"The People's Elite 8" poll week 7

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Re: "The People's Elite 8" poll week 7

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

peake wrote:How about those weak sisters of the poor OVC teams now?
You are the only one that referred to them that way. How about the SEOAL though, the top 3 teams still alive, and the 4th place team being beat in OT by a SEOAL foe. It's a shame the seeding went that way, or we might have the top 4 teams still alive.

I know your Panthers and Fairland made it, how did the rest of the OVC fair?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

CG is well Coal Grove.

South Point nearly knocked off the #2 seed and state ranked Trojans.

River Valley lost by 2 to Wellston who now plays Chesapeake.

Fairland blew out their opponent.

Rock Hill lost pretty bad.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

My point again, all three teams Big Boys from the amazing SEOAL had to hold their collective breaths as they all had to play until the last second to win their sectional games (well at least 1 of the sectional games).

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

peake wrote:My point again, all three teams Big Boys from the amazing SEOAL had to hold their collective breaths as they all had to play until the last second to win their sectional games (well at least 1 of the sectional games).
yea the game between Unioto and Chillicothe was over at the tip...we won by 26...but Chillicothe had a close one the first game like Portsmouth...the close game Chillicothe had imo woke them up. Portsmouth imo will probably whoop Northwest....continue good luck to ur Chesapeake as they get ready for basketball thirty....

tiggerfan
Riding the Bench

Post by tiggerfan »

peake: Warren, the other Big Boy team in the SEOAL not mentioned above, won in OT to ANOTHER SEOAL team. Shouldn't that show you a little about the strength of the league?

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Peake: Have you seen Warren play? Warren is located W-A-Y to the east of the southeast district so most have not seen them play outside of the SEOAL and TVC. I have no clue if they are better, as good as or worse than Chesapeake or any of the other teams in that area. I haven't seen them play. Warren is an outsider looking in as far as the whole southeast district goes...and I mean that in a lot of different ways. WHS doesn't get much respect in anything because of this.

Warren lost to Chilli twice, one on a Ragland bomb as time was running out and once with Austin Cunningham's chin being tended to for half the game. The Cavs are better but not by much.

The Warriors beat Portsmouth once without PHS's stud and lost to them by 15 or so the second time. Were you at that game? Trojan fans were thinking they might be going home with a loss with 6:00 to go. Warren had the lead and the momentum. A couple of great plays by PHS and the pendulum swung. The score may not have indicated it but this game was far from a blowout.

Gallia is not a good basketball team but they are quick, scappy and full of heart. This was their game to shine. They nearly pulled off the upset. But they didn't seal the deal.

These criteria are what you are basing your judgement of Warren on? I don't expect you to respect Warren Local because of the lack of knowledgeable info but don't disrespect them either.

I wish your team all the best and wish we were within reasonable driving distance to watch some of these great programs from "southeast" Ohio.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

There was never any disrespect.

The only problem I had with people, especially people who's teams are in the SEOAL putting a 3 loss Warren team above Chesapeake. Like I said, you want to build a case for SOS, fine, but you lost to all of the tough teams aside from beating Portsmouth early in the season without their complete team. Good for your close losses. You can't build a case when you lose. A loss is a loss despite losing by 1 or 20. I don't see any of you putting Ironton in your top 8. They played THE TOUGHEST SCHEDULE IN ALL OF SEO. Their 7 losses have come to 5 ranked opponents (Chesapeake twice, Portsmouth, CIn Taft, John Glenn, Huntington Prep). Where is the love for them? I don't buy this SEOAL bs about how the conference is just so tough. Yes I believe you have some very good teams and no one is arguing that, and putting portsmouth or chillicothe above Chesapeake is fine, I have not complained one time about it, but there is no logic that can possibly convince me that it is ok to put Warren above Chesapeake.

Here is my case one more time: Chesapeake wins over Wheelersburg by 20+ on their floor, Ironton twice one by double figures on a neutral floor, COlumbus Africentric on a neutral floor by 9, Fairland twice by 40+, and wins over AAA Parkersburg South and Spring Valley. Averaged beating every conference team by nearly 40 ppg. Down the stretch won 10 straight including two 40+ blowouts of #1 seed Fairland, and averaged beating the final four opponents by 36.5ppg, then a 40+ blowout of Minford in the Sectional Finals game.

Warren lost two down the stretch two Chillicothe in a heart breaker (which is still a loss no matter how you shake it), a blowout loss to Portsmouth, and a 4 point win over Gallia ( I dont have to say how bad Chesapeake beat them), followed by a 3 point win in the sectionals before beating a good Marietta team. Great win over Portsmouth early in the season but again it was without one of their better players. Portsmouth has built their case on how much better they are with him and how they are a different team, so blame portsmouth fans for convincing me and others that your win wasn't worth much early in the season.

