D4 Wellston Sectional

John Wooden
JV Team

Re: D4 Wellston Sectional

Post by John Wooden »

(1) Eastern 15-2
(2) Symmes Valley 13-3
(3),(4),(5),(6) put Waterford 10-6, Trimble 10-7, Southern 9-8 and Eastern Pike 9-7 all in a hat and pick
(7) South Gallia
(8) ISJ
(9) Miller

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

St. Joe is 10-7 and should be in the mix with all these other schools from #3-#6.

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:St. Joe is 10-7 and should be in the mix with all these other schools from #3-#6.

ISJ comes in with a winning record every year but I can't remember them every winning a sectional. So sos comes into play, thats why I put them at (8) and because SG beat them twice.

obpg
Waterboy

Post by obpg »

This is the first time ISJ has came in with a winning record in a long time.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

1. Reedsville Eastern
2. Symmes Valley
3, 4, and 5- Waterford, Trimble, and Southern no particular order.
6 and 7- South Gallia and Beaver Eastern. I think SG played a much harder schedule.
8. St. Joe
9. Miller

(alvin
Waterboy

Post by (alvin »

futurebkstar wrote:1. Reedsville Eastern
2. Symmes Valley
6 and 7- South Gallia and Beaver Eastern. I think SG played a much harder schedule.
8. St. Joe
9. Miller
Well Southern jus spanked Trimble so they should be ahead of them

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

I have seen South Gallia play and South Gallia would not beat Eastern Pike, Symmes Valley, Green, or Clay (top 4 SOC1 teams) and is about on par with Notre Dame/New Boston within the SOC1.

South Gallia would not beat Minford, Waverly, Northwest, Valley, or Wellston either (Eastern Pike's non-league). So I am not sure how South Gallia has played a better schedule?

1. Reedsville
2. Symmes Valley
3. Waterford (3-6 could go in any order, but TVC has the votes to place them how they want them)
4. Trimble
5. Eastern Pike
6. Southern
7. South Gallia
8. St. Joe
9. Miller

Miller and South Gallia being the only 2 teams with losing records...but South Gallia has played a tougher schedule than St. Joe IMHO. Just my opinion, but I doubt there is a team in the sectional pool that wants to play Symmes Valley or Eastern Pike this season.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

futurebkstar wrote:1. Reedsville Eastern
2. Symmes Valley
8. St. Joe
9. Miller

I dont know If South Gallia is better than Eastern Pike or not but there is no doubt in my mind that they have more quality wins.

EP wins = Western (3x), New Boston (2x), East (2x after tonight), Notre Dame (2x) and their best win (7-11) D3 Minford.

SG wins = Wahama, ISJ (2x), D3 Belpre, D3 Federal Hocking (2x), OVC.

We can agree to disagree but I do believe South Gallia is one tier/level above Notre Dame and New Boston and would beat them pretty consistently.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

I respect your work and opinion Jimmy. I would still disagree though. Belpre and Fed Hock are very poor D3 teams that are struggling in a D4 league?????? Who in the SOC2 could they compete with? Minford has wins over Valley (beat Reedsville) and Oak Hill when they were ranked. Eastern pike's win over Minford is more impressive than beating Fed Hock and Belpre IMHO.

All of this is speculation from each team's supporters. I follow Eastern Pike of course and Southern due to Coach Caldwell so I have seen the TVC schools and SOC1 schools play. time will tell, but I think the TVC is deeper but the top 4 SOC1 teams are stronger as a whole than the top 4 TVC teams. Again, many will disagree (especially TVC school supporters) but I think when the Wellston and Lucasville sectionals meet at the CONVO the top 4 SOC1 teams will more than hold their own with the TVC schools. I will be willing to eat plenty of crow if this is not the case....lol

Good luck to all teams.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

ISJ won a sectional in 2007. Must have slipped your mine :122249

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Eaglesnest wrote:I respect your work and opinion Jimmy. I would still disagree though. Belpre and Fed Hock are very poor D3 teams that are struggling in a D4 league?????? Who in the SOC2 could they compete with? Minford has wins over Valley (beat Reedsville) and Oak Hill when they were ranked. Eastern pike's win over Minford is more impressive than beating Fed Hock and Belpre IMHO.

