Best Team in your schools Modern History 1970-2011

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Best Team in your schools Modern History 1970-2011

Post by danicalifornia »

Bishop Flaget Panthers
82-83, 23-1 Lost in the District Finals in Triple OT to I believe, Southern, but that could be wrong.

Team featured SVC Co-Players of the Year, Pat Austin and Tony Taylor and also the next season's SVC POY Nick Corcoran. The team was Coached by a young Ron Lovely(later coach of Piketon and Unioto)

Sadly, Flaget closed it's doors in 1986.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

On a whole, the Peebles program was nearly unstoppable in the 1980s. From 1980-84 Peebles' regular season record was 97-3, and this includes a 60-game regular season winning streak. In the 80s Peebles also won seven straight SHL championships, a mark I don't believe anyone has come close to since. Finally, PHS went 25 years without a losing season, from 1970-1994.

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

The Racine Southern Tornadoes under Carl Wolfe from 1974-1986 went 232-63. Won 10 straight SVAC Championships, 9 Sectional Championships, 3 District Championships, 2 Regional Championships, State Final Four and a State Runner-Up. Coach Wolfe never had a losing season at Southern.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

Wouldn't the 'Modern Era' of high school basketball officially begin in the 1987-88 season, the year that Ohio instituted the three-point line?

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

"Bishop Flaget Panthers
82-83, 23-1 Lost in the District Finals in Triple OT to I believe, Southern, but that could be wrong.

Team featured SVC Co-Players of the Year, Pat Austin and Tony Taylor and also the next season's SVC POY Nick Corcoran. The team was Coached by a young Ron Lovely(later coach of Piketon and Unioto)

Sadly, Flaget closed it's doors in 1986."

Flaget lost to Trimble in triple overtime, I have that game on film thanks to The Nelsonville TV Cable Company

That team that beat Flaget was arguably Trimble's best. I may be wrong on some of the names but: Nelson Morris, Bryan Hooper, Mark Echstenkamper, Scott Gachtel and Greg Koons were the starting five, coached by Tom Evans

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

peake wrote:No offense datchili, but I have seen several players far better then Humpty in the state tourny and in SEO.

LeBron obviously, Jarod Williams Lakewood St. Edwards, OJ Mayo NCH, Bill Walker NCH, Dante Jackson McClain, Chris Early HHS, Patrick Patterson HHS, I could go on.
I didn't say he was the best player I have ever seen. I said that inch for inch he was 2nd. I too saw Mayo, Jackson, Walker, Williams, as well as Former #1 pick Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Daequan Cook, Mullens, Koufos, Diebler, Sullinger(both of them), Yancy Gates,Raymar Morgan, and the list goes on and on. I have seen many NBA players and countless D1 Bball players in high school in person(not counting the ones Ive seen on TV). Inch for inch Humpty is second only to Drew Lavendar IMO. If he were 6'4'' he would be a lottery pick. That is just my opinion but that's what it is.

To bring it a little closer to home, Dante Jackson(whom I know personally and saw play countless times) , was one of the most prolific players in the history of Ohio H.S. basketball. That is not my opinion but a fact. He is top 15 in points, rebounds, 3's, and 3-point percentage all-time. He is also on the list in several other categories. You can look it up on OHSAA's website to get specifics if you want. Anyways, he is probably the best H.S. player most of us in SEO have seen in any recent memory and I am telling you that if Humpty Hitchens was the same height he would be substantially better. That is what I mean when I say inch for inch.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

OHbuckeye1 wrote:2005 Ironton Fighting Tigers (26-1) State Runner Up.
It would be tough to disagree with that.

As an aside, there are some amazing stats from that game, including
- Ironton outrebounded NCH 37-32, including 17 offensive rebounds, against all that height
- Ironton attempted 15 free throws in the first half but only 3 in the second half (things that make you go hmmmmmm)
- Ironton shot a better FG% than FT%; if Ironton had shot the same FT% as NCH (about 70%), we could have had one of the greatest upsets in the history of the OHSAA basketball tournament.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

datchillicav wrote:Here is a question. Who is the best team you have ever seen in SEO? I know not all of us are old enough to have seen some of these great teams but just what is the best you have seen. Personally, I have heard great things about the 81 Chillicothe Cavs and the 88 and 78 Portsmouth Trojans but since I didn't see them, I will say that the best teams I have seen are the 08 Chillicothe Cavaliers, and whatever year Ironton lost to NCH at State(05, 06 or 07?).