This is what I am basing my opinion on. I have never said that Warren is not a quality program, and I am not disrespecting them by saying Chesapeake is better. Chesapeake is one of the best teams in the entire state of Ohio, I don't think is putting anyone down comparing them to Chesapeake. This poll is meant for debate and for all different opinions, and it is my opinion that Warren should not be above Chesapeake. Some voters have put them as low as 6th, which is just stupid. Voters who see a lot of basketball sure think Chesapeake is pretty good, as does the guy on here that most agree has a pretty good reputation for ranking these teams, and Warren is 7th in his poll with Chesapeake #1.

I have heard how awful the OVC is over and over, and compared to the SEOAL no they are not as good, but your best team in the SEOAL nearly lost to a middle of the road OVC team. It is what it is.

Tiger,

Yes your top 3 are good, I have not argued that once. Though the argument for a great conference is usually that playing against one another helps you against weaker teams in the tournament, and so far your top 3 seeds have all had to hang on against weaker teams early. Does that mean much, probably not, but it is something to think about. You can't ignore struggles if you are going to point out success.

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

chesapeake would be middle of the pack, AT BEST, in the SEOAL. End of discussion!

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

I question alot of what you have to say by saying you beat AAA pburg south. Wheelersburg is another I watched play this year, they in my mind, compare to Fort Frye. Ironton has the Carter boy, but the kids that are playing in Ironton right now, are real close to the same team that the Warren Juniors beat twice just last year as sophomores. I think Ironton's Coach is top notch, hes has IMO, established a great team concept, alot of disicipline, and isn't afraid to lose. If you arn't afraid to lose, you will make adjustments quicker, and make changes that can and will push you ahead of others. He also gets the most out of each individual player by doing so.
South has Chase. He is tall has the three ball, the dunk, the block, and parents that were willing to move to see all of their children advance and do well. South has a good team, but they are no Portsmouth, or Chili. I know Chili can be beat, we gave them a game came up short. IMO that at poll time is called a draw. All three SEOAL Teams are strong, all three can be beaten. I just don't see any Warren Fan or Parent sitting back and giving you the ok to toss us about like yesterdays news. Put us over Chesapeake or put us under Chesapeake we are all in a line up of talented teams, and that my friend is what matters. It doesn't matter, put all 8 names in a bag and shake em up. That might just be how this all comes out. I wouldn't split hairs over who is the tenth of a cent better.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

"Chesapeake would be middle of the pack at best in the SEOAL"

No way.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

End of discussion I guess. Nice logic Johnny Quest.

You see this is why when your top 3 struggle in the early going against not very good competition and many of you say, how dare you question how good our conference is, this is why you make it very easy to not like your teams.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

^^^^^replace "at best" with "at worst"

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I guess we can agree to disagree, and when we are beating teams like Parkersburg South or Spring Valley, which have triple to 5 times more kids then us, I feel it is ok to include.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

I bleed blue and white(Chillicothe)...Chesapeake imo is the best team in the SE until proven wrong...

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

peake wrote:Yes your top 3 are good, I have heard how awful the OVC is over and over, and compared to the SEOAL no they are not as good, but your best team in the SEOAL nearly lost to a middle of the road OVC team. It is what it is.

First of all the top 4 teams are good. I personally never said the OVC was awful, I have only commented that I believe they are weaker than the other local conferences. This includes the SEOAL, and SOC 2.
Secondly the team that finished 2nd in the SEOAL (Portsmouth) had a close game against as you put it the middle of the road OVC team. That’s true, it was close but it's still a win. Do we get bummed to a different bracket or something since it was a close win? No wins are wins in the tournament. I will say that South Point and the OVC did gain some respect from me in the game, but haven’t changed my opinion. The Pointers came in with a great game plan, and the 3s were falling for them, which made for an exciting game.

I am NOT saying Chesapeake would be middle of the road in the SEOAL, as someone else has. I believe the Panthers are very good, but I also believe their record would have more blemishes on it having to play the likes of Chillicothe, Portsmouth, Warren, and Marietta. All 4 of these teams I believe are capable of beating Chesapeake. Chesapeake is capable of beating them as well, but that’s my point they haven't had too. Each of the 4 SEOAL schools listed above had to play 6 games in league against very stiff competition, then their non league. Where the OVC, has Chesapeake that I don't think anyone will dispute is good, then Fairland and we will list South Point since they played such a close game with PHS this time. Even then that results in 4 tough league games (if Point plays tough both games PHS took them to task earlier). What I'm saying though, none of the top 4 teams in the SEOAL finish worse than 2nd in the OVC, and I think all four could compete for 1st. That’s it, you can't say the top 4,3, or even 2 teams from the OVC could compete for a SEOAL.