All of this is speculation from each team's supporters. I follow Eastern Pike of course and Southern due to Coach Caldwell so I have seen the TVC schools and SOC1 schools play. time will tell, but I think the TVC is deeper but the top 4 SOC1 teams are stronger as a whole than the top 4 TVC teams. Again, many will disagree (especially TVC school supporters) but I think when the Wellston and Lucasville sectionals meet at the CONVO the top 4 SOC1 teams will more than hold their own with the TVC schools. I will be willing to eat plenty of crow if this is not the case....lol

Good luck to all teams.
I also respect your opinion having read many of your post. Firstly, Belpre and Federal Hocking are bad D3 teams, however, they would beat Western and East every time. I believe they would also beat ND and NB a minimum of 60-70% of the time.

I agree that the top 4 SOC1 schools can hold their own with the top 4 of TVC. But, as you have already said the depth of the TVC is far and away better than SOC1. TVC has only 1 team that is not competitive in and out of their league = Miller.

I have said that the Minford win is a nice win and I do believe they are a lot better than Belpre and Federal Hocking but that is 1 win. The other 9 wins (counting tonights East game) not so strong as I believe South Gallia would have been a clear favorite to win those 9 games too. Also, I believe SG only lost to SV by 3 at SV. That should shed light on there ability to compete in the SOC1. Dont get me wrong they would have lost some games playing in the SOC1.

Honestly, on a neutral floor I would take EP over SG as I think they are the more talented team who just for some reason hasnt got it going this year.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I am sure I am in the minority when discussing the merits of St. Joe getting a seed higher than #8 but here goes.

First of all, people constantly down St. Joe yet St. Joe is always listed as a "quality win" when discussing the teams that have beaten St. Joe.

I am sure that most everyone thinks that playing in the TVC is a stronger schedule than St. Joe's independent schedule but the fact remains that St. Joe plays some schools from the TVC, OVC and SOC and does not load up on the "Christian School Circuit" as many have said in the past.

The strongest argument against St. Joe is that they have lost twice to South Gallia so SG has to be seeded in front of SG. With that argument, SJ was doomed to the #8 seed after the first game of the season when they lost to SG at SJ. The reason I say that is because the game at SG last Saturday had no bearing because St. Joe doesn't win at SG. I can't remember the last time, if ever, that St. Joe has gone to SG and won. It seems narrow minded to say that 2 wins was all SG needed to get a higher seed than St. Joe and SJ's 10 wins will have no impact on their seeding.

I'm sure I sound like a homer but I think St. Joe's 8 wins away from their home court and winning 7 of their last 9 games tells more about what type of tournament team they could be that focusing on a loss in the first game of the year.

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

I did forget about ISJ beating Symmes Valley in 2007. It doesn't matter that I think ISJ is an (8) my opinion doesn't count, I'm not a coach that will be voting. The number (1) plays the winner of the (8)) and (9) so we will see who the coaches think is the number (8) and (9). The coach of the number (1) is not going to let them vote a better team at (8) and (9).

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

You make a good point about the coaches voting. With 6 TVC schools in the bracket I would expect those coaches to have the most influence. I would think SV, Eastern Pike and SJ will not end up playing each other in the first round. That way, more TVC teams get a chance to advance out of the sectional.

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:You make a good point about the coaches voting. With 6 TVC schools in the bracket I would expect those coaches to have the most influence. I would think SV, Eastern Pike and SJ will not end up playing each other in the first round. That way, more TVC teams get a chance to advance out of the sectional.

If the TVC schools are better they will win and advance, if not they won't. The good thing about high school basketball everyone gets their shot.

Hardwood
JV Team

Post by Hardwood »

Any word on the draw?

oldpgguy
Freshman Team

Post by oldpgguy »

1-Eastern Meigs
2- Symmes Valley
3- Waterford
4-Trimble
5-Southern
6- Eastern Pike
7- S Gallia
8- St. Joe
9- Miller

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Eastern Meigs is playing very good at this time. Any team in this sectional can beat any other team in the sectional which also means that any team can lose to any of the teams also. Should be a very good sectional and set of games. That being said which ever team gets hot at tournament time will come out.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Good luck to all teams!!!

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

who is ovc? and what league are they in and what division?

Return to “Boys Basketball”