PDT screws up yet again

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

PDT screws up yet again

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Did anyone else read the PDT article about the Trojans and Pirates regional semi final game? Well if you did, I’m sure you noticed that the first line of it is just flat out wrong. It reads, “ A year ago, Andrew Bendolph ended the Portsmouth Trojans' season as a member of the Wheelersburg Pirates.”

That is not true, Portsmouth beat the Pirates the only time they meet last season, during the regular season. The Trojans season was ended by Valley. I can’t believe the PDT can’t check simple facts like that. All they needed to do is look back in their records. It’s just ridiculous.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: PDT screws up yet again

Post by biggdowgg »

someone said the other day they quoted these two teams as "country" rivals :mrgreen:

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

You're right I saw that one too, let it go as a simple typo, but this is just ridiculous

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

This is just sad, come on PORTSMOUTH Daily Times

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:Did anyone else read the PDT article about the Trojans and Pirates regional semi final game? Well if you did, I’m sure you noticed that the first line of it is just flat out wrong. It reads, “ A year ago, Andrew Bendolph ended the Portsmouth Trojans' season as a member of the Wheelersburg Pirates.”

That is not true, Portsmouth beat the Pirates the only time they meet last season, during the regular season. The Trojans season was ended by Valley. I can’t believe the PDT can’t check simple facts like that. All they needed to do is look back in their records. It’s just ridiculous.
To quote a brethren:

Would you like some cheese with that? :lol:

Give the Times a break. After all it IS The PORTSMOUTH Daily Times.

:aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

KVDW wrote:
Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:Did anyone else read the PDT article about the Trojans and Pirates regional semi final game? Well if you did, I’m sure you noticed that the first line of it is just flat out wrong. It reads, “ A year ago, Andrew Bendolph ended the Portsmouth Trojans' season as a member of the Wheelersburg Pirates.”

To quote a brethren:

PRINTED IN GALLIPOLIS..... :mrgreen:

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

KVDW wrote:

To quote a brethren:

haha, it is sad. I normally do not beat up on the PDT but "Come On, Man"

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

KVDW wrote:

To quote a brethren:

It's kind of different me being disappointed in that PDT repeatedly screwing up, and you talking about bad calls. Bad calls are a subjective observation, where it is undeniable fact that the PDT is wrong.
Thanks, for the inquiry any other comments or questions you just come on back. ;-)

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

The PDT is probably the worst it has ever been in it's histroy as far as screw ups here lately. One day last week on the front page along the left hand side where they list the Obits, Weather, and Sports that are located elsewhere in the paper they had all X's under the Sports section and no picture. How does that slip by a proofreader???

They constantly give wrong scores, especially in the Box Scores, list the wrong names for pictures, and I have seen numerous times where articles just end in mid sentence. Hopefully Del can at least get the Sports section back up to par in his tenure as Sports Editor.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

And I thought the Columbus Disgrace (i mean Dispatch) was getting bad. They do at least complete their paragraphs and you can follow the headings with pictures. It sounds like some refining needs to be done down at the PDT Headquarters. :lol: :lol:

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

The Portsmouth Daily Times of Gallipolis

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:The Portsmouth Daily Times of Gallipolis
They're printed at what they called the "Ohio Valley Press" years ago weren't they ? I thought it was located around Gallipolis there somewhere. :?:

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

How can they screw up such an easy job? I mean there are at least 1,000 people on here who can do better.

kahn
Freshman Team

Post by kahn »

I got nothin

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I guess its easy to do, I seen in the programs at the Convo this year a couple of mistakes,that NEVER used to happen up there.

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:The Portsmouth Daily Times of Gallipolis
Pol Pot wrote:How can they screw up such an easy job? I mean there are at least 1,000 people on here who can do better.
Trojan FB Alum - Would you be willing to help out Saturday and give the PDT a story to use? Honestly

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

It's not so much the story as it is the proof reading and fact checking. They do a decent job getting the stories on, though we have to wait a couple of days or more to get them since the deadline is 9:00 pm and it is printed in Gallipolis. But how could you lead a story like the one in todays paper with a statement that is in no way correct. He is a reporter. He needs to check his facts before he prints them. The Burg never even played Portsmouth in the tourney last year. Bendoplh did have a great game to knock off unbeaten Oak Hill in the sectional last year, but Valley knocked the Trojans out of the tourney.

As for Pol Pot saying there are 1000 people on here that could do better. They are paid to do a job and are expected to do it correctly. If I made as many mistakes on my job as the proof reader or editor at the PDT does on a daily basis, and yes there are mistakes almost every day, I would be replaced very quickly. Does anyone even check to make sure there are no mistakes before the paper goes to print? If so, they suck at it.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Honestly I believe I could do a better, job. I already have far too many pans in my fire doing my own job though I don’t need to do anyone else’s.

I believe I would be able to get the job done, but truthfully my biggest flaw would be being able to write without letting my Portsmouth bias show. I however never claim to be a journalist. As Burg_Grad_77 said try to make that many mistakes in your job and see how long you keep it. That’s why it continues to remain so bad, if there is no punishment for doing a poor job and no incentive to do a good job, this is what we are left with.

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:Honestly I believe I could do a better, job. I already have far too many pans in my fire doing my own job though I don’t need to do anyone else’s.

I believe I would be able to get the job done, but truthfully my biggest flaw would be being able to write without letting my Portsmouth bias show. I however never claim to be a journalist. As Burg_Grad_77 said try to make that many mistakes in your job and see how long you keep it. That’s why it continues to remain so bad, if there is no punishment for doing a poor job and no incentive to do a good job, this is what we are left with.
I believe you could give it the old "college try" and publish something respectable. Think about it, honestly.

You are right though, the “tone at the top” needs to change and maybe the quality of work would also change. Honestly.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

It's just like officiating, everyone wants to bit€h but very few have the sack to give it a try and see how easy the job really is. The Times is always looking for stringers, while you are at the game, you may as well make an extra $20.

Return to “Boys Basketball”