Hocking league

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Hocking league

Post by Dundas »

We shall see! The Vikings looked pretty good against Marietta and Washington Court House last weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing how Southern looks compared to those bigger schools. It should be a good afternoon of basketball!

motox21
Waterboy

Post by motox21 »

Belpre will be at Caldwell this Saturday I figure I will venture there to see how they play without Ullman. I was at the Waterford scrimmage last week and it's obvious they have a big 3, Shriver, Moore and Porter. But Simms needs to figure out his other two starters, I feel like Strahler will be a good fit for point and possibly Ellis or Bauerbagh for a 5th man.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I thought Ginther was starting for Waterford?What about Hilverding?

motox21
Waterboy

Post by motox21 »

EasternDspy wrote:I thought Ginther was starting for Waterford?What about Hilverding?

Hilverding was a Senior last year so he is gone. Both Ginther twins I believe are sitting up this year as sophomores. I think Mitch Ginther would make a good 6th or 7th man for the cats, I don't think Brent Ginther will see much time though.

implantcat
Riding the Bench

Post by implantcat »

eaglefan1 wrote:Belpre's Jake Ullman will be playing for Parkersburg Catholic this year. He had some personal issues at belpre. Best of luck to Jake, you will be missed.
Here is the recruiting at it best!!! love the university of "catholic" At least this one is a move out of state and not the constant recruiting of ohio private schools that give scholarships to the "needy" to better their education.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

implantcat wrote:
eaglefan1 wrote:Belpre's Jake Ullman will be playing for Parkersburg Catholic this year. He had some personal issues at belpre. Best of luck to Jake, you will be missed.
Here is the recruiting at it best!!! love the university of "catholic" At least this one is a move out of state and not the constant recruiting of ohio private schools that give scholarships to the "needy" to better their education.
Pretty sure this "isn't" a recruiting situation. Ohio transfers must sit out one year unless the family moves 50 miles. The change of schools wasn't athletically motivated. I'm sure the Ullman family felt it was in the best interest of their child or they wouldn't have transferred him. People jump to conclusions and have no clue what they are talking about, especially when it comes to high profile athletes. "Whatever" issues necessitated the move is a private family matter.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

I don't think we have any high profile athletes in the TVC.

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

This is by no means a recruiting situation. Jake had some personal problems that I won't put out here for everyone to see, but he will succeed at PC. Best of luck to Jake, and Go Eagles. I still think Belpre will be atop the Hocking league. Return a strong core of players in Leasure, Pittenger, Hoffman and Therriault. Eagles also have seniors Austin Forshey and Joey Byers, who started a few games last year, ready to contribute. I don't know if there will be any freshman stepping up if Miller isn't playing, I sure would like to see him go out. Forshey will have to step up right away to help Hoffman in the backcourt. Leasure, Pittenger and Therriault will all be strong post players, rebounding should not be a problem for this team. I think JT will have them ready to play come game time.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Does Belpre have any post players besides Leasure and Pittenger? Sam Petty has speed and is a good defender so I think he will help in the back court.

FootballFanatic1010
Waterboy

Post by FootballFanatic1010 »

I think Trimble may surprise some people this year.. With that said, belpre and fed will be loaded

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

Anyone have a schedule for each team?

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

And Belpre doesn't have much depth in the post, Therriault is versatile and can play outside or inside. Pittenger or Leasure get in foul trouble then they will bring Forshey, Byers or Petty off the bench and move Therriault to the 4. If Forshey, Byers or Petty can step in and be a good player, then Belpre will again be a top the league.

joe_tornadoe
Freshman Team

Post by joe_tornadoe »

Predictions:

1. Belpre: 18-4 (16-1)

2. Federal Hocking: 15-7 (11-5)

3. Eastern: 14-8 (10-6)

4.Waterford: 14-8 (9-7)

5. Miller: 8-14 (8-8)

6. Wahama: 9-13 (6-10)

7. Trimble: 7-15 (6-10)

8. Southern: 8-14 (6-10)

9. South Gallia: 2-20 (0-16)

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

eagle25 wrote:
Remember_The_Name wrote:Anything can happen in the league this season. Only thing that KILLS Southern is playing on the road in the TVC Hocking, @ Eastern, @Wahama, and letting Belpre beat them last year on Home Court due to missed free throws and costly turnovers. Yes, Southern will have height, and i believe Tristen Wolfe can be a well rounded point guard if he can take care of the basketball, just need that one guy to step up big this year, be a leader and keep everyone in line, and the bigs have got to stay out of foul trouble. Look for a lot of teams to zone up on D against southern, could leave the opportunity for some points around the parimeter. As the old saying goes, Hard work beats talent when talent refuses to do hard work. The time is now, gotta get it started.

The league will come down to Fed Hock (Coach Caldwell always knows how to get the best out of his Athletes so hes always considered a contender, no matter the talent level), Southern, and Belpre. In my opinion, those are my top 3 favorites, but pre season picks mean nothing if you cant take care of business on the court and focus on the task at hand. Best of luck to my boys from Southern.
Yea and every team in the Hocking gets cheated out of the gym at Southern. That is funny that a Southern person complains about playing other places. Coach Britton gets the best out of his players too. Eastern will be in the mix.

Try reading what i said a little closer, didnt say we got cheated on the road, we, as a team, dont play good on the road.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

sportslifelove wrote:
Super Trooper wrote:I dont really think Southern is going to be all that good

Southern will have the best post player in Southeastern Ohio. they will be better than most people realize and not just because of him.

Now now kids, lets not get too far ahead of ourselves, best post player in SEO....? little extreme... just maybe? :roll: :roll: :roll:

CoachBrittonFL
Freshman Team

Post by CoachBrittonFL »

I talked with my buddy who said hes watched Eastern play a little bit this year and I talked to Coach Britton last week he said that he really likes his team. My buddy said he the 2 sophomore guards and the freshman guard can pick up the speed of the game in a hurry they will be a force to be reckon with. I guess they played Symmes Valley in a scrimmage/game and lost by 12 but said that the pullins, carnahan kids played well just needed to have the younger kids step up and play well. They said it was a 3-6 point game the entire time. If Eastern can get off to another great start, I think they have the horses to stay at the top, but they are playing with out cook until after xmas and with the Lancers as there 3rd game. They could be playing behind from the start.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Eastern really they are a terrible basketball team.I have watched Belpre,Trimble,Waterford,and Federal Hocking and they are behind all 4.

CoachBrittonFL
Freshman Team

Post by CoachBrittonFL »

Terrible? I wouldn't agree with that. If i was a betting man I would say they would finish in front of Waterford, and Trimble but only time tell. I would have to agree I do not think they are as good as Belpre or Federal Hocking.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I was at FF vs Eastern scrimmage and after 4 qts it was 64-25 1st 2 qts they scored 3 points.They also were worked by Frontier the worst team in PVC.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Also saw Waterford vs Fort Frye and Warren and they looked decent.Played both basketball powers tough.They were beating Warren at half.

Return to “Boys Basketball”