District Final 3/10: Lucasville Valley vs. Portsmouth

Bear42
Freshman Team

Re: District Final 3/10: Lucasville Valley vs. Portsmouth

Post by Bear42 »

Swanker Pine wrote:Was not impressed by Portsmouth tonight. Dion didn't make any noise at all while BY was passing out dishes left and right.
So I guess Valley was less impressive? For a team to have 0 turnovers in the first half and cause 10...that's impressive. They also held Valleys best player to only 2 or 3 field goals...thats impressive. You are correct..he made some great passes and created for his teammates...he is a special athlete. I thought Dion played well considering he was smothered in the paint and sat a lot of minutes on the bench. I was impressed with both teams. Valley just needed someone to handle the ball and hit shots. The two big runs by PHS hurt.

Great season by the Indians and best of luck to the Seniors. They should hold their heads high after both football and basketball. Good luck to Coach Collins and the Trojans vs the Panthers next week.

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

chicken_coop wrote:Stats:

Turnovers Valley 17 Portsmouth 3

Ballgame!! Very impressive to have only 3 turnovers in a game of this magnitude! I'm sure great defense contributed to Valley's 17 turnovers, but man, how many were unforced?

lrn4lf
Riding the Bench

Post by lrn4lf »

Not from either school just at the convo to watch a good game! That I did see! Not impressed with the officiating!! No calls in the post on PHS were unbelievable! I thought they determined the game down the stretch! JMHO!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

heard the game on the net, Valley had Portsmouth in trouble early, holding a ten point lead and controlling tempo, getting Dion in early foul trouble etc. The Trojans coming back strong to pull to within one at halftime, only to fall behind again after three, In the 4th you could just get the feel of the game off the radio, The Trojans turned up the defense and started to become more aggresive on the offensive end,
I was very impressed that the Trojans could go to Carter and the rest of the 3 threw 7 guys when McKinley was held somewaht in check. Also very impressed with the free throw shooting at the end, sure the Trojans missed a couple back ends but hitting the first one and not blanking on the possesion was the diference at the end.
Valley played thier hearts out and did an outstanding job on the boards and in the post, but the Trojans pulled it out in the end.
The only thing that could have made it better would have been that I could have been there

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Congrats to the Portsmouth Trojans....moving on to the Regionals again! Good Luck!

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

Portsmouth plays physical and fast. Just when Valley looked like they were going to pull away, Portsmouth came back hard. I was very impressed with Valley's team...hadn't seen them yet this year. I already knew what Portsmouth had.

The only thing that didn't impress me with Portsmouth was their outside shooting. But, that is one game. The most important thing that IMPRESSED me with Portsmouth is that they do not stop. Down by 10? Give'm a few minutes. Their speed, confidence, and determination is what makes them so dangerous come tournament time. They have the will to win, and I believe that is what beat Valley Saturday night.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Valley is a very good team we already knew that we knew thier size would hurt us and it did they done a very good job on Dion and Im sure that was the game plan comeing in as he has had big game after big game I keep seeing where "some" are saying on the other thread they arent Impressed with Portsmouth or how Dion was a non factor..........let your team play valley and see what happens,LOL very few teams are going to play valley and look good they have good athletes and had a big size advantage and played very physical...great season by the Indians this was one of them games that you hated to see anyone lose esp. with both teams being scioto county teams.

Congrats to the Trojans you got down 10 early and was down by 7 several times you kept your head up and kept battling as a team you showed a lot of heart in not giving up this had to be one of the best come backs of the year!

pantherdad
I agree hope we get to see another dandy with my Trojans and your Panthers!

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

Game lived up to the hype... unbiased opinion I feel Valley has the better team, but they let Portsmouth hang around and when you let a team like Portsmouth hang they will burn you. The Trojans run last season and tourney experience really came into play last night. I asked people around me last night who does Portsmouth miss more this season Bendouph (sp) Underwood? Be interested to hear opinions. Trojans dont seem to play with the speed and confidence I am used to seeing them play. Congrats to the Trojans beat the Peake. Hats off to the Dunn kid from Valley that kid is going to a force in the post over the next 2 years.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Congrats to Valley on a fantastic season. No reason to hang your heads! Good luck to the Trojans the rest of the way..

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Portsmouth 54
Lucasville Valley 50 a final

