Warren vs Fairland District Semifinal 3/1

Jesco White
S

Re: Warren vs Fairland District Semifinal 3/1

Post by Jesco White »

Wow!!! Congrats to the Fairland Dragons!!!! As Ironman92 posted above, the Dragons prove again that they were under-seeded!!!! I hope I'm able to make it to the Fairland-Waverly match-up for the District Championship. It should be a great one!

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

Now back to basketball. JUST LOOKIN. All five seniors were a part of Warren football. They can take a hit. As far as a Rugby team...You might wanna watch a little closer. Im not gonna slam the refs its not necessary. HOWEVER... I saw a few cheap shots in this game as well in others. It shouldnt make the game. You have to play the game no matter whats thrown at ya. Sometime its easier than others.

Refs are like players in some ways. Some are stars. Some are good at what they do. Some wanna be good at what they do. None the less. You adjust to your environment without compromising your game. Thats why its good to develope your bench.

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

Great season WARRIORS!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great post 32,16,6 - knowing you as I do I know that it came straight from the heart my friend ... everything you said about Coach Maddox, Duck and the rest of the Warrior entourage is absolute true - great folks there in Warrior Land from those kids on the team, to the coaches, right on to the parents - a great community built around your hoops program ...

... the boys who are graduating will be just fine - the lessons learned through basketball, the life lessons learned from the interactions with Coach Maddox ... I expect to hear nothing but great things from this senior class ... 32,16,6 I would like nothing better than to have your son walk into my hospital room LOL - we'd laugh, and I'd ask him if he's been using his other hand ;-) ... T.Ward will do just fine ...

Great season Blue ... Fairland is the real deal ... wish I could have been in the Cheap Seats for this one ...

dragons13
Waterboy

Post by dragons13 »

Lights out defense by Fairland tonight. Refs were bad on both ends and the Warren boys fouled a lot at end trying to get back into game and that's why there were a lot of fouled out players.

FHS played awesome defense, and Blaine and "lil" Evan were lights out on both ends! Anyone there knows the game could have been a lot worse since Fairland missed at least 15 foul shots. Great game and looking forward to next week!

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

Congrats Dragons! Keep that OVC banner flying!

I have to say, while I thought Warren had the slight edge in this one, I'll give Fairland the edge against Waverly. But still that is going to be one heck of a district final.

One thing about Fairland free throws. Their inability to hit free throws down the stretch in their last game against Chesapeake contributed mightily to that loss. This is a bit of an achilles heel for the Dragons. Will definitely need to hit those freebies from here on out to advance.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

WARREN VS FAIRLAND PHOTO ALBUM FROM THURSDAY GAME AT THE CONVO ... http://www.facebook.com/pages/High-scho ... 968&type=3

FHSstudentsection
Freshman Team

Post by FHSstudentsection »

very close game and was fun to watch. it seemed like first half refs were against fairland and flipped more second half. there was around 5 and 1's committed by warren. that really hurt. great game by 21 from warren. he can shoot. great game by fuller for the dragons and way to step up cody midkiff once again in crunch time!

now its prep time for waverly!! lets go dragons! :122245

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

I thought the refs were fair both ways. When the boys were very aggressive, the refs called fouls. Fairland definitely needs to work on the freebies this week. They will make or break you in the one and done season. Fairland has a great team, 2 players that can handle the ball and all players can score. Looking forward to see them against Waverly next weekend.

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

pfloyd : Im pretty sure you were there somewhere. lol Ok I couldnt resist.

I have to hand it to Austin Hethorn for steppin up tonite. They all did their jobs tonite. Fairland is a tough team. I had the opportunity to watch some of those boys a few years back. I broke several pencils keeping score at some AAU games. I even pulled the old score sheets out this week cause thats what Moms do. So many memories... BTW I saw a note on one of the sheets Riverside owes us a playground game. No officials... MR SALYERS... You can help me with that. It was good seein you guys.
I didnt keep napkin stats. I cant watch my boys and hold a pencil, too dangerous. French was the first to foul out. He had a nice swat from my angle. I sure its different down on the floor. Windland was next. His job was to guard Salyers. He drew a coupleof fouls from him as well. Warren is agressive. Maddox was not the same player I saw against Hillsboro nor was Fuller. Both had some good games tonite. I did see some shirt grabbin nothin too serious but no calls. Warren came back on three different times. I guess you could say we needed a few more ticks on the clock. Rebounds... Im not even close on. Alot of loose balls from both sides. Differences are gonna be shot %. Not if but When Warren gets their new Gym Im sure it will be set up like the convo. That way we will know just how hard it is to focus on the rim when the wall is two feet behind the glass vs 30 ' .

Again good Fairland team. Good Warren team. Just ran outta time.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Ironman92 wrote:I am curious of the refs and how Warren had 4 players foul out.

Windland, and French had 4 fouls each in 3rd quarter.
At start of 4th, Coach put them both back in.
French fouled out early in 4th, Windland went out with 5:00 left.
Inside presence gone for the Warriors.
Not second guessing the Coach, but.....
Henthorn fouled out with just a few seconds left trying to stop clock.
BTW, Austin Henthorn was Warrens only bright spot tonight, imo.

