Waverly vs. Fairfield union @ convo

Falcon01
S

Re: Waverly vs. Fairfield union @ convo

Post by Falcon01 »

You're welcome guys. Was nice sitting outside in Hawaii listening to my falcons. Bummed they lost but it was a great game.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Thanks falcon01. FU represented the MSL well. Will be interesting to hear the stats.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

I really felt Waverly would win, with their size advantage, but I'm impressed with the way FU battled. Congrats to the Tigers on the win!!! I'll be pulling for another Waverly win in the District Finals!!! I believe they can win a District Championship, but the supporting cast is going to need to have a big night. Good luck Tigers!!!

BadVlad27
JV Team

Post by BadVlad27 »

When do they play again? Time & date

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Waverly will face Fairland next Friday in the 2nd game. Will be a good matchup.

BadVlad27
JV Team

Post by BadVlad27 »

thanks hitchbone, do you know the time?

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

8:15 is the official time. First game starts at 6:15.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

WAVERLY VS FAIRFIELD UNION PHOTO ALBUM FROM THURDAYS GAME: http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?i ... 968&type=3

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Kretzer with 30 points, becoming Waverly's all time leading scorer (regardless of sex) and the only Player in Waverly history to surpass 1,600 career points. Kelly with a key steal and bucket and how aboout Corcoran with back-to-back rebounds on FT's missed by Jake and Taylor.

Officiating is always questionable, Tigers thought they got some raw deals too.

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

Very Sloppy game by both teams, not sure how many missed layups and TOs Waverly had but it just about cost them. Rough night for the officials bad calls both ways so I guess fair :roll: . #21 was roughing Krezter up all game and was on the line at times as being plain dirty. The Tigers were active on the boards which I feel was the difference. #22 is a very good ball player feel the Tigers should have run Ward at him earlier but a win is a win and live to play another day.

Hats off to Kretzer had 9 at the half and ended up with 30.

Waverly will need more production from Kelley and White to take the pressure off Jake.

Good Luck Tigers in the Finals !!

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Fairfield did a good job hanging in there and nearly taking the win. Kretzer's play is an example why a good player wants to get to halftime and the 4th quarter with one or no fouls(Kretzer had none going to the 4th). It meant that he could use his skills with unfettered aggressiveness as picking up a couple of fouls was no problem. Waverly started the 4th with an 8-4 run to take 40-37 lead, but Fairfield came back for 8 straight to lead 45-40, but then a big block/charge call went against them and for Kretzer with 3 point play sparking 9 straight by Waverly. Offensive rebounds by Waverly on two missed FTs were devastating to Fairfield, but yet they still had a very make-able trey in the air in the last 5 sec that would have tied it.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

mhs95_06 wrote:Fairfield did a good job hanging in there and nearly taking the win. Kretzer's play is an example why a good player wants to get to halftime and the 4th quarter with one or no fouls(Kretzer had none going to the 4th). It meant that he could use his skills with unfettered aggressiveness as picking up a couple of fouls was no problem. Waverly started the 4th with an 8-4 run to take 40-37 lead, but Fairfield came back for 8 straight to lead 45-40, but then a big block/charge call went against them and for Kretzer with 3 point play sparking 9 straight by Waverly. Offensive rebounds by Waverly on two missed FTs were devastating to Fairfield, but yet they still had a very make-able trey in the air in the last 5 sec that would have tied it.
The announcers went nuts on that and 1 call. Saying no way should it have 1) been a block and 2) the bucket no way should have counted. They also said waverlys coach looked over at fu's coach and like puffed his mouth like he was saying, we got a call there.

What'd you think?

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

onthepitch wrote:Very Sloppy game by both teams, not sure how many missed layups and TOs Waverly had but it just about cost them. Rough night for the officials bad calls both ways so I guess fair :roll: . #21 was roughing Krezter up all game and was on the line at times as being plain dirty. The Tigers were active on the boards which I feel was the difference. #22 is a very good ball player feel the Tigers should have run Ward at him earlier but a win is a win and live to play another day.

