Waverly Coaching situation???

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Re: Waverly Coaching situation???

Post by Ukfanatic »

Steve, who is the one internal candidate?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

smurray wrote:Crab, Travis did not interview at Chillicothe. He was suppose to yesterday but withdrew his application before the interview. He resigned at Waverly and a week later the Chillicothe job came open. Yes, he applied for it but after having time to think about it he decided he still needed to step away. He will coach again, just a matter of when.

Waverly has one internal applicant. They had 2 but 1 withdrew. Word is they may not look outside.

That's all well and good, but let's be honest here. If the man uses the "I have missed so much with my kids playing that I need to step away" line then why would he apply at a state caliber school that has a very big and successful program? Face it, Chillicothe plays a more spread out schedule and travels more to play the best of the best. That job would cause even more time away from the family. I have no problem with anyone trying to move up in the coaching ranks. That is how America works. You get a job and you work to get something bigger and better and move up the ladder. I applaud him applying but don't blow smoke up the rears of the people from Waverly. I know that people from "closer to the situation" will probably say that there is more to the story, but from the outside looking in it appears that Travis seen the cupboard bare and wanted to move on without saying that Waverly is not going to be any good and I want to go where I have some talent. Waverly should be a good job for any coach but how does it look when a young coach coming off a district championship resigns only to apply somewhere else?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Crab, before anyone (not just you) draws conclusions based on how things appear from the outside, they should talk to the man himself. Some folks have posted on other threads bashing Travis and saying some of the same things you have just said. No, Waverly will not have a Jake Kretzer next year but the cupboard is not totally bare either - that is not the reason for stepping away. The man is human, a young coach, and who wouldn't be tempted by the Chilly job. It came open a week after he resigned from Waverly and he applied with not much time to think about it. After more time to really think and reflect on it he went back to his original decision to step away. Maybe it will be one year. Maybe two years or more - time will tell, but if he resigned from Waverly because the cupbaord is bare and knew he was going to coach somewhere else he would not have withdrawn from Chillicothe (dream job). He was to be interviewed the evening he withdrew and from what I was told was in the top 3 if not the top 2 candidates (He and Lisath). I have been accused of trying to be his savior on here and to wake up and smell the roses so to speak - I just happen to know some of the reasoning for stepping away and think it is unfair for folks to come on these kind of sites (hiding behind screen names) to bash the man for it, thinking they know more than they do. Who knows, maybe he'll be coaching the Tigers again after a year away.

ukfanatic,
It would be unfair of me to post who the one candidate is in case he/she does not get the job. If the school wants to make it known that's up to them.

Bandwagoner
Freshman Team

Post by Bandwagoner »

I heard Taylor Ward has recently applied for the job? lol. He isnt the one internal applicant is he?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

smurray wrote:Crab, before anyone (not just you) draws conclusions based on how things appear from the outside, they should talk to the man himself. Some folks have posted on other threads bashing Travis and saying some of the same things you have just said. No, Waverly will not have a Jake Kretzer next year but the cupboard is not totally bare either - that is not the reason for stepping away. The man is human, a young coach, and who wouldn't be tempted by the Chilly job. It came open a week after he resigned from Waverly and he applied with not much time to think about it. After more time to really think and reflect on it he went back to his original decision to step away. Maybe it will be one year. Maybe two years or more - time will tell, but if he resigned from Waverly because the cupbaord is bare and knew he was going to coach somewhere else he would not have withdrawn from Chillicothe (dream job). He was to be interviewed the evening he withdrew and from what I was told was in the top 3 if not the top 2 candidates (He and Lisath). I have been accused of trying to be his savior on here and to wake up and smell the roses so to speak - I just happen to know some of the reasoning for stepping away and think it is unfair for folks to come on these kind of sites (hiding behind screen names) to bash the man for it, thinking they know more than they do. Who knows, maybe he'll be coaching the Tigers again after a year away.

ukfanatic,
It would be unfair of me to post who the one candidate is in case he/she does not get the job. If the school wants to make it known that's up to them.
I understand that you have more personal knowledge of the situation than I do. I am not bashing the man whatsoever. Coaches should always look to improve themselves and their situations. Listen, it is none of my business why he left Waverly. That is between him, Stacie and their boys. Just understand that from the outside when you say there are reason he left Waverly and a week later those reason were not important enough to keep him from trying to coach again next season at a higher profile job. I will just say that I wouldn't even be on this topic if when he resigned he said "I don't think I have the energy to continue here right now, but a change of scenery may change that". The fact that he pulled his name from contention means nothing. Just applying spoke volumes.

