Waverly vs. Fairfield union @ convo

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Re: Waverly vs. Fairfield union @ convo

Post by bucki4life »

A very good game and win for the Tigers. It wasn't a good game because they played well but because they won! It could have been the ugliest win of the year but they were able to handle the pressure and step up and win. Tigers shooting was horrible and when they were down in the fourth qtr it really looked like the season could be coming to an end, but a couple of big steals late (Kelly and Kretzer) that resulted in a layup and slam dunk really set the table for a couple of bangers (Zach and Taylor) to just not be denied on the boards and the rest was history.

I have watched Fairfield this year and I really thought they played about as well as I could imagine. They had a great game plan and were very close to winning this game. I thought Travis Robertson made a great coaching move in the final minutes of the game when he put Kelly on Barr and Ward on Clark. It really seemed to frustrate them and they seemed to be a little confused with the pressure, however Clark did manage to hit a shot with Ward draped all over him. Kretzer forced Clarke to pass the ball in the final seconds and Barr was covered up by Kelly so they were forced to try to tie the game with somone other than those two and you had to like Waverly chances in those situations.

A couple other things that I liked about the game for Waverly was the way they managed the game- even though things didn't always seem to be going the way they wanted it to go they just seemed to believe they were going to win it in the end.

This marks the second consecutive game where Waverly has played well enough to advance but still haven't got on a good run, but as the old saying goes- "its better to play bad and win then play good and lose"

Finally, what a great job by the Tiger fans! The place was packed!!!! The T-shirt effort by Ashley Stulley and friends was outstanding- and the rally towells was a huge success!!! Tiger student body was Boss!! Only one question -- isn't Brad Kretzer a little old for the student rowdy section...lol... It sure was great to watch these guys experience a big win on the Convo floor as all the hard work has truly paid off!!!

Jump23
Freshman Team

Post by Jump23 »

How did fu lose 10 plus games?? Fu is the best 10 lost team I have watched for a long time. #22 and #24 are really nice players ! Ugly win for the tigers , but a win is a win!!!

lebasketball
Riding the Bench

Post by lebasketball »

witness230 wrote:How did fu lose 10 plus games?? Fu is the best 10 lost team I have watched for a long time. #22 and #24 are really nice players ! Ugly win for the tigers , but a win is a win!!!

I can't remember Waverly's record last year but it wasn't much better and they were a pretty good team. Sometimes you lose close games when the ball doesn't bounce your way and you can't take a night off in the MSL. Pretty good league top to bottom.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The blocking foul you all speak of was the correct call (not a charge) but the bucket and one was an NBA call. Bad calls are going to be made and they were made both ways last night. Fairfield had their chances to put the Tigers away but couldn't do it and Da Tigers escaped with the W.

Next Friday night - I can't imagine a bigger crowd than what we had last night but being a Friday night and District Championship, Tiger Nation will be in FULL force! Wear your t-shirts and bring your white rally towels - that was impressive.

playtowin
Freshman Team

Post by playtowin »

ttt
Last edited by playtowin on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

playtowin were u there?
The call was a block on the floor, let me rephrase that the call should have been a block on the floor. The FU kid did give Jake a little bump to impede his progress toward the bucket. Now the and 1? Ok there was some continuation there. I admit. Bad call it wasn't the only one. Ton of walks not called. I counted to 6 on 3 second calls on the one 5 sec call I was 8. Most block/charges went the way of blocks.
FU had a couple nice looking basketball players.
And as far as officiating goes. As a college student I had a class rules and officiating of basketball now granted all we did was mostly jr. high games, I did get called in on emergency duty for a girls JV game. So I have officiated games

strokn7
Riding the Bench

Post by strokn7 »

FU only won 1 league game in the second half of the season and it was against 0-20 Hamilton Township. I keep shaking my head wondering if the D2 Southeast district is that bad or are my BC bulldogs that good? Regardless, FU and Circleville should be applauded for their tournament play.

playtowin
Freshman Team

Post by playtowin »

ttt
Last edited by playtowin on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

witness230 wrote:How did fu lose 10 plus games?? Fu is the best 10 lost team I have watched for a long time. #22 and #24 are really nice players ! Ugly win for the tigers , but a win is a win!!!
Because they play in a great league! They beat circleville, who's in the finals, twice. They struggled late in games all year and lost games they probably shouldn't have. But they played better competition and this had pretty much seen it all. Sounds like Brusco payed out a great gameplan as well. Just think if the two kids that transferred to Carroll weren't babies and stayed. If you had Barr, mcglone, and Clarke out there... They'd be the best team is se Ohio easily.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Fairfield was definatly the best 11 win team I have seen. They have a very nice team, unselfish, nobody cares who scores. I thought the defense did a nice job on the big boy from Waverly. They were physical with him and made him tired. He was limited to shooting NBA 3's for a while. I thought the and 1 was a bogus call, he kinda got a "superstar" call on that one. Great mental toughness by both teams, never giving up at any point in the game. It was a very entertaining game to watch by a basketball fan

defenserules
Riding the Bench

Post by defenserules »

falcon01 wrote:
Because they play in a great league! They beat circleville, who's in the finals, twice. They struggled late in games all year and lost games they probably shouldn't have. But they played better competition and this had pretty much seen it all. Sounds like Brusco payed out a great gameplan as well. Just think if the two kids that transferred to Carroll weren't babies and stayed. If you had Barr, mcglone, and Clarke out there... They'd be the best team is se Ohio easily.

And Van Atta (other transfer to BC) would be a starter on that team as well...FU was pretty young - I think the only big loss is Clarke.

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

plyintown,
I didn't mean to come off as bashing you, I honestly I wondered if you were there. I mean it obvious its easier to form an opinion on a call if you see it live. I did not understand that your jab at smurray was said in jest. I read it as being a "cheap shot" I apologize if I took anything you said if you took anything I said as being offensive, it was not intended to be that way.

pio24
Waterboy

Post by pio24 »

I usually don't post a reply but after watching the tape of the game and having a couple of days to reflect I do have a couple of comments. There were missed calls going both ways just like in any other game at any level. Some Falcons fans were upset because the Falcons only shot three free throws the whole game but that has been an issue the whole year. The style in which we play (perimeter shots) don't get us to the free throw line that often so that complaint doesn't fly with me. The possession where the block and one was called has been a topic of discussion a few thoughts... First of all I remember during the game that I thought it might of been an over and back call before the block ever occured. I told my friend "that's over and back" because the guard tossed the ball back to the "big dog" and I don't believe he was passed half court. On tape it's hard to tell because the bobcat logo and maybe the angle of the camera may have affected the view but it was close if anyone has access to a tape take a look at it. Now the famous call. I believe the wrong official made the call. The official with the best angle (on the baseline) had the best view of the play. It was right in his lap. He swallowed his whistle basically. The official that made the call had a horrible angle (trailing the play) but at least he had the guts to make a call. After watching it over and over in slow moition even there is no doubt the fu kid was there in plenty of time. It's a tough call and I had the benefit of watching it in slow motion but there's no way the basket should of counted. At the of the day the Falcons still had a chance to put Waverly away and they had some costly turnovers down the stretch so we can go on and on about the refs but fu didn't excute down the stretch. Both teams played their heart's out and if was a shame someone had to lose that game. Good luck to Waverly I hope they make it deeper into the tournament.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Fairfield played one of its better games of the season. I disagree with the type of foul call at 45-40. It was a 50-50 call on either a block or charge, but that NBA style continuation was ridiculous. The MSL is in the top two of toughest leagues in the area, so Fairfield was definitely prepared.

Return to “Boys Basketball”