South Webster vs Manchester

GlenwoodGURU
Waterboy

Re: South Webster vs Manchester

Post by GlenwoodGURU »

Combs was the best Div IV player at the convo on Saturday!

I have to disagree with Hook em Horns on the two best players deciding this game. Combs and Blevins & Loop and Scott are going to get theirs. It will come down to the role players. Who is going to be that 3rd guy that is going to step up and help their team the most. Manchester's role players handle the ball and shoot it better than SW's, but the Jeeps role players guard and offensive rebound better.

Should be a great game. SW better handle the Hounds runs and play through tough stretches better than they did on Saturday. Webster was lucky to escape after their explosive first quarter (21 in the first, 39 in the other three) on Saturday...I would assume most people know why they were lucky by now.

SW 62 Manchester 61

Two very evenly matched teams!!

Ohioguy23
Waterboy

Post by Ohioguy23 »

Sw did a good job containing cox in their win, but Blevins is a completely different player...he would much rather step out and shoot a jumper than play with his back to the basket like cox....and even if sw figures out how to keep Blevins from scoring, keep in mind, Manchester just beat a good WO team by 15, with Blevins only scoring 9..... As for needing someone other than your 2 "best" players to step up, Dalton west avgs a little over 10ppg for Manchester to go with combs 20ppg and blevins 18.....if manchester keeps the turnovers down they win easily ( I say easily as in leading the whole gm with a small lead) I don't in anyway think this will be a blowout.....looking forward to a very competitive game.....good luck to both teams

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Lot of talk at the Convo Saturday about this game being moved or changed (time-wise) because of Ohio University playing in the CBI or CIT tourney and hosting.

Good news is that Ohio University made the CIT but is playing AT Marshall on Tuesday at 7pm.

Therefore, if you heard this game was being changed......... we finally caught a break with the Convo schedule and get to play at the REGULAR scheduled time 7pm Tuesday at the Convo!

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

IMO Manchester 63 South Webster 51

fan of GlenwoodGURU
Waterboy

Post by fan of GlenwoodGURU »

I have to ask a question before I make a pick. When Fairfield and Cox played the hounds and Blevins what was the outcome of that game?? Score?? Pts for both etc???

shlfan
Waterboy

Post by shlfan »

Manchester won 68-67 @ home.

Fairfeild won 52-50 @ home.

Don`t know the stats.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

second game against whiteoak blevins had 2 pts and manchester lost by a lot.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Being the SW fan I am---I will share some thoughts that make me feel better about the game tomorrow night. I am not saying I think South Webster will win---but I sure am hoping!

Thus far in the tournament the SOC2 is 3-0 vs the SHL

South Webster finished 2nd in the SOC2 and Manchester finished 2nd in the SHL small school division (is there a name for that?)

Several SHL people have voiced that they believed Fairfield was as good or a little better than Manchester.

Fairfield and Manchester played 2 very even games at the end of the Regular Season.

South Webster played a tougher schedule this year than Manchester and in fact is 2-1 vs Burg and Portsmouth who are playing Wednesday night in the Division 3 Regional Semifinal. None of Manchester's opponents are left and their two toughest opponents (peebles and ironton) were defeated by Wheelersburg.

We don't have to face Oak Hill's zone anymore! Fairfield tried to zone us, but their 2-3 zone isn't Norm's...... thank goodness!

Ashton Miller, Joshua Wright and David Sutton are playing very well right now. All 3 know their roles and have been great teammates this year. Joshua is the best defender, Ashton can take pressure off of Connor with ball-handling and David simply keeps improving.

Go Jeeps!

GlenwoodGURU
Waterboy

Post by GlenwoodGURU »

SW win vs Ptown should have an *! BB (Before Bendolph), they may beat Burg and I wouldnt be surprised if they won the regional. Everyone knew Eugene Collins would bring glory back to the Trojans but not this soon.

No prediction svbt1112? Its march madness, no one can push just because they are a fan.