Hats off to Kretzer had 9 at the half and ended up with 30.

Waverly will need more production from Kelley and White to take the pressure off Jake.

Good Luck Tigers in the Finals !!
If kretzer can't handle a kid 6" shorter then him being physical, he may want to rethink that Akron decision and play d2 or something. Comeon. When you are 6'6" and a legit player going on a full d1 ride, every team is going to go hard on you.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

falcon01 wrote:
mhs95_06 wrote:Fairfield did a good job hanging in there and nearly taking the win. Kretzer's play is an example why a good player wants to get to halftime and the 4th quarter with one or no fouls(Kretzer had none going to the 4th). It meant that he could use his skills with unfettered aggressiveness as picking up a couple of fouls was no problem. Waverly started the 4th with an 8-4 run to take 40-37 lead, but Fairfield came back for 8 straight to lead 45-40, but then a big block/charge call went against them and for Kretzer with 3 point play sparking 9 straight by Waverly. Offensive rebounds by Waverly on two missed FTs were devastating to Fairfield, but yet they still had a very make-able trey in the air in the last 5 sec that would have tied it.
The announcers went nuts on that and 1 call. Saying no way should it have 1) been a block and 2) the bucket no way should have counted. They also said waverlys coach looked over at fu's coach and like puffed his mouth like he was saying, we got a call there.

What'd you think?
Unfortunately I didn't see it well - was watching off the ball. I know the crowd seemed to intimate it was not the right call.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

mhs95_06 wrote:
falcon01 wrote:

What'd you think?
Unfortunately I didn't see it well - was watching off the ball. I know the crowd seemed to intimate it was not the right call.

Fair enough.

Btw, don't want waverly fans to take my post the wrong way. Not taking any shots and the kid. He seems like a great player and a humble kid as well. Not many kids from se Ohio get d1 schollies.

smack
Riding the Bench

Post by smack »

felt there were bad calls on both sides.but felt like fu got by with more.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

falcon01 wrote:

What'd you think?
this was the worst call of the night by far. it was a no brainer charge and taking 2 steps then shooting after the contact/foul call should not have been a bucket. the other two refs just put their heads down and didnt even look up. this call changed the game. as a casual fan and referee I dont have a dog in this hunt, just went to watch four great teams tonight. I thought FU played about as well as they were capable of. Lots of heart and lots of hustle.

i didnt see any "dirty" play by FU, just alot of bodying up Kretzer which he may not be used to.

smack
Riding the Bench

Post by smack »

i agree it was a bad call. but still think the best team won and that fu got by with more

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

falcon01 wrote:
If kretzer can't handle a kid 6" shorter then him being physical, he may want to rethink that Akron decision and play d2 or something. Comeon. When you are 6'6" and a legit player going on a full d1 ride, every team is going to go hard on you.

Never said HE couldn't handle it.... He had 30 and a good number of rebounds and if he was more of a selfish player could have had 40. I am not looking at the game from Jakes perspective he may like the physical play. I am looking at the play from a fan and parent (not Jakes) of a player who just had a concussion less than a week ago. I have been wrong before I am also going by people that sat around me. Jake has had to deal with every style of play all season so at this point he will see no surprise looks unless a team puts 4-5 on him and leaves everyone else.

Good Win Tigers now use the week to rest and get a Game plan for the Dragons!!!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

I think the weight Kretzer put on in the offseason has been a big factor in his ability to withstand the way teams have tried to lean on him defensively. I think it's made a tremendous difference in his overall game and a huge reason why he's been EXTREMELY consistent for the Tigers this year. With his frame, the training staff at Akron will definitely be able to add to that size and with his work ethic (I've been told he's a very hard worker), he'll end up with a D-1 physique to go with his height and skill set. He's definitely the type of player that can carry a team on a deep tourney run. I think tonight's performance definitely showed that, and I expect more of the same from him in the next round against Fairland.

Return to “Boys Basketball”