SE District Sectional Seedings

bman
SEO

Re: SE District Sectional Seedings

Post by bman »

One difference between football playoffs and basketball tournament, is we have games on a weeknight with school the next day, while football is Friday or Saturday. I agree travel is a handicap of the plan, but I feel opening up all sectional high schools instead of having three host for D3 and two host for D2 would help cut down on travel.

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

I respect your opinion bman, and you make a good point. But it's gotta be one or the other. I don't see how people can make the "school night" argument in the sectional and then not care less at the district level. The following is a list of teams that have made the trip to Athens for district play so far on a school night. As you can see, some of these schools have long trips to Athens.

Chillicothe
Sheridan
Athens
Circleville
Waverly
Fairfield Union
Fairland
Warren
Ironton
Wellston
Nelsonville
Valley
Portsmouth
Piketon--
Southern
Manchester
South Webster
Symmes Valley
Ports ND
South Gallia
Eastern Pike
Sciotoville

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

Crab's brother wrote:Couldn't agree more. Piketon hung around for awhile but I believe there were at least 6 (maybe 7 in you include Wheelersburg) that could have been still playing if we used a super sectional. We (Valley) didn't play real well tonight and still beat the Athens #1 by 21. With all due respect, the Buckeyes would have been the 7 seed at Jackson.

If the 12 teams winning sectionals were, say:

Chesapeke
Portsmouth
Ironton
Valley
Eastern
Peebles
Piketon
Huntington
Minford
Oak Hill
Wheelersburg
and say Zane trace.....the matchups would have been much better.
Your going to change the seedings because for 1 year one sectional is tougher than another?
Last year
Fairland and Meigs were in the District Finals they were from the Athens sectional.
Portsmouth and Chesapeake were as well they were from Jackson.
You can only seed teams as they appear in their Sectional unless you want teams driving 100 miles to play a sectional game.
It all works out in the Convo!! You think some teams should still be playing?
This is a whiner thread!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Rvbballdude wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:Couldn't agree more. Piketon hung around for awhile but I believe there were at least 6 (maybe 7 in you include Wheelersburg) that could have been still playing if we used a super sectional. We (Valley) didn't play real well tonight and still beat the Athens #1 by 21. With all due respect, the Buckeyes would have been the 7 seed at Jackson.

If the 12 teams winning sectionals were, say:

Chesapeke
Portsmouth
Ironton
Valley
Eastern
Peebles
Piketon
Huntington
Minford
Oak Hill
Wheelersburg
and say Zane trace.....the matchups would have been much better.
Your going to change the seedings because for 1 year one sectional is tougher than another?
Last year
Fairland and Meigs were in the District Finals they were from the Athens sectional.
Portsmouth and Chesapeake were as well they were from Jackson.
You can only seed teams as they appear in their Sectional unless you want teams driving 100 miles to play a sectional game.
It all works out in the Convo!! You think some teams should still be playing?
This is a whiner thread!
One year?

http://southeasternohiopreps.com/forum/ ... =4&t=87301

Fairland was in the finals last year because of how weak the sectional was. Once they play a team with talent (Portsmouth) they got blasted. Meigs did not make the district finals last year, so you need to check your facts.

And I never said those teams should still be playing. I said that some of those teams were more deserving to be in the District tournament then the bad teams the Athens sectional provided.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Crab's Bro,

Ignore RVbballdude. I've yet to read much intellegience in his posts. I've read several posts of his ragging on people often. For instance, take a look at his brilliant post on the Valley-NY thread.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

vchoops wrote:Jesco,

I should have explained myself better. Actually the top seeds would have the option of passing and not going on the board right away. This would prevent someone from jumping on them. They could pass and after each team goes on the board they would have the option of going on or passing again. Also, the vote is done the same way as it is now, except it would be every team in the district rather than just every team at a particular site.

Hope this clarifies some things. Enjoying the discussion.
Thanks for clearing that up. It definitely makes more sense to me now.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Jesco White wrote:Crab's Bro,

Ignore RVbballdude. I've yet to read much intellegience in his posts. I've read several posts of his ragging on people often. For instance, take a look at his brilliant post on the Valley-NY thread.
Just seen it....I guess he doesn't get to see many other teams following the dominant teams from Cheshire.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

vchoops, I know about the Convo trips, but usually that is one or less on a Monday-Thursday in most years unless someone gets to regionals, where it is two times per year. You add in one or two sectional games and you double that. So I can see the concern. But I support the SE going to an open draw or super sectional, and using all of the sectional high schools for all divisions instead of splitting them up by divisions (D2 teams going to Logan or SE, D3 teams going to Jackson, Athens, Waverly, etc.) is a way to address the concern of travel.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

Is this the first year Valley has made it to the Convo for a while? Is that what you guys are ticked about with the sectionals? At least you won't have to cry at baseball since you got moved down to D4 and won't have to face the burg.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Fred G. Sanford wrote:Is this the first year Valley has made it to the Convo for a while? Is that what you guys are ticked about with the sectionals? At least you won't have to cry at baseball since you got moved down to D4 and won't have to face the burg.
What are you talking about?

It's Valley's second District appearance in three years. People aren't "ticked off" over the way things worked out for their own schools. People are interested in a system that would make it more balanced for everyone. What's with the ignorant post?

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

another way of doing it which would not solve your problem but alleviate some of the travel issues. only play the district finals at o.u. play out the sectionals at the scheduled sectional site. another possibility would be to play the first and second rounds at the home of the better seeded team.

Return to “Boys Basketball”