D4 Wellston Sectional

pleasanttiger
SEO

Re: D4 Wellston Sectional

Post by pleasanttiger »

I agree with BlindWhiteHat, #1 and #9 are easy. the rest will be very interesting. There are a few games left before the seeding meeting that could help clear things up a little.

prepster
Riding the Bench

Post by prepster »

Fed Hock is Div 3

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Post by Trimble Juvenile »

mercerville monster wrote:SG is the sleeper in this sectional. Seems like they lost to everyone in this sectional by 10 points or less and they keep improving as the year goes on. I think this sectional may be the most evenly matched it has ever been.
If the sectional was played at SG they would be ranked #2 by me cause anything can happen down there

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Bottom line is there are 6 TVC teams out of the 9. They will take care of each other and put each other where they want. That's just how it is.

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

In only a weeks time Waterford has moved in front of Trimble in the Hocking. It is hard to tell who will be where by the 13th.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

South Gallia beat an upcoming fed hock team by double digits on their floor. Fed hock has been playing good lately. South Gallia is now 6-8. They play st Joe tonite. They already beat them on the road early in the season.

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

In the TVC games before the 13th
Eastern 14-2
2/8 @ Waterford
2/11 Wahama
2/12 Frontier
2/11 @ SG

oldpgguy
Freshman Team

Post by oldpgguy »

St. Joe 9-6

2/5 @ South Gallia
2/8 @ New Boston

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Now Symmes Valley is the #2

oldpgguy
Freshman Team

Post by oldpgguy »

They have been # 2 for me all week; from another thread

Wellston

1 Eastern
2 Symmes Valley
3 Waterford
4 Trimble
5 St Joe
6 Southern
7 Eastern Pike
8 South Gallia
9 Miller

Last edited by FlyersBaseball on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

me too

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Waterford beats Miller by 2 Friday and Loses by 13 to Fort Frye by 13 sat.Now 10-5 I think they will be 4 behind Eastern,SV,and Trimble.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

South gallua just beat ironton st Joe for the 2nd time this season tonight, there is no way they should be seated higher. The rebels are now 7-8!!

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

While the two St. Joe losses to South Gallia have to be considered, I don't think it should make it a lock that SG gets seeded in front of St. Joe. SJ will either be 10-7 or 9-8 at the draw depending on how their game with New Boston turns out and South Gallia will not have a better winning percentage at that time.

Since the tournament games are not played on anyone's home court, I think it makes sense to look at a team's record away from home when deciding seeds. South Gallia has only 3 wins away from home. There wins away from home are against St. Joe, OVC and Federal Hocking. Not an impressive list in my opinion.

St. Joe has won at East, West, Notre Dame, Rock Hill and Wellston (the sectional tournament site). St. Joe has also won on neutral courts against Coal Grove and Rose Hill. With St. Joe having 7 of 9 wins coming away from home, I would see them as being better suited for a tournament played on a neutral floor. I completely agree with another posters assessment that if the sectional were held at South Gallia, they should be the #2 seed but that isn't the case.

The head-to-head argument is compelling but if SJ was 15-2 and SG was 2-15 with their only wins coming against St. Joe, could you possibly seed them ahead of SJ? Of course not. Two games can't determine seeding, the entire season must be considered. Sadly, this discussion likely won't matter as 6 of 9 teams in the draw will be from the TVC meaning Symmes Valley, Eastern Pike and St. Joe will go wherever the TVC teams see fit.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:While the two St. Joe losses to South Gallia have to be considered, I don't think it should make it a lock that SG gets seeded in front of St. Joe. SJ will either be 10-7 or 9-8 at the draw depending on how their game with New Boston turns out and South Gallia will not have a better winning percentage at that time.

Since the tournament games are not played on anyone's home court, I think it makes sense to look at a team's record away from home when deciding seeds. South Gallia has only 3 wins away from home. There wins away from home are against St. Joe, OVC and Federal Hocking. Not an impressive list in my opinion.

St. Joe has won at East, West, Notre Dame, Rock Hill and Wellston (the sectional tournament site). St. Joe has also won on neutral courts against Coal Grove and Rose Hill. With St. Joe having 7 of 9 wins coming away from home, I would see them as being better suited for a tournament played on a neutral floor. I completely agree with another posters assessment that if the sectional were held at South Gallia, they should be the #2 seed but that isn't the case.

The head-to-head argument is compelling but if SJ was 15-2 and SG was 2-15 with their only wins coming against St. Joe, could you possibly seed them ahead of SJ? Of course not. Two games can't determine seeding, the entire season must be considered. Sadly, this discussion likely won't matter as 6 of 9 teams in the draw will be from the TVC meaning Symmes Valley, Eastern Pike and St. Joe will go wherever the TVC teams see fit.
BlindWhiteHat,

Honestly and realistically, swith SG and ISJ' schedules (each playing the other teams). What is ISJ's record now? What is SG's record now? The records change significantly. I truly believe that ISJ would be 4-11 or 5-10 at best.
Last edited by jimmy chipwood on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

JimmyC, While ISJ does not make excuses it should be noted the Flyers played without one of it's tallest and better players last night against SG.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

jimmy chipwood wrote:BlindWhiteHat,

Honestly and realistically, swith SG and ISJ' schedules (each playing the other teams). What is ISJ's record now? What is SG's record now? I know you wont be honest or realistic about these questions but someone who is not biased towards either team can and the records change significantly. I truly believe that ISJ would be 4-11 or 5-10 at best.
You come off a bit arrogant saying that you know that I won't be "honest or realistic". For one, I don't make many statements about things I know nothing about so I wouldn't even pretend to guess how South Gallia would fare against St. Joe's schedule or vice versa. Since you seem to know so much about every team and their schedule, I will leave that up to you.

I saw SG play at SJ and wasn't impressed with either team. I have however gotten to see SJ improve over the course of the season but haven't watched SG play again. I don't find it out of the ordinary to think SG would beat SJ at SG nor do I find it out of the ordinary that SG wins the majority of their games at home. It is my personal opinion that SJ is a better team than SG on a neutral floor.

SG will boast that they are better based on head to head matchups and SJ will boast that they are better based on their overall record compared to that of SG. I will leave it to the experts like you when deciding who would fare better with the other team's schedule.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

BlindWhiteHat,

I apologize for the tone of the post as it was uncalled for. It has been edited and was directed at you when it was more intended to be aimed at those who live in a bubble around their home teams and have lost touch with reality.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

No problem. I do live in a bubble around my home team but I realize that I have very limited knowledge of what goes on throughout the area.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Thank you Jimmy chipwood!!!! Almost every team South Gallia played has a winning record!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”