As for the question posed earlier, 81 Chilli vs. 08 Chilli. As I said, I din't see 81 Chilli but I do have a good grasp on history I think. The 81 team may well have been better but I don't see that 08 team losing by 30 to anyone. They beat a team whose shortest starter was 6'5'', ranked nationally and happenned to have two players who were their conferences freshman player of the year at D1 colleges and one who will most likely be a lottery pick in the NBA draft. Certainly a first rounder. They also beat the D1 state champion (Newark) that year by 11 in a game that I felt they "played down" and beat teams that were at the time #1 in the state (Poland Seminary), #2 in the state (Dayton Dunbar, who I believe was also nationally ranked at the time), and national top 25 Toledo Libbe, as well as state ranked Zanesville twice. Blew a game against Brookhaven that they should have won, beat NCH in Cincinnatti by 14, and put up over 100 on several occasions while playing tough tough defense. BTW, Humpty Hitchens is inch for inch the second best high school basketball player I have ever seen(behind Xavier, and Brookhaven grad Drew Lavender).
Remember folks, you are talking about a DII championship team, not a DI championship. 80-81 beats Canton McKinley, in their hometown, they win a DI championship. Ray would get crushed by Veris, Humptey would be nuetralized by team defense, yeah Tom Cuppet teams played team defense, I know in this day in age team defense is a swear word in Chillicothe defensive schemes but the CAVS used to be known for it and the role players for the 80-81 team were better basketball players than the 08 teams. The beat them by thirty part was a joke. The score could possibly be in the thirties. One of those years, I remember a game at Lancaster was 4-2 at the half due to Lancaster stalling the entire half. Chilly scored on its two posessions and Lancaster I believe was 1 for 2. I was courtside for all of the 80-81 season and was three rows up at the Shott. In my opinion, not a contest.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

buckcraze wrote:
datchillicav wrote:Here is a question. Who is the best team you have ever seen in SEO? I know not all of us are old enough to have seen some of these great teams but just what is the best you have seen. Personally, I have heard great things about the 81 Chillicothe Cavs and the 88 and 78 Portsmouth Trojans but since I didn't see them, I will say that the best teams I have seen are the 08 Chillicothe Cavaliers, and whatever year Ironton lost to NCH at State(05, 06 or 07?).

As for the question posed earlier, 81 Chilli vs. 08 Chilli. As I said, I din't see 81 Chilli but I do have a good grasp on history I think. The 81 team may well have been better but I don't see that 08 team losing by 30 to anyone. They beat a team whose shortest starter was 6'5'', ranked nationally and happenned to have two players who were their conferences freshman player of the year at D1 colleges and one who will most likely be a lottery pick in the NBA draft. Certainly a first rounder. They also beat the D1 state champion (Newark) that year by 11 in a game that I felt they "played down" and beat teams that were at the time #1 in the state (Poland Seminary), #2 in the state (Dayton Dunbar, who I believe was also nationally ranked at the time), and national top 25 Toledo Libbe, as well as state ranked Zanesville twice. Blew a game against Brookhaven that they should have won, beat NCH in Cincinnatti by 14, and put up over 100 on several occasions while playing tough tough defense. BTW, Humpty Hitchens is inch for inch the second best high school basketball player I have ever seen(behind Xavier, and Brookhaven grad Drew Lavender).
Remember folks, you are talking about a DII championship team, not a DI championship. 80-81 beats Canton McKinley, in their hometown, they win a DI championship. Ray would get crushed by Veris, Humptey would be nuetralized by team defense, yeah Tom Cuppet teams played team defense, I know in this day in age team defense is a swear word in Chillicothe defensive schemes but the CAVS used to be known for it and the role players for the 80-81 team were better basketball players than the 08 teams. The beat them by thirty part was a joke. The score could possibly be in the thirties. One of those years, I remember a game at Lancaster was 4-2 at the half due to Lancaster stalling the entire half. Chilly scored on its two posessions and Lancaster I believe was 1 for 2. I was courtside for all of the 80-81 season and was three rows up at the Shott. In my opinion, not a contest.
That D2 state champion did just happen to beat the D1 state champion by 11 in the regular season. Actually in a game that I, at the time, thought that they played sub par. Also, the D2 runner up beat the D1 runner-up by 25 and a D1 final four team by 30 something. I know most years D1 is WAY better than D2 but in this specific year I would argue that the opposite was true. After all, both D1 finalists lost head to head to both D2 finalists.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Humpty really the second best player in high school you have ever seen?