Fairland probably shot less than 50% from the free throw line.

ps Thought they only lost these three to fouls?

dragons13
Waterboy

Post by dragons13 »

I believe your right. I think the last kid may have been pulled in order to get him an ovation due to being a senior. #33 played a good game for Warren if that is who Henthorn is. Don't know anything about him but he looks the part of a good football player as well

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

refs were ok, warriors just committed too many turnovers. i thought warren would win this one with relative ease. i was wrong again. lol.

fhs23
Waterboy

Post by fhs23 »

Fuller and Salyers used to play against a couple of those guys in AAU. Glad to see them get to play against each other in a game like tonights

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

Congrats to Fairland; they played the best defense against the Warriors as anybody I have seen this year. Good luck the rest of the way.

The Warren seniors; it has been a great 4 years watching you play. Just was not your night. Life is like that, keep your heads up.

Now the game IMO; Why did 4 Warren players foul out?? It's called ATTACKING the RIM!!!! Fairland was getting to the rim and FINISHING. The defense was not there and the dragons were quick. So we fouled!! Here is something that will kill any team; 33 of 57 shots were within 15 ft. or in the paint and the Warriors make 12. Zero in the 3rd and 2 in the 4th. Bad shooting night or good defense???? You make the call!!! Big factor in this game.

Great game Henthorn, you left it on the Convo. floor. Winland played well till foul trouble got him.

I wanted this game and the next as bad as anyone. The seniors and coach Maddox I am still with you all the way. I know how bad this hurts. BEEN THERE!!! Nothing like high school basketball!!!!!

Warren stats:
17 of 57 from the field 30%
11 of 17 foul shots 65%
5 of 20 3s 25%
30 rebounds 10 off.
17 turnovers

Fairland stats:
20 of 45 from the field 44%
17 of 34 foul shots 50%
2 of 9 3s 22%
28 rebounds 9 off.
15 turnovers

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Going into the game I thought I'd be rooting for Warren, but when I saw how Fairland played I couldn't keep from rooting for them. The team with the best ball handling skills won the game. Both teams turned it over a lot, but Fairland didn't fold under the crunch time pressure from Warren as many teams have done. The refs let a lot go, especially early. It seemed like you may as well trying to do something questionable because there was a lot gotten away with. Henthorn went in early and played most of the game. I'll bet coach told him when he sent him in that this looks like your type of game, and it was, and he played most of the rest of it. However there were three players who I got got victimized by the refs a bit in getting fouls they wouldn't normally and that others were getting away with similar stuff, and two of them were on Fairland(Fuller and Maddox). Evan French was the one from Warren who didn't score and didn't get to play much. Hastie was the 4th to foul out for Warren as he picked up four of them in the 4th when they were trying to get the ball back. The four treys by Warren in the 3rd qtr(first by Ward and then 3 by Hastie) looked like they may spark Warren to get control of the game as they started the qtr on a 9-1 run to go from two down to six up, but then Fairland scored 10 unanswered to go up 6, and held the lead from there. I had Fairland with 9/14 on FT in the last 1:33. On Fairland's Fts, I had Midkiff 4/6, all in the last 1:33, Maddox 5/7, Salyers 3/5, Fuller 5/12, and the rest of the team 0/4. They need to better than that to advance further.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

Excoach78 wrote:Congrats to Fairland; they played the best defense against the Warriors as anybody I have seen this year. Good luck the rest of the way.

The Warren seniors; it has been a great 4 years watching you play. Just was not your night. Life is like that, keep your heads up.

Now the game IMO; Why did 4 Warren players foul out?? It's called ATTACKING the RIM!!!! Fairland was getting to the rim and FINISHING. The defense was not there and the dragons were quick. So we fouled!! Here is something that will kill any team; 33 of 57 shots were within 15 ft. or in the paint and the Warriors make 12. Zero in the 3rd and 2 in the 4th. Bad shooting night or good defense???? You make the call!!! Big factor in this game.

Great game Henthorn, you left it on the Convo. floor. Winland played well till foul trouble got him.

I wanted this game and the next as bad as anyone. The seniors and coach Maddox I am still with you all the way. I know how bad this hurts. BEEN THERE!!! Nothing like high school basketball!!!!!

Warren stats:
17 of 57 from the field 30%
11 of 17 foul shots 65%
5 of 20 3s 25%
30 rebounds 10 off.
17 turnovers

Fairland stats:
20 of 45 from the field 44%
17 of 34 foul shots 50%
2 of 9 3s 22%
28 rebounds 9 off.
15 turnovers
great post. excoach78, any idea how many points off of turnovers fairland had? it seemed like they capitalized on a majority of them.

Chesapeake
JV Team

Post by Chesapeake »

Nice.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Unfortunately, Warren peaked a couple of weeks ago and haven't been playing their best ball for the past 3 games or so. Fairland is very quick and deserved to win the game. Good luck to the Dragons.

I want to wish the Warrior seniors all the best. It has been fun watching all of you play ball especially Austin Henthorn. Wow, he always brings excitement to the game. As far as the comment about him on the football field: he was everywhere and in the middle of every tackle.

ssbball
Freshman Team

Post by ssbball »

IMO coaching was the difference. Fairland was very well prepared for this game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”