... in the marque matchup of the evening in D3 - the SIZE of Valley (Yates 6-3/Keller 6-3/Riehl 6-5/West 6-5/Dwyer 6-6) vs the SPEED/QUICKS/PRESSURE DEFENSE of Portsmouth (McKinley/Evans/Carter/Whitley/Collins/Brachett/Edwards) ... as Cheap Seat fans WE saw it ALL - size matters/hand speed - foot speed/defensive pressure matters ... on this night Defensive Pressure trumped Size - BARELY ... Valley could not have had a better start to the game as Jordan West went off early - drive for a deuce/a trifecta/and a dunk for 6 quick points and a Valley lead ... the LVHS support cast owned the paint with 2 put back baskets - the BIGS were controlling the boards on the court and on the scoreboard ... Coach Collins' team sports ALL seniors but one, Coach Collins' team has been to the SHOW in C'bus, Coach Collins' team knew that 5 minutes of the first quarter does not a game make ... PHS showed a glimpse of the defensive pressure we had expected - forcing 4 Valley turnovers - PHS stayed within reach ... Valley 16 Portsmouth 11 after one ... from the Cheap Seats you could see the tempo go up in the 2nd period as PHS continued to harass on the perimeter, but more importantly the Trojans caused the Valley boyz to "speed up their own tempo" - got out of their comfort zone as the Trojans gained the advantage on the scoreboard Portsmouth 26 Valley 25 at the half ... Quarter #3 proved to be Valley's best of the night - as the Indians came out of the locker room - under control offensively - they were not in any hurry to get off a perimeter shot, worked the ball into their strength taking advantage of their size down low Dwyer (4)/Dunn (2)/Howard (2) ... with the patience on offense came dominance defensively - Portsmouth was one and done at the offensive end hitting only 1 fg in the period for a total of 6 points ... Portsmouth 32 Valley 39 after 3 periods ... the Cheap Seat buzz was that Lucasville Valley had control of the paint, were using their size inside at both ends of the floor, the ONLY way PHS was going to get the "W" was to turn up the tempo ... it had to come out of their pressure defense ... by happen chance - the Trojans forced the tempo up that notch - Valley lost control on the court as the increased tempo put the Trojans in THEIR comfort zone ... PHS took advantage of their quickness to get into the lane, get to the rim, get to the FT line ... the Trojans went to the line for 16 FTs in the 4th quarter converting on 12 ... the FTs were bookended by Carter/Collins treys ... Valley had no answers for Portsmouth ... going 0/6 from behind the arc in the 4th, only 3 fgs total in the final period ... Valleys last lead was 46-50 with 1:10 to play as Portsmouth closed it out on a 8-0 run into the regionals ... Portsmouth 54 Lucasville Valley 50 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Lucasville Valley

Scoring : Blake Yates 10, Hayden Dunn 10, Robbie Dwyer 9, Patrick Riehl 7, Jordan West 7 (all in the first 2 minutes of quarter #1), Will Howard 5, Luke Keller 2

3 Pointers : 2/13 ... West 1,Howard 1

FTs : 10/15

TOs: 16

At the Rim : 14 ONLY

Transition Buckets : 1

... Pfloyd's Official/UNofficial Napkin Stats - Portsmouth ...

Scoring : Dayllen Carter 17, Wayne Evans 14, Dion McKinley 11, Len Collins 7, Zaide Whitley 5

3 Pointers: 4/21 ... Dayllen Carter 2, Len Collins 2

FTs : 18/25

TOs : 11

At the Rim: 9

Transition Buckets : 2

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Congrats to the Trojans. But I must say, Valley had the game won but just didn't finish it off. Best of luck to the Indian departing seniors.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

First things first, congrats to the Portsmouth Trojans. Best of luck to you in the Regional Semi's against Chesapeake. I would also like to say a big congrats to Carter, as I believe he was the difference in the game for the Trojans with his 17 points and clutch shooting.

As a Valley fan, I couldn't be more proud of how hard the Indians played, not only last night but all season as well. I'm confident the Indians silenced all intelligient doubters. Obviously, the loss hurts, but the future is bright. I would like to thank the seniors for all they accomplished in their time wearing the purple and gold. You guys were great leaders to the underclassmen, role models for the young kids in the school district and brought a lot of joy to those of us "has-been" alumni. Thank you!!!! To coach Rolfe, coach Crabtree and coach Phillips...I love you guys! Let's go do it all over again next year! You guys have certainly made your mark on Valley basketball.

Thanks again Indians!! You were so much fun to cheer for this year!

independent2012
Freshman Team

Post by independent2012 »

Valley has a good team,played hard but the key to this game imo was coach Eugene Collins.The way he handles his players is awesome,he reminds me of Tom Izzo,you can tell he has had 20 years of colledge coaching experience.

He never panics and it rubs off on his team,even when Portsmouth didn't bring their A game they managed to beat a good Valley team

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

VERY PROUD OF OUR TROJANS.......WE WON LAST NIGHT WITH A BIG HEART!!!.......It looked bleak with 5 minutes to go, but grit, desire, and determination got us to the finish line against a VERY GOOD VALLEY INDIANS TEAM!!!

The win marked the 36th district championship in Portsmouth HS history.......and the first back to back district titles since 1990-91.

PROUD TO BE A TROJAN AND PROUD OF OUR TROJANS!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Congratulations to the SEOAL Champion/SEO District DIII Champion - Portsmouth Trojans ... trojandave always good to run into the Portsmouth contingent in the Cheap Seats - thanks for stopping by, biggdawgg thanks for bringing the oldtrojan up to meet pfloyd as well - always great when I can put a face with the user names on SEOPreps ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”