None of this really matters though, everyone just keep winning now. SEOAL could have another Chilli vs Warren game in the future, and Portsmouth could have an opportunity to play its way up the OVC ladder with possible match ups against Fairland, and Chesapeake on the horizon. Or Fairland could earn a chance at a rematch with the Panthers as well. Nobody needs to be looking ahead to any of those now though. We need to just keep winning and see how everything shakes out. Best of luck to all.

By the way earlier when I asked how the OVC was doing in the tournament that was a serious question not a knock, on the OVC. Just saying when I reread it I could see how it could have been taken wrong.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

The SOC 2 got smacked in the mouth by chesapeake and fairland also beat Oak Hill.

IMO the SOC 2 is not very good, jmo.

I see what you are saying.

Believe me, I want every SEO team to do well. There is little respect given out to SEO despite the fact Chilli, Oak Hill, and SOuth Webster all have won a title recently and others such are Chesapeake, White Oak, Piketon, Belpre, Eastern Brown, Wheelersburg, Ironton (might be missing a few) have went to state.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

peake wrote:The SOC 2 got smacked in the mouth by chesapeake and fairland also beat Oak Hill.

IMO the SOC 2 is not very good, jmo.
You’re looking at the SOC2 against your Panthers not against the OVC as a whole. Burg took it to Fairland. Again not doubting the Panthers but top to bottom SOC2's seems stronger to me. Also the Oaks finished 3rd and I don't know when they played Fairland, but I believe they were ravaged by injury down the stretch, which killed their season.

peake wrote:Believe me, I want every SEO team to do well. There is little respect given out to SEO despite the fact Chilli, Oak Hill, and SOuth Webster all have won a title recently and others such are Chesapeake, White Oak, Piketon, Belpre, Eastern Brown, Wheelersburg, Ironton (might be missing a few) have went to state.
I agree with you one hundred percent. Historically Portsmouth is the only team to really get respect out of the South East region, and that was due to play all over the state in years past and of course the 4 titles. However a decade of less than impressive results, have caused us to lose the respect that we once had. Hopefully this year we start to regain some of that respect, but it won't be given it must be earned.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

bvmv4life wrote:I bleed blue and white(Chillicothe)...Chesapeake imo is the best team in the SE until proven wrong...
I agree.........not about the Bleeding blue and white lol.....but Chesapeake IMO is the best Team in SEO until proven wrong.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

OHbuckeye1 wrote:
bvmv4life wrote:I bleed blue and white(Chillicothe)...Chesapeake imo is the best team in the SE until proven wrong...
I agree.........not about the Bleeding blue and white lol.....but Chesapeake IMO is the best Team in SEO until proven wrong.

I would agree with you guys if they had played more of what we have voted to be the top teams. However since they haven't played Chillicothe, Portsmouth, Piketon, Warren or Peebles, how do we know? Is it fair to punish Chillicothe, Portsmouth and Warren for beating up on each other? Or Piketon for playing Zanesville?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Chesapeake played Logan WV, who beat Wheeling Park, who beat Zanesville.

Chesapeake is 20-0 v Ohio teams, period. Wheelersburg, Ironton, and Fairland are good wins, all teams with 14+ wins. Throw in Africentric.

BtW, Fairland beat OAk HIll at Beast of the Southeast, middle of the season.

I thought we had a common ground but when you play that same card you have been playing you continue coming out the same. Chesapeake can't help who they play, all they can do is line them up and beat them, and they have done that plus some. We didn't make an excuse for not having a player, we didn't say well we had to play this team or that team. Chesapeake played very well all season long, beat good teams, and against weaker competition blew its opponents into smithereens. We didn't play down to our competition, we knocked people out cold.

If the rule is no one can be good unless they play in SEOAL then I guess we should all cancel our basketball programs.

We voted? No you SEOAL voters voted. PFloyd put Warren at 7th.

The reason this poll exists is because SEOAL posters complaining about where Chillicothe was rated in Dime a Dozen's poll when he did it in absence of Pfloyd. He made the effort to go see all the SEO teams and people still complained all because there was NO WAY any team could be better then an SEOAL team.

Return to “Boys Basketball”