SEOP

Re: Pike County Holiday Classic

Post by Hoggy »

Eastern ---3-1

Minford 44 at Eastern 57
Eastern 60 at Valley 94
Eastern 95 at Western 42
Eastern 62 at Notre Dame 54

On the year Eastern is averaging 68 points per game while allowing 58 points per game. The Eagles come in the tourney looking to make a statement and show they are deserving of playing for the title, but they are matched up against a talented Waverly team that is looking to get on the right track after a rough start to the season. I would have liked the Eagles chances against Waverly a little bit more if Waverly was not win less, but they need to grab the Tiger by the tail and hang on…..this game will probably be the best game of the tourney!

Piketon ---7-0

Piketon 65 at McClain 28
Huntington 47 at Piketon 77
Westfall 33 at Piketon 71
Piketon 80 at Paint Valley 43
Piketon 69 at Columbus Mifflin 65
Piketon 78 at Adena 42
Southeastern 45 at Piketon 77

On the year Piketon is averaging 73 points per game while allowing a stingy 43 points per game. This year’s edition of the Streaks is very impressive and explosive. They get after it on both ends of the court and have the ability to rotate 8-10 players throughout the game. The Streaks have only been challenged once this year and came away from the hostile confines of Columbus Mifflin with a victory. The Streaks will be a tough challenge for any team they face and are my pick to win the title of Pike County Champions.

Waverly ---0-4

Waverly 56 at Washington Court House 61 (OT)
Waverly 41 at Valley 42
Waverly 68 at Wheelersburg 71 (OT)
Waverly 34 vs. Logan Elm 52

On the year Waverly is averaging 50 points per game and allowing 56 points per game. The Tigers could very well be 3-1 on the year and are a very dangerous team for anyone. You know the old saying about a wounded animal….well; these Tigers are wounded and hungry for their first victory of the year!

Western ---0-2

Eastern 95 at Western 42
Manchester 94 at Western 50

On the year Western is averaging 46 points per game and allowing 94 points per game. Western will definitely feel some bumps and bruises throughout the course of this year, but they will only get better as the year goes on. This group will play hard for four quarters and never quit, but they may be a little out gunned in this event and will more than likely experience a couple more defeats.

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

Could someone post a schedule for the tournament?

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I think Eastern is the d-4 version of Piketon very good players and about 8-9 deep they put tons of pressure on the ball for 32 min. Not as tall or as physical as piketon but can put 5 players on the floor capable of creating there own shot or getting one for a teamate very unselfish and even there bigs can break down a deffender off the dribble Waverly needs to be ready or Eastern will run them out of the gym they transition from deffense to offense like lightening.

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

Eastern- athletic,well coached,not very deep,guard play is a little shaky at times
western- Have not seen them,but from what i have read..... :122249
Waverly-surprised at the slow start, a lot better than everyone thinks, a guard short
Piketon(a little biased)-very explosive, very deep, very talented, one of the best coach, and staffs around.

Waverly Vs. Eastern- Waverly by 15, Waverly to much for the eagles late in the game.
Piketon Vs. Western- Piketon by as many as they want.

Consolation game-Eastern by as many as they want
Championship game-Piketon by 15, to much pressure for the tigers, legg has a big game!!

all tourny team-Legg mvp, vulgamore, thornsberry, and someone from western

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Now if you would have said waverly to much for eastern inside I could see that but you can not be serious about Easterns guards you must not have watched them this team is all guards and they are all very fast and very good they apply tremenous pressure on the ball and attack the paint nonstop there only weakness is they don't have tremenous size but the post players they do have are very skilled on the blocks and are all capable of rebounding the ball and takeing off dribbleing and starting the break . I'm a western supporter and a waverly grad and supporter but this game won't be 15 pts either way that being said I got eastern by 5 ! To many players for waverly to guard and from what I have seen "DOC" is waverlys only real guard and eastern has about 5 he has to beat on offense and guard on deffense I think he's got to get tired and when that happens Eastern will pull ahead. IMO

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Interesting matchup with Eastern and Waverly. Kelly will definately need help with the pressure which means Martin and Kretzer chipping in with the ball handling. Will Waverly pack it in and zone up the Eagles and force them to beat them from the outside. Will Eastern pressure full court and try to turn this into a track meet? Eastern will have to shoot well to win this game. They must control the defensive boards and limit Waverly to 1 shot per trip. Waverly will have to find someone other than the two mentioned to score in double digits. Good luck to both.