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

peake wrote:Humpty really the second best player in high school you have ever seen?
For his size, yes. Keep in mind that he is listed at 5'8'' and that is being generous. How many kids that are " 5'8'' " get D1 rides? I can't think of many.

Think Nate Robinson but high school version. I still think if Nate Robinson were normal siz he would be an all-star.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

My bad, I read into that the wrong way. You meant for his size. Ok yea, I see what you mean.

Nate Robinson was also a college football player btw.

Dru Joyce was a nice "little" guard at Akron SVSM (5'4) played at Akron. His freshmen year hit like 5 3's in the state championship.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

peake wrote:My bad, I read into that the wrong way. You meant for his size. Ok yea, I see what you mean.

Nate Robinson was also a college football player btw.

Dru Joyce was a nice "little" guard at Akron SVSM (5'4) played at Akron. His freshmen year hit like 5 3's in the state championship.
Very good call. Sadly, I never was able to see ASVSM in person. Out of all the great players I've seen in HS I probably missed the best HS player of all time(and Dru Joyce. Maybe the best little guy?)

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

peake wrote:No offense datchili, but I have seen several players far better then Humpty in the state tourny and in SEO.

LeBron obviously, Jarod Williams Lakewood St. Edwards, OJ Mayo NCH, Bill Walker NCH, Dante Jackson McClain, Chris Early HHS, Patrick Patterson HHS, I could go on.
peake, Borrow my bi-focals. datchilli said "inch for inch" the second best player he has seen. No argument on your guys but if Lavender and Humpty were 6'3 or more, watch out. Drew Lavender and Humpty made excellent teams great. You can also go on but I would rather hear you talk about the best of the Chesapeake teams and maybe one of the best teams around ever with Mayo, Patterson and company. Unfortunately I only saw them on TV.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

hitchbone???? What?

I posted a day earlier I misread the post. Take a chill pill.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

peake wrote:hitchbone???? What?

I posted a day earlier I misread the post. Take a chill pill.
peak, just working your nerves a bit. I'm still seeing those post were you continued to play down Chillicothe. I'm good. I don't need chill pill cause I live in Chilly were we don't hate, we just Chill.

Still would like to hear about some of the great teams down by the riverside. I respect your knowledge of hoops in that area.

Good luck with Peakes run in the tourney.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

datchillicav, anyone who knows me knows that my info is biased but i will back you up here...

Hump had the most ability of any HS player i've seen thus far to will his team to victorys. He was/is 5'9" in shoes, but the kid has flat out willed his team to wins at every leveled he has played. This is not a testament to his talent, which he has plenty of, or his teams, which he has played on some very special teams (1 MAC championship team, a D2 state championship team, a 21-10 CAA team this year which should make the NCAA or NIT tourneys), but it's a testament to his heart. He has a fire that you cannot coach in kids to want victory so bad and is so fearless that they want to grab the bull by the horns and impose their will. I saw it when he dropped 34 against then #1 dayton dunbar, i saw it when he dropped 26 in the second half against #7 Zanesville. i saw it when Chilli was down 16 to Toledo Libbey in the state championship game. If you have to start a team with any player in SEO in the last 20 years...you have to start it with Hump. His heart and will to win was second to none. You can put all the 6'6" bodies and talent you want around whoever you want, but if you don't have that intangible, you can't beat hump's team at that level.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I have never once disrespected Chillicothe, not once.