BadVlad27
JV Team

Post by BadVlad27 »

ttt

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

Not much chatter on this job?

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Crab's brother wrote:
smurray wrote:Crab, before anyone (not just you) draws conclusions based on how things appear from the outside, they should talk to the man himself. Some folks have posted on other threads bashing Travis and saying some of the same things you have just said. No, Waverly will not have a Jake Kretzer next year but the cupboard is not totally bare either - that is not the reason for stepping away. The man is human, a young coach, and who wouldn't be tempted by the Chilly job. It came open a week after he resigned from Waverly and he applied with not much time to think about it. After more time to really think and reflect on it he went back to his original decision to step away. Maybe it will be one year. Maybe two years or more - time will tell, but if he resigned from Waverly because the cupbaord is bare and knew he was going to coach somewhere else he would not have withdrawn from Chillicothe (dream job). He was to be interviewed the evening he withdrew and from what I was told was in the top 3 if not the top 2 candidates (He and Lisath). I have been accused of trying to be his savior on here and to wake up and smell the roses so to speak - I just happen to know some of the reasoning for stepping away and think it is unfair for folks to come on these kind of sites (hiding behind screen names) to bash the man for it, thinking they know more than they do. Who knows, maybe he'll be coaching the Tigers again after a year away.

ukfanatic,
I understand that you have more personal knowledge of the situation than I do. I am not bashing the man whatsoever. Coaches should always look to improve themselves and their situations. Listen, it is none of my business why he left Waverly. That is between him, Stacie and their boys. Just understand that from the outside when you say there are reason he left Waverly and a week later those reason were not important enough to keep him from trying to coach again next season at a higher profile job. I will just say that I wouldn't even be on this topic if when he resigned he said "I don't think I have the energy to continue here right now, but a change of scenery may change that". The fact that he pulled his name from contention means nothing. Just applying spoke volumes.

I keep hearing Chillicothe mentioned as a "Higher Profile Job". Last I checked, both Chillicothe and Waverly were Div II schools. Chillicothe has had a nice run of players and success here lately but does it really rate as a high profile job? This is high school basketball.....not mid major's versus major DI college conferences. Does it take more hours, and pressure to run the Chillicothe basketball program that it it does to run say, Waverly, Vinton Co or Greenfield?? You are still dealing with student athletes, and board members and worst of all the freaking parents!! This sounds like an arrogant statement to me....JMO.

popeyes
Waterboy

Post by popeyes »

GREAT post out of bounds. Could not agree with you more.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Out of Bounds wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:

ukfanatic,

I keep hearing Chillicothe mentioned as a "Higher Profile Job". Last I checked, both Chillicothe and Waverly were Div II schools. Chillicothe has had a nice run of players and success here lately but does it really rate as a high profile job? This is high school basketball.....not mid major's versus major DI college conferences. Does it take more hours, and pressure to run the Chillicothe basketball program that it it does to run say, Waverly, Vinton Co or Greenfield?? You are still dealing with student athletes, and board members and worst of all the freaking parents!! This sounds like an arrogant statement to me....JMO.
If arrogant is what you think it is then fine, but if you don't think the Chillicothe is a higher profile job, then I don't think you know how things work. Chillicothe is a perennial regional contender and has a recent state title. Waverly just won their first district title in what, 32 years? And it took a player the level of Kretzer to make that happen. The talent level that runs through Chilly is a lot different than that going through Waverly.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

