 PG Jr....I like the 3 Srs off the bench.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Frontier. PG Drew Schneider Jr, W Eddie Salazar Sr,W Jay Eddy Sr,P Jordan Jefferson Sr, P Taylor Merckle Sr. Bench Cole Farley 6-3 Sr,Jared Irvin 5-10 G Sr,Dusty Wright 6-0 SR,Dylan Oneal 6-2 Sr

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Its basketball season baby teams are hard at practice.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I like Fort Frye JV team this year. 4 Freshman- Issac Klinger,Carter Kiefer,Tanner Rice,Derek Lawton...None of them have a lot of size but they all have FF skills.

Jakefromstatefarm
Varsity

Post by Jakefromstatefarm »

IMO, FF and River will be battling it out at the top. I actually think they split, each taking down the other on their home court. Trail and Caldwell will battle it out for the 3 spot. And I wouldn't be surprised if one of them steals a win against river or ff. Shenandoah still has Hurst and Neuhart, but after that their doesn't seem to be a whole lot. Not enough depth to battle against the top teams. Central and frontier will be at the bottom again, although I do think both will be improved from last year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”