I have heard enough of the SEOAL, and voiced my displeasure, but I have not once said a single bad thing about Chillicothe's program. I have the utmost respect for it.

Great teams in my area. Ironton of 2004-05 was about as good as they get imo. They had just about anything you could want. Dennis Gagai (N. Kentucky) was as good a shooter as I have seen in SEO sense I have been watching. Kid basically took over games with his outside shooting ability. I remember watching him v #1 and state champion Huntington High the year before OJ Mayo came (they still had Early, Wild, WIlliams and Patterson), he scored 38 and the Tigers knocked them off. Maybe one of the best individual performances I have seen from a high school kid. Brig Wagginger (Western Carolina) was the PG, and one of the better pure PG's I have seen in SEO. Down low they had a 6'4 kid (Cliff Howard-Shawnee St) who was very athletic and strong enough to bang with centers bigger then him. He was your classic 10 point 10 boards kind of guy. Then they had guys like Marquis Williams who plays football at OSU providing the defensive pressure, and Chad Miller who was also a very good football player and athlete who went onto play college football at the lower level. Throw in coach Zornes son who was a nice shooter and technically sound player, and they were pretty complete. Played North College Hill (Bill Walker and OJ Mayo) to within 3 points in the state championship.

South Webster of 2005-2006 who went on to win the state championship was awfully good. Brig Wagginger who was previously at Ironton transferred to play with fellow college teammate and at the time Cincinnati commit Nick Aldridge. Nick is probably the second best player I have seen come out of SEO in terms of pure talent. Humpty, who I did see, was a very good player, but Nick was 6'8 and could do a little bit of everything. He was 1st team all southern conference and freshmen player of the year. SOuth Webster flat out destroyed their opponents during their tournament run, it was kind of embarrassing. The Lower kid was also a very good guard for them and was a nice defensive stopper.

There have been a lot of Wheelersburg teams that have been very very good. Burleson's senior year they were very good, and Andrew was certainly a very good player (wright State NCAA Tournament Team). They were upset my senior year in the Regional Semi-s by Eastern Brown, who were made up of all 6'2 guards who shot the lights out. The 2005-06 Wheelrsburg team was very special. They had two very good D1 players on their team (Spradlin-Elon) and Cam Miller (Western-Marshall). They just seemed to do everything right, never hurt themselves, and most people couldn't deal with their size.

If we are talking pure talent then right across the bridge from Chesapeake was Huntington High of 2006-07. Best team all together locally that I have ever seen and I don't think anyone can really debate it. OJ Mayo (USC-Memphis Griz), Patrick Patterson (UK- Houston Rockets), Chris Early (Oklahoma-Tenn Chat), Tanner Wild (Tennessee), Jamal Williams (Charleston) and their point guard (can't remember his name) went to West Virginia State. They were ranked #5 nationally I believe. The best teams I have seen in my life Oak Hill Acad (2001) and Akron SVSM (2003), would have had a very difficult time with HHS.

Best players I have seen in SEO:
1. Dante Jackson, McClain-Xavier
2. Nick Aldridge, South Webster-Western Carolina
3. Humpty Hitchens, Chillicothe-James Madison
4. Adrew Burleson, Wheelersburg-Wright State
5. Cam Throughman-Ports Clay-WVU
6. Bring Wagginger-Ironton-Western Carolina
7. Nick Spradlin-Wheelersburg-Elon
8. Dennis Gagai-Ironton-N. Kentucky
9. Cam Miller, Wheelersburg, Western Carolina-Marshall
10. Rick Edwards, Chesapeake-Richmond

ThePeakeInsider
JV Team

Post by ThePeakeInsider »

James Dempsey was the best point guard in Chesapeake basketball history, in my opinion,their have been alot good players come through the system but by far number 1.The team James played on,I think was one of the best in school history.One persons opinion.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I would agree with that, though the 2000 team was pretty darn good imo.

James was probably the best high school player, but Rick was by far the better overall player once he developed. Delimpo was also a nice player once he developed, and I am willing to bet that McMaster will do the same.

Return to “Boys Basketball”