I'm not disputing the talent that has run through Chillicothe and I thoroughly enjoy watching them play. The athleticism has been exciting to watch. I just have a problem with the use of you calling it a "Higher Profile" school. As I said before, it takes just as much work, thought, time and effort to run any varsity program in our region as the next. I'm not saying all coaches put the same amount of time and effort. I'm saying if I was said coach at Logan Elm and ran a great program, (as Stiverson does). And I transferred to Chillicothe, Vinton Co., Gallipolis (all Div II) schools. I will have the same time and effort as I did at Logan Elm. I will have the same pressures to win from the community, board and administration. I'm not sure how many other programs you have been around, but I have friends at DII, DIII and DIV that are head coaches and I will assure you they would take offense to the High Profile comment. And they work just as hard and had the same kind of pressures that Kellough had. Just not lucky enough to have some DI prospects walk through the gym doors as often.

GOINDIANS
Freshman Team

Post by GOINDIANS »

Out of Bounds. There is a reason that Lisath, Robertson, Combs, etc. all wanted that job. You can play the semantics game all you want. Chillictohe is a bigger, better job. It has more reward when you win, and more problems when you don't. It pays more as well. You are just trying to be antagonstic.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Out of Bounds wrote:I'm not disputing the talent that has run through Chillicothe and I thoroughly enjoy watching them play. The athleticism has been exciting to watch. I just have a problem with the use of you calling it a "Higher Profile" school. As I said before, it takes just as much work, thought, time and effort to run any varsity program in our region as the next. I'm not saying all coaches put the same amount of time and effort. I'm saying if I was said coach at Logan Elm and ran a great program, (as Stiverson does). And I transferred to Chillicothe, Vinton Co., Gallipolis (all Div II) schools. I will have the same time and effort as I did at Logan Elm. I will have the same pressures to win from the community, board and administration. I'm not sure how many other programs you have been around, but I have friends at DII, DIII and DIV that are head coaches and I will assure you they would take offense to the High Profile comment. And they work just as hard and had the same kind of pressures that Kellough had. Just not lucky enough to have some DI prospects walk through the gym doors as often.

However you want to spin it is fine. I never said one word about the amount of time, effort, and energy put into any job. I'm sure that the head coach at an SOC I school cares as much about his game as the coaches at bigger schools. But don't give me that the pressures are the same everywhere. That is a load of crap. If Chillicothe wasn't a "higher profile job" why did coaches at similar schools apply? When Waverly plays Akron Buchtel, Eastmoor Academy, Dublin Coffman, Dayton C-J, Gahanna Lincoln, Springfield, or Pickerington Central then get back with me and we will rehash the higher profile topic.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

High profile, low profile, at this point does it matter? Chilli has their new coach. Who is going to be the next Waverly coach? Who is in the running? Are any of the fine coaches that applied for the Chilli job applying for the Waverly job?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Waverly job, last I heard, was not going to be posted outside and there was one internal applicant. Waverly will miss the boat if they do not look outside. "Unofficial" outside interest has been shown (phone calls, emails, ect.) but they are not taking applications (at this time), I truly hope that changes.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

smurray wrote:The Waverly job, last I heard, was not going to be posted outside and there was one internal applicant. Waverly will miss the boat if they do not look outside. "Unofficial" outside interest has been shown (phone calls, emails, ect.) but they are not taking applications (at this time), I truly hope that changes.
wow! ok, good luck Tigers.

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

They need to look for some help for the Waverly girls basketball program too.At the very least they need to get a Varsity assistant.Bonnifield is a solid coach, but needs some quality help.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

There is a lot of talent coming up for the waverly girls. I would love to see us add to the coaching staff. There are a few qualified people who I think would be very interested.

jackyl
Waterboy

Post by jackyl »

back to the boys job

does the internal applicant have the qualifications for the job? I would think if he did then they would have already hired him for it.

lebasketball
Riding the Bench

Post by lebasketball »

I am sure many on here know who the internal applicant is, i am wondering the same thing. Are there some basketball credentials i do not know about that would qualify this person to coach junior high basketball let alone on the varsity level. I am hearing he all but has the job. Someone please enlighten me on the resume.

Return to “Boys Basketball”