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

Sparky,
The Waverly Lady Tigers play all thier home games up at the new school. The Boys' team plays downtown. I'm not 100% why it is that way, but since the new school has been in opertaion that is the way it has been. I had heard some of the girls didn't like the idea of sharing their locker room with visiting boys teams downtown, but that may just be rumor mill chatter. Their are many locker rooms up at the new school.

Now when you get into tournament play ALL tournament games are downtown boys sectional and girls district. Just the way it is.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Not much discussion about the tourney this year. Either there aren't as many posters on this Site as compared to last year or people are scared to make any predictions in attempts to avoid eating any Crow. Don't worry though, I have a good recipe for the bird that makes it a little more appealing.

Someone please hand out some leaflets for SEOP during the event.....we need some activity on here. LOL

TripleDouble
JV Team

Post by TripleDouble »

What time does the first game start? And are their any injuries or are all the teams healthy and ready for the tourney?

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Why has Western only played 2 games?

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

They had anouther scheduales against Clay but it got snowed out last week

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

7 hours to tip off!

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

Go Streaks!

junedawg14
Riding the Bench

Post by junedawg14 »

Who plays first and what time is tip-off? How much are tickets this year?

LIGHTSOUT
Riding the Bench

Post by LIGHTSOUT »

I'm pretty sure the first game is Western vs. Piketon at 6:00, not sure of ticket price.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Good luck to all schools and I hope for an accident and incident free event.

The Indians are putting on their war paint and the Latham battle drums are being pounded as they prepare to do battle with the Streaks from the Village of Piketon. The Streaks have been leaving a path of destruction and taking no prisoners this year as they have destroyed all opponents that have encountered them on the hardwood. The Indians may need to pray to the Sioux war Gods for some help in this one as this has no indication of resulting like the Battle of Little Big Horn and the Streaks are not the 7th Cavalry.
Prediction:The Streaks light up the score board into triple digits and ruthlessly destroy the Indians from Latham. Piketon 103 / Western 52.

The Waverly Tigers are licking their wounds and finding the comforts of being in their own Jungle. The Tigers are hungry for their first victory and have their keen sight set on the Eagles flying in from the Eastern part of the county. The Tigers need to be cautious and not be too over zealous in their attack as the Eagles have sharpened their Talons and enjoy the taste of fresh meat. This one should be a slobber knocker and an action packed game full of momentum swings for the fans of Pike County to enjoy.
Prediction: At the risk of eating some Crow, I am going to say that the Eagles find a way to keep the Tigers win less and come out on top. Eastern 65 / Waverly 63.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Hoggy, things slow around camp! lol Nice intro there. I believe that Western is 1 of only 2 teams that the Streaks have scored 100 plus against. I think 3 times Piketon and Western have went over the century mark. I remember 1 game was 102 to 100 Western over Piketon in the late 60's. I believe this is one of the highest combined scoring game in state history.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

JT,

How are you doing partner? Yes sir...things are extremely slow around here. We are on Holiday schedule until 04 January and the weather is crappy. LOL.....my boredom is that apparent huh?

Unless Coach L slows the offensive slaughter down, the Streaks can easily put 100 points on the boards against Western. The two teams that they have faced have hung 94 and 95 points on them.

You are correct about the game with Piketon and Western being the record books (#33 - 202 Latham Western (102) vs. Piketon (100) (1969-1970) & the boys from Beaver are there as well (#29 - 204 Beaver Eastern (103) vs. Cheshire River Valley (101) OT (12/03/2005). http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/records/bbkrecrd.htm#3PFGG
Last edited by Hoggy on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry Bird
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Bird »

Go Eagles!!

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I am doing fine, also enjoying the down time of the holidays! lol Did I see where you are stationed in Washington? How many years you got in 15 or so?

Return to “Boys Basketball”