Fairfield (8-9) #5 vs. Clay (11-8) #4 @ Valley HS 3/1

Wholly_Shnikeys
Riding the Bench

Re: Fairfield (8-9) #5 vs. Clay (11-8) #4 @ Valley HS 3/1

Post by Wholly_Shnikeys »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Poor sportsmanship???? Why wouldn't Clay root for ND. They are in the same SOC and the SOC II has always looked down on the SOC I and there is also some history between Clay and SW and not just in Basketball. From what I've been told, the SW soccer team has pretty much been total tools towards the Clay soccer team and for no apparent reason. It was obvious that SW had the better soccer team but still yet they tried to score as many as they could in a game that was never in doubt, so if you want to talk about class, you might want to know some facts before you go saying stuff.
Im not getting into the whole clay/webster rivalry stuff or whatever you want to call it because im from neither school. but i will say that even if they are "rivals" and there is "history" between the two then that should be settled on the court/floor/field when the TWO teams are playing... not when one is playing and the other is watching from the stands... sorry i started something, just was curious to know why those young men were acting that way

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Not really sure what started it, but had a friend of mine that has a son that plays soccer for Clay and he said his son was at the movies one night in the summer about 2 years ago when a SW player walked up to him and told him "We are going to beat the "F---" out of you in soccer this year. My friends son didn't even know who the kids was at the time, but found out later and didn't know what prompted that. His son said that it then carried over onto the field and to him it was a little uncalled for.

I agree that it needs to be settled on the court/field but kind of hard to do since they only play each other a few times each year in all sports.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

He said......... she said...... really>? we can all get on here and tell stories like that----it doesn't make things right. The only thing they did last night was make themselves look bad. Shouldn't have happened. I have never seen a group of "kids" or seniors in high school stand behind another teams cheerblock and do that---it makes it a little worse that they are basketball players and were just beaten in the tournament the night before. Not the end of the world, but defending it by calling kids from South Webster tools makes even less sense. Some things are not defendable....... so you say things like "they are kids---get over it" and that I can understand! I wasn't mad last night because they ARE kids...... your response was the thing that got me going!

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

I wasn't there but I did hear about it and I told them that is was wrong and uncalled for. If they have issues with someone, address it in private, not in front of the whole world. I didn't like it as a fan when the kids from Green cheered against Clay the night before, so I know how it must have looked.
There is some bad blood between some of the boys, but that is just HS boys, full of piss and testosterone.
As a Clay fan and parent, I apologize for their lack of better judgement. Had I been there, it would have stopped. There is a line between having fun and rooting on an SOCI team over an SOCII team, and just trying to provoke someone, and they crossed it.
Good luck to SW with the rest of your tournament, as in soccer, you will probably be the last local team eliminated.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

svbt1112 wrote:He said......... she said...... really>? we can all get on here and tell stories like that----it doesn't make things right. The only thing they did last night was make themselves look bad. Shouldn't have happened. I have never seen a group of "kids" or seniors in high school stand behind another teams cheerblock and do that---it makes it a little worse that they are basketball players and were just beaten in the tournament the night before. Not the end of the world, but defending it by calling kids from South Webster tools makes even less sense. Some things are not defendable....... so you say things like "they are kids---get over it" and that I can understand! I wasn't mad last night because they ARE kids...... your response was the thing that got me going!

I have seen this happen numerous times over the years. I remember at least 3 occasions back in the 80's when the Wheelersburg/Portsmouth rivalry was a lot stronger that kids, and even adults, from Portsmouth came to Burg tourney games and would sit and root against the Pirates. We just thought it was funny that someone would drive all the way to Athens or Columbus and spend all that money just to root against a rival school. I think 1984 when the Burg knocked the Trojans out of the tourney by beating them at Athens was the worst. The following game about 20 kids from Portsmouth sat with the cheer block of the team we were playing and cheered with them. We still won and went on the state finals, but it was kind of funny.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Burg grad: I remember that as well. Those were some great games! Burg should have won in 83 and lost and PHS should have won in 84 and lost.

I wouldn't have seen anything wrong at all if the Clay kids sat with or behind the notre dame cheer block---SOC1 vs SOC2----no problem with that. The point was they sat right behind OUR cheerblock. That I have never seen before.

I don't care if they go to the Convo and cheer for Eastern----just please don't sit in OUR cheerblock to do it! There is a difference! If the Portsmouth Fans would have tried to sit with Burg's cheerblock back in 1984 and cheered against Burg what would you think would have happened?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Knowing those kids from back then they would have either laughed it off or tossed them onto the floor. lol

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Yeah, I am with ya. It would have been more fun as we won!

Rockyraccoon: Much respect towards ya------wow, never thought I would type that!

Our cheering section hasn't been the largest----we could probably use the extra help. Green had the best cheerblock I have seen in the tournament thus far. And, the one kid from ND that never stopped jumping up and down----the whole pre-game and halftime as well------5 hour energy diluted inside a Red Bull? Wow

Return to “Boys Basketball”