Anybody know how many seniors SW (I know Scott and Miller are seniors) has compared to Manchester??? Experience could have a big influence in the fourth quarter tomorrow.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I like South Webster in this one.

It was mentioned above in a post about Peebles and Ironton being Manchesters toughest opponents, I'd like to add that Manchester beat Ironton by 4 points BUT Ironton was playing without 2 Starters and Carter set out the entire 2nd half of that game.

South Webster 62
Manchester 54

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

No predictions on this one! The South Webster people always pick South Webster and the Manchester people always pick Manchester. Heck, we played Notre Dame and Eastern Pike and their people picked them to win-----it always happens!

We played Portsmouth in the first game of the season----everyone knows that Bendolph didn't play---it has been discussed on here ad nauseum---but I do appreciate you pointing it out! Portsmouth also beat Wheelersburg BB so they are definitely favored Wednesday night and then definitely an underdog vs Peake.

I do think this will be a great game and either team could win. Hopefully all those close games we played will help us Tuesday Night! I think on Saturday morning you could tell it wasn't our first close game! Manchester has plenty of experience and was on this stage last year so they won't be scared of anything either.

Go Jeeps!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Manchester has plenty to be afraid of.

GlenwoodGURU
Waterboy

Post by GlenwoodGURU »

I know im going to get killed for this and this isnt the right thread just want to comment on svbt1112 statement about the peake. I love their team! Love their style of play and coach! The big kid is probably a d1 guy in the right system. But I think that Ptown could give them trouble because of their lack of size and athleticism at the 1. I feel like Ptown can run and score a little better. But the Peake has a next level 3 and 5 but Ptown is just a different animal all together because of their next level speed (not skill). If this matchup happens I am going to be dissapointed bc I wont be able to see it.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

There is no doubt that Portsmouth can win that game!

Our boys are finishing up practice about now and I know Manchester is probably doing the same. One of these teams will represent the Southeast District at the Barn in the Regional Championship! (probably against the Harvest Prepsters.......) Let's hope for an injury free game and then hopefully we will ALL root on the winner Friday night!

Go Jeeps!

GlenwoodGURU
Waterboy

Post by GlenwoodGURU »

For the sake of discussion boards...How great are these teams going to be next year! Likely that these two teams/programs continue their dynastic runs.

I know swankerpine prolly has some inside info on the underclassmen at SW!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Nice to only have to wait a few days between games instead of a week! I still think this is an even matchup across the board and can go either way. Reminds me of 2005 when Webster and Reedsville Eastern were the best two teams in southeastern Ohio and appeared equal at each position. However, they never got to meet as Africentric knocked both of them out by around 15pts.

As far as next year, Webster will have back Loop and Sutton as starters. I'd guess they'd be joined by Jensen Dyer, Levi Cook and Seth Goddard in the starting lineup. Would be pretty formidable across the frontline (6'4", 6'4", 6'5"), but inexperienced at guard. Goddard and Cook would have to replace the scoring and ball-handling of Connor Scott, and Loop is probably a 18-20ppg scorer next year. I'd say that is a 12-8 to 16-4 type team that'll only get better as the year goes on and be Regional-caliber by the end of the year.*

fan of GlenwoodGURU
Waterboy

Post by fan of GlenwoodGURU »

Thank you shlfan, It is still a toss up in my mind. Both teams have a chance to win tomorrow night.

Swanker that is actually very nice of you for once but the ohio river is already cresting and they probably don't have as much to worry about now

Go peake!

HoundsAre4Real
JV Team

Post by HoundsAre4Real »

Gonna have to take my Hounds by 4. Good luck to both teams tomorrow night

mhsfrontrowfan
Waterboy

Post by mhsfrontrowfan »

Gonna have to say hounds by 6! Combs is gonna show why he was was the AP POY and why he should of won the coaches POY too!!

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

Good luck Jeeps!

Return to “Boys Basketball”