1-14 VC @ Wellston

@nd_1
Freshman Team

Re: 1-14 VC @ Wellston

Post by @nd_1 »

gorockets2 wrote:You wanna talk about class how about the vinton people throwing bottles onto the floor or vintons coach going out to the foul line to argue a call! Yea real classy!
... and breaking a locker room door.

McArthur General
Waterboy

Post by McArthur General »

Keyser_soze78 wrote:Below is the stats for the game.

And below is Wellston coach Jim Derrow's direct quote, on tape, to media members after the game:

"This is just a really fun win for us. They had won 14 in a row. And on their radio show (Viking Roundball Hour on WKOV FM 96.7) last night (Thursday), that was the trivia question (Wellston's most recent win over Vinton County). That really, really upset me. I'll be honest with you. I'd like you (media) to say that. You don't need to make a mockery of somebody else, and that is what they did last night. To have the guts to say the night before you play somebody how many times have you beat them consecutive, that is rubbing it in their face. Salt in the wounds. And don't think that didn't help us tonight. I didn't think that had to happen, but it did. I would never do that. I thought that was classless on their part and I would like to say that. That definitely didn't hurt our situation tonight. Karma is a bear. Take it from LeBron James. Karma is a bear."
He would never do that, but he would start a thread on this website the day of the game with Vinton County stating that their schedule was too weak. What a classy guy he is.

mustang77
Waterboy

Post by mustang77 »

Sorry but you got me mixed up with another user name.this topic came up in conversation yesterday and I just wanted to find out the answer. What has that got to do with the game last night. Wrong user, sorry to disappoint you.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Like I posted earlier, this was a great win for The Golden Rocket Varsity team. They were the better team and they deserved the win.

So far as Derrow's post game comment regarding the Viking Radio Show, first, I'm flattered that he tunes in and listens so attentively to the broadcast. But I do, however, think its sad that instead of focusing on probably the biggest win of their season, the Wellston Coach chose to turn his time with the media into calling an objective trivia question classless. I know exactly what was said during that broadcast and it was a simple, factual question that was related to one of the topics of the show......Wellston versus Vinton County. Nothing was said to put down or degrade Wellston, their kids, or their coach. In fact both Coach Combs and the host were complimentary about the Wellston team and their recent wins.

I don't recall any Wellston Football coach ever calling out newspaper reporters for printing that Jackson Football ran off twenty some straight victories. I'm certain if you go back and review all of those preview articles you see that those sports reporters printed that Jackson had won consecutive games.

This is just my opinion, and if Coach Derrow is that thin skinned and uses a rival teams radio broadcast as fodder to inspire his team that is certainly his business. When he feels it is appropriate to waste interview time to tell a newspaper reporter to print it rather using that time to be positive about a great win for his program, that is kinda sad.

McArthur General
Waterboy

Post by McArthur General »

Ty Webb wrote:When he feels it is appropriate to waste interview time to tell a newspaper reporter to print it rather using that time to be positive about a great win for his program, that is kinda sad.
In Derrow's defense, it has been so long since he has had a great win, he probably just didn't know how to handle it.

whsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by whsfan »

Win or lose it never fails. You guys will bash Derrow. You want to ridicule every little thing he says or does. It's funny how we still haven't heard a response from anybody about the bottles being thrown or the broken door. Or is this acceptable behavior in vinton county? I know I know. They're just kids right? It's funny because I saw the second bottle being thrown by a kid with glasses sitting one seat from the aisle. And beside him was an adult who just sat there and laughed. Along with a few other parents accross the aisle laughing in the stands by the way. Classy bunch....

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

I agree with you whsfan(and I meant to respond to that in my earlier post), there were two empty bottles that came onto the floor from the visiting side late in the game. That was completely uncalled for. I don't know what team the people who threw them were rooting for but whoever did it was out of line.

I'm curious about the locker room door you mentioned. How did you find out about this? Are you on Wellston's staff or are you a janitor or administrator. I'm shocked because I've communicated with people very close to the VC staff and when they left the locker room and boarded the bus nothing had been damaged. Why don't you PM me the specifics. :122248

I don't think anyone has bashed Derrow on this thread. He was the one that went public(via the newspaper quote) drawing attention to himself. :oops:

Again, a great win for the Golden Rockets. ;-)

whsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by whsfan »

Ty- I read @nd_1s post.
And I'm not talking just specifically about this page of the thread. I'm talking about the countless cheapshots and jabs thrown at him on this forum. But then again I realize you cant argue with a lot of the irrational people who like to make childish remarks behind a computer monitor.

gorockets2
Riding the Bench

Post by gorockets2 »

Ty one bottle came from the second row of your student section and the other from a older man in the middle of vintons fans he was wearing a vinton sweat shirt so both were threw from your fans. As for the door I do not work for the school so I have no idea if that was a wellston kid or vc kid.

