Portsmouth Trojans 2011-2012

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2011-2012

Post by trojandave »

Tobias: Tryouts are completed, but I haven't been to practice to see the varsity roster......I do know that this year, with Coach Collins being at the school with his teaching position, that practices will mostly being held right after school, which I think is a big plus for the kids and him.

I also like the influence that new freshman coach Ty Davis has on the program already.......he pulls kids aside and points out fundamental things to them.......I see Coach Davis being a really good fit at the freshman level, because there are some talented kids on that team, including Sky Oliver, Alex Dickerson, Tay Tay Martin, and Hunter Gibson.

The Trojans' varsity will be wearing new white uniforms for home games this year, and the design is similar to their very sharp blue road uniforms........I don't believe the Trojans will be wearing red uniforms on the road this year.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Season tickets are on sale at the PHS front desk, for $60 which includes 12 boys' home games and free admission to all girls home games........the reserved section has been moved this year to the other side of the gym, in the middle section which last year was designated the visitors section.

I bought my season today and got the same corresponding seat in the new reserved section.

The scrimmage at Waverly this Saturday will start at 10 AM, instead of the 9 AM previously listed.........PHS, Waverly, and Eastern Brown are the participating teams.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want to OBSTRUCT the view of the man box like last year!!...... :122245

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

trojandave wrote:Season tickets are on sale at the PHS front desk, for $60 which includes 12 boys' home games and free admission to all girls home games........the reserved section has been moved this year to the other side of the gym, in the middle section which last year was designated the visitors section.

I bought my season today and got the same corresponding seat in the new reserved section.

The scrimmage at Waverly this Saturday will start at 10 AM, instead of the 9 AM previously listed.........PHS, Waverly, and Eastern Brown are the participating teams.
Does this indicate a possible relocation of the "MAN BOX" to the lower level? Lord help the officiating crews if it does, LOL.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The varsity roster has all seniors with the exception of 6-2 junior Jaylen Carter, who will play exclusively on the varsity.........Kyle Ratliff and J.W.Horsley are seniors who did not play last year.........Kyle is 6-5 and 240 lbs., while J.W. is about 6-3 and 190 lbs.......both will be a big help in the post.........other seniors helping out inside are 6-5 Trevor Violette, also an outstanding tennis player, and 6-2 Robert Grubbs. Mason Jordan, a 6-3 senior, is one of the more versatile players on the team because he can play inside or on the wing.

These 4 kids should really give the Trojans good depth on the frontline to go along with 6-6 senior Dion McKinley, who just coming off football, looked outstanding in practice yesterday.

Carter will help out on the perimeter, as he has a very nice jumper........another outside threat for PHS to go with Wayne Evans, Zaide Whitely, Mason Jordan, Duke Edwards, L.J. Adams, Lenny Collins, and Seth Bratchett. The Trojans will be a tough team to zone with so many outside shooters.

Right now the starting 5 looks to be McKinley, Evans, Whitley, Bratchett, and Collins, but in reality Coach Collins is going to play a lot of kids this year.........one of the strengths of the 2011-2012 Trojans is their depth........and because of that PHS may employ a little more full court pressure than last year.

Looks as if Zaide Whitley will be the PG, but Evans and Bratchett can fill that role if need be.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Was told they won, 5 of the 6 quarters they played losing one quarter to Waverly and winning all 3 against Easter Brown. They were also without the services of Zaide Whitley, Mason Jordan, Seth Bratchette, Duke Edwards, and Kyle Ratcliff. Considering how shorthanded we were it sounds like a pretty good showing.
Tobias wrote:
trojandave wrote:November 12 (Sat.).......at Waverly........with Waverly and Eastern Brown........9 AM
November 16 (Wed.).......Fairland........starting at 6 PM
November 23 (Wed.).......at Kettering Fairmont........with Fairmont and 3 other schools.......probably an early (9 AM) start
November 26 (Sat.).......Minford and Notre Dame........starting time 9 AM
How did the scrimmage go yesterday?
Was told they won, 5 of the 6 quarters they played losing one quarter to Waverly and winning all 3 against Easter Brown. They were also without the services of Zaide Whitley, Mason Jordan, Seth Bratchette, Duke Edwards, and Kyle Ratcliff. Considering how shorthanded we were it sounds like a pretty good showing.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans should be at full strength for their scrimmage on Wednesday vs. Fairland.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Tobias: Yes, I will be there, and I will try hard not to obstruct your view....... :-D ..........Fairland has Evan Salyers back........he was 6-4 last year and had a good game vs. the Trojans at the Convo in the district final.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

must have been some D-- played in this game---80+ minutes played

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Looks like I may make it home for the weekend of the 9th and 10th of Dec both road games, probably will only be able to catch the Ironton game as mom has a hip replaced on the 10th. Weird for that on a Sat tho, but thats what date Trinidad gave her..we shall see.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Tobias: Portsmouth won by 4 in the OT, so the difference was 17 points........the last quarter including OT was PHS 31, Fairland 27.

I will say this about Fairland.........they look better to me than they did last year.......Evan Salyers is tough to defend in the paint, and he has a nice short jumper as well........there's another kid who is a senior, don't know his name, but he's about 6-5, and played well last night, scoring a lot of points.........if the Dragons can get good guard play this season, they should be able to win anywhere from 12-14 games this season.

The Trojans looked like a team that was, like Bounce said, trying to find the right mix......Coach Collins substituted a lot, with many different combinations........he full court pressed most of the time, and overall the kids showed a lot of energy.........it was obvious last night that the Trojans won't hit full stride for a while as we try to find what rotations work the best.

The JV Trojans split their 2 quarters with the Dragons.

ovcfan12
Riding the Bench

Post by ovcfan12 »

Fairland does look a lot better this year but they were missing their starting point guard

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Looks like Ill be in town for the season opener, cant wait for the trip to SW

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

awww thats even better, I had it right on my stats line, but looked at last years slate,room for one more in the man row?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Hopefully I'll get the chance to talk to you, Let'sGoPSU, at the SW game........have a safe trip from Bedford.

There's always room for one more on the man row..........and you don't have to worry about your view being obstructed.........the man row board of trustees took care of that matter with some very firm action last year.......... :-D

Trojan Man13
Riding the Bench

Post by Trojan Man13 »

Let's see if the man row can be louder than the student section. :lol:

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Ill probably get there late Dave, maybe I can hit you up after the game........deal Tobias, not interested in spending the night in the Scioto County Hokey! :)

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

I think I'm gonna try to make it!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I have to work, so I won't be able to make it........but I plan on calling trojan7 for updates.

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

Definitely!! I'll try to post some updates on here. But if you want text updates PM me your number.

Return to “Boys Basketball”