Waterboy

Re: Pike County Holiday Classic

Post by bvarn10 »

Wow Waverly kept it close!

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Any Post Game Stats? Sounds like a barn burner in downtown Waverly tonight.

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

Very impressive game by Jake Kretzer.

Tigers24
Freshman Team

Post by Tigers24 »

Kretzer had 34
Martin 23

Legg 33

Waverly out rebounded Piketon 39-21 i believe

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Tigers24 wrote:Kretzer had 34
Martin 23

Legg 33

Waverly out rebounded Piketon 39-21 i believe
Thanks Tigers24... Big time Players step up in Big Time games. Looks like the RedStreaks had a little more balance if Martin/Kretzer had 57 out of 67. Big time advantage on the boards for the Tigers as well. I would guess Turnovers must have been their achilles heel.

Tigers24
Freshman Team

Post by Tigers24 »

21 turnovers

41% from the line

Not gonna win with those! Although we had our chances

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Tigers24 wrote:21 turnovers

41% from the line

Not gonna win with those! Although we had our chances
As I figured. The turnover bug continues to haunt the Tigers. The Free Throw line has been a thorn in the side as well. Tigers have to be the best 1 win team in Ohio. After a tough 6 game stretch to start the season, they should get on a roll in the New Year.

Congrats to Coach Lisath and Piketon as they continue to rack up Wins. D3 is looking unbelivable in Southern Ohio.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Congrats to all the teams and congrats to the all-touney team that's a nice honor to get with all the talent that was displayed this year.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

All Tourney team consisted Legg (P) MVP, Kretzler(Wa), Helton (P), Thornsberry (Ea), Lightle (We)

teamworkwins
Riding the Bench

Post by teamworkwins »

Excellent game by both teams. Kretzer really stepped it up and played a really good game despite having a big target on his back by the defense. Legg made some big free throws to finish the game off. Another great championship game. On a side note, could someone tell me the rule for assistant coaches addressing the referees? I noticed assistant Legg go out on the floor to argue a call in front of the Piketon bench. Is this not a technical? No way should an assistant go out on the floor to question calls by the refs. May come back to bite Piketon in a close game in the future. I say let Coach Lisath take care of the questionable calls and the assistants do what they are there for (assist the coach). Also, congratulations to the all-tournament team (Lightle-Western, Thornsberry-Eastern, Kretzer-Waverly, Helton-Piketon and MVP Legg-Piketon).

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

A very good game by two very strong team tonight. A lot of credit goes to Waverly's coaches for having their players ready to break Piketon's press as well as play amazing defense in the 1-3-1.

Waverly's kids played much better tonight and really did a much better job taking care of the ball. Piketon his some big 3s all night long. I would guess they hit 8+. In the end those treys probably were the difference in the game.

Congrats to all 4 teams and their fans for a well played tournament!

BIF
Waterboy

Post by BIF »

I think Coach Legg was on the floor to attend to an injured player (Vulgamore) and said something to the ref while he was out there.

Joesouth
Riding the Bench

Post by Joesouth »

First off that was a heck of a game Jake and Evan were both men tonight for both teams. Evan had clutch free throws when needed and Jake was clutch taking the ball to the basket. Both teams left it all out on the floor. Waverly has got to be the best one win team around just keep playing like you did tonight and you will win more than you lose the rest of the way.
As for coach Legg on the floor I think he was trying to get the license plate of the truck that had just ran over Jared. Traffic was extremely heavy tonight. Talking to the ref about the call I don't know I couldn't hear what was said maybe he wanted to see if his player was ok.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Player laying on the floor not moving, I think it is his job to come on floor to attend. He asked what the call was on way off floor. Legg is a class guy dont make more of it. What I didnt like is the Eastern and Western Fans once again sitting in the bottom of the gym refusing to move again this year.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

I want to say Waverly played exactly like we thought they'd play against our Streaks tonight. Kretzer is a D-1 talent, Martin is a great player himself. On top of that, they're playing at home in their own tourney. So for all you who was calling for a 20+ point win, thanks...but a 1 pt win is just as good-- all count in W column. Waverly played well; but thinking this team would be a pushover is absurd. They are the better than their record.

With that being said, Piketon was in foul trouble which helped Waverly in third quarter. Piketon never trailed, and made the plays down the stretch. If Piketon makes their FT's , perhaps the gap couldve been larger. Great win for the streaks completing the sweep...Frosh, JV, and Varsity over Waverly! Go Streaks! Piketon is the 2010 Pike County Holiday Tourney Champions!

As for Coach Legg on floor, the ref waived him onto the court so he was allowed to be there.

teamworkwins
Riding the Bench

Post by teamworkwins »

Sorry if I misunderstood what was going on with assistant Legg and the ref. Thanks for clearing that up. But I have seen assistants in the past get technicals for questioning calls even from the bench. Just something to think about in the future. Piketon's assistants are quite active over there. Not a big deal.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Coach Kelley wrote:I want to say Waverly played exactly like we thought they'd play against our Streaks tonight. Kretzer is a D-1 talent, Martin is a great player himself. On top of that, they're playing at home in their own tourney. So for all you who was calling for a 20+ point win, thanks...but a 1 pt win is just as good-- all count in W column. Waverly played well; but thinking this team would be a pushover is absurd. They are the better than their record.

With that being said, Piketon was in foul trouble which helped Waverly in third quarter. Piketon never trailed, and made the plays down the stretch. If Piketon makes their FT's , perhaps the gap couldve been larger. Great win for the streaks completing the sweep...Frosh, JV, and Varsity over Waverly! Go Streaks! Piketon is the 2010 Pike County Holiday Tourney Champions!

As for Coach Legg on floor, the ref waived him onto the court so he was allowed to be there.
This has been a Pike County tournament a long time before you showed up. Talk about missed free throws, Waverly leads the game in that category. I think Piketon fans found out they have room for improvement and not to make reservations for the State quite yet. You just beat a 1-5 team by one point on their floor in their own tourney.

Joesouth
Riding the Bench

Post by Joesouth »

Big game and big emotions sometimes we forget the coaches get just excited as the players.

Joesouth
Riding the Bench

Post by Joesouth »

Easy now! I don't think anyone was making reservations for the state just yet I'm sure there are a few teams that may have something to say about that.

Return to “Boys Basketball”