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

Jim Derrow coaches at Wellston still? When did the circus come into town? I thought he had joined Barnum and Bailey's three ring circus.

prepster
Riding the Bench

Post by prepster »

Typical Vinton County. Resort to bashing when things don't go your way. Great job young Rockets. Keep improving. 4 wins in a row --- 5 out of 6. Wellston is very proud of you. Stay hungry and keep improving. Vinton posters keep doing what you do the best. Bash your opponents. Maybe you should take a look at your own house, you seem to be having a few problems of your own. Keep your positive focus boys. Wellston is very proud of you. On a side note, Vinton Countys students also threw the small rubber basketballs at our coaching staff clear across the floor while they were scouting the vinton- my game last week. They threw bottles on the floor late in the game. Seems that maybe somebody in charge should monitor the student section. That's two instances in a week. Go Rockets! I think that maybe you are calling the wrong group a circus Downtown.

mikethompson
Riding the Bench

Post by mikethompson »

doesn't anybody get it ? no matter what derrow does he will be criticized. just let it go

prepster
Riding the Bench

Post by prepster »

No mike ... Normally just by the same few posters from vinton county. I think most people are tired of their antics.

3sportdad
Waterboy

Post by 3sportdad »

As far as the bottle from the kid, that was immediately addressed by another student. As far as the locker door, my son was one of the last out of the lockerroom Friday night. The door was not damaged before he left. As far as the FILTHY floor that the boys had to playon, you'll have to take that up with someone from the Janitorial Department. Or was that VC's doing also? Whoever made the call to NOT clean that floor should be ashamed of themselves! Great way to show pride in your school, team and program. But VC is the classless ones, go figure.

viking4life
Riding the Bench

Post by viking4life »

gorockets2 wrote:You wanna talk about class how about the vinton people throwing bottles onto the floor or vintons coach going out to the foul line to argue a call! Yea real classy!
http://www.jjhuddle.com/news/articles/2 ... d-for-year

Would you call this class??

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

CoyDuke.......This is Coach Combs' main quote after the game

“You have to give Wellston credit, they did what they had to do to win. We left the door open for them, and they took advantage of it for the greater part of the game. And we really didn’t execute anything on either end of the floor tonight. We had our opportunities to make some things happen and we just didn’t. From a defensive pressure standpoint, we didn’t rotate well, to offensive execution where we missed easy shots and we panicked in tough situations. We were a mess to be honest with you,” said Vinton County coach Matt Combs. “We missed tons of shots, we left opportunities out there to get them down. When you are on the road, and you let teams off the hook, it usually comes back to bite you. It did tonight. There’s no excuse for it. We just played bad and we have to take full responsibility for it.”

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Keyser_soze78 wrote:CoyDuke.......This is Coach Combs' main quote after the game

“You have to give Wellston credit, they did what they had to do to win. We left the door open for them, and they took advantage of it for the greater part of the game. And we really didn’t execute anything on either end of the floor tonight. We had our opportunities to make some things happen and we just didn’t. From a defensive pressure standpoint, we didn’t rotate well, to offensive execution where we missed easy shots and we panicked in tough situations. We were a mess to be honest with you,” said Vinton County coach Matt Combs. “We missed tons of shots, we left opportunities out there to get them down. When you are on the road, and you let teams off the hook, it usually comes back to bite you. It did tonight. There’s no excuse for it. We just played bad and we have to take full responsibility for it.”
Thats a stand up coach. No excuses. Both teams played hard. Wellston just executed better. Give them credit, for that night Wellston was a tough place to get a win, felt like the old days. As far as the bottles being thrown, you cant hold a county or a program responsible for the actions of a few. Good on Wellston, it was a good and exciting game. I knew Wellston would eventually get VC. At least they did it at there place. 14 in a row is a pretty good run. VC will have a chance to get revenge at home, and something tells me they will. As far as Derrows quote, its Jim Derrow, who cares!

prepster
Riding the Bench

Post by prepster »

You guys never cease to amaze us all.The actions of a few shouldn't ruin the image of the Vinton County program. Let us review the last two weeks. Comments on a radio show- threw bottles on the floor during game action- threw small rubber basketballs at our coaching staff last week while they were scouting. Real classy. Overall vinton County has not handled their success very well. Wellston owned VC for many years. VC has owned Wellston the last 7. Maybe we are starting to see things balance out a little. Ibjust hope that Wellston had not acted like the VC posters and some of their fans while they were on the losing end of the scoreboard. You obviously care about what Coach Derrow says even though you day you don't. You certainly talk about it enough.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

On the radio show tonight host Carl Knox stated that he called Coach Gabriel and had the trivia question approved so he would not offend anybody. Coach Gabriel was OK with it. BTW, I don't think Alexander has beat VC since the 2005-2006 season. Sorry, hope that comment doesn't upset Coach Gabriel! Doubt it will, he is a little more comfortable with his coaching abilities than some others are.

mustang77
Waterboy

Post by mustang77 »

Sid you seem to be new on here. Your comments look alot like many others on here. Maybe you are all related. Being from vinton co anything is possible. You know what's sad. This karma thing that I have been reading about is going to cost you again. Making fun of teams and coaches that just beat you is a bad sign. You are all concentrating on the wrong game. Karma strikes twice. Alex wins and guess who's to blame. Sid Farkus or Aka TW. You better hope the game is postponed so the bad karma is changed.

Return to “Boys Basketball”