12-14 Vinton Co. @ Athens

hawkeyepierce
S

Re: 12-14 Vinton Co. @ Athens

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I blame all losses on ex-assistant coach Chris Eldridge. After all, since he has left, the program has been in a downward spiral. Just ask him, it was his Jedi-like knowledge of basketball that allow Coach Combs to succeed. I am just saying.

hardwoodheroes
Freshman Team

Post by hardwoodheroes »

Vinton County held a 13 point lead entering the fourth quarter and withstood a furious Athens comeback attempt to win 61-59 in overtime tonight.

After Levi Lawhead gave the Vikings the lead with under five seconds left in regulation, Trey Harris tied it as the buzzer sounded to send the game to an extra frame. After Athens scored the first four points of the overtime period, Jason Wiseman's shot with 2.8 seconds left won it for Vinton County. Watch all the exciting action on the Hardwood Heroes Game Recap

http://woub.org/tv/index.php?section=5&page=989 ...Hardwood Heroes recap page

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

Just how weak is the TVC this year?

Power 105
All Conference

Post by Power 105 »

To relive this game, be sure to tune into the "Sports Fan Presented by J&K Contracting" tonight from 6:06-7 on 970 WATH-AM in Athens. During our second half hour, we will replay Brian Boesch and Mark Hunter's call of the late stages of the fourth quarter and the entire overtime period.

To access the program online, go to http://athensi.com and click on the WATH AM link on the page's right side. A podcast will also be available at http://thesportsfan.mypodcast.com sometime early Thursday morning.

Thanks, and good luck to both teams the rest of the season!

The Razor
Riding the Bench

Post by The Razor »

Run Bubba Run wrote: I just looked up Combs' record here at VC. Over-all regular season record is 150-55 (.732)
Have you seen how weak his non-league schedule is? Who wouldn't have that kind of record coaching at a D2 school and playing a bunch of D4 opponents! Combs has been loaded with talent every year since arriving at VC. Royster would have accomplished much more given the same talent.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Forget about VC, what is going on with Athens? 19-1 last year, 1-3 to start this season.

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

Heavy D wrote:Forget about VC, what is going on with Athens? 19-1 last year, 1-3 to start this season.
No one is panicking in Athens. We'll get back to you on your question at the end of the season.

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

Thought I posted this once, but must have hit the wrong key.

I just watched the hardwood heroes video and if you pause it when the Athens player shoots the ball to tie the game in regulation, you will see that the ball is still nestled in his hand when the scoreboard shows all zeroes.

The game should have never gone to OT.

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

Run Bubba Run, I noticed that too. However, it's extremely close, so it would be hard to fault the officials. In fact, if I were an official I would rather err on the side of letting it count and being wrong than waving it off and being wrong. At least the teams get a chance to play on further to decide the game with the former error. With the latter the game is over.

Obviously it's best to be RIGHT, not wrong. But I can understand, in a situation as close as that one, leaning toward the decision that lets the teams play on.

A similar thing happens all the time in baseball. Every umpire will tell you there is no such thing as a tie on an infield play to first base. However, 90% of the time when the ball and runner hit at the exact same time, the umpire will give it to the runner. I guess they figure it's better to err on the side of the offense, which makes sense to me.

viking4life
Riding the Bench

Post by viking4life »

LMAO YEA RAZOR COMBS HAS BEEN HORRIBLE LMAO....I GUESS YOU SHOULD KNOW THE FACTS BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND ITS VERY CLEAR YOU DONT HAVE A DAM CLUE WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT..IM SURE UR JUST A DISAPPOINTED BULLDOGS FAN!!!! ANYHOW JUST LOOK UP COMBS RECORDS AT VC HECK EVEN R.B.R POSTED SOME OF THEM FOR YA. SO IF YOU WOULD FIRE A COACH WITH THAT RECORD YOU PROBLEY HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT SPORTS. MAN I HOPE COMBS MAKES IT THRU SEASON!!! RAZOR CAN YOU SEND YOUR RESUME IN IM SURE WE ALL LIKE SEE UR STATS AFTER A COMMENT LIKE THAT ABOUT A PROVEN COACH...VC MIGHT WANT YOU!!!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I think Razor is from the Vinton area viking4life ... Or at least somewhere down in those parts ... Looks to me as if he/she has some resentment toward Coach Combs for some reason or another.

I personally think Coach Combs does an outstanding job ... Taking the Vikings to the Convo (going all the way back to 2003) is a very hard task to accomplish in a D-II sectional that boasts some pretty tough teams.

viking4life
Riding the Bench

Post by viking4life »

Yea your right 93bulldog I know he is from vc you are right!!
Last edited by viking4life on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

The Razor wrote:How did they blow a lead like that? It just boils down to coaching. Listen, this experiment with Combs has run its course. It was nice of VC to give him the opportunity, but it obviously isn't working out. Time to move in a new direction. Maybe they could get John Royster to take over.
Where, oh where to start...... first off, its still fairly early in the season and both of these teams have alot to live up this early on for a game of this significance. A coach cannot control his players emotions and jitters. Secondly, IMO, John Royster would be a great coach and every kid I ever talked to that played for him thinks the world of him. Thirdly, and most importantly, knowing full well that we are supposed to act like civilized adults on here...... You have proven, in one single post, that you dont know jack squat.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Asking - or making statements - about replacing a Coach like Matt Combs reminds me of the ridiculus Ohio State fans who call for Jim Tressel's job. I mean seriously - guys who 'KNOW HOW TO WIN & GET THE JOB DONE' do not grow on tree's.

I'll agree that VC has been blessed with some pretty good players - but talent alone DID NOT get the Vikings to the Convo ... Warren has had a lot of talent, Sheridan has brought teams to the Logan sectional with (16-4, 15-5) type records, Fairfield Union is so slouch, Gallia Academy had some teams' around 2002, 2003, 2004 with Donnie Johnson and co. that were really, really good ... and the last few years that sectional has also included Logan Elm (One of the better teams in all of Southeastern Ohio) ... Heck, I havn't even mentioned Athens, Marietta, New Lex & Meigs use to be in the D-II sectional before they dropped to D-III.

NONE OF THOSE TEAMS ABOVE HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SUCCESS VINTON COUNTY HAS HAD SINCE 2002 - not only in the sectional tournament but the Convo and District Tournament as well. Had it not been for Danta Jackson and Greenfield McClain - We would be talking about Regional Tournament success too.

The Razor
Riding the Bench

Post by The Razor »

93Bulldog wrote: Had it not been for Danta Jackson and Greenfield McClain - We would be talking about Regional Tournament success too.
Or if a "John Royster type coach" had coached VC the last 10 years we would be talking about regional tournament success. VC has had state tournament type talent, but have lacked the coaching. It's time to right the wrong and get someone who knows what they're doing in there!

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

Thank the Lord some others chipped in and jumped on The Razor. Thanks for the back-up viking4life and space cowboy. I think we could have used you on the outside cowboy (if you are who I think you are). He has been smoking to much of something I think.

diamondD1, I know it was close at the buzzer, but the ball was still in the boy's palm when it said all zeroes. Life is tough for refs, I agree.

The Vikes will meet them again at home on Jan 28. Should be a good one for sure.

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

Razor,

Thanks for your thoughts. I think John Royster did a great job at VC, but I think even he would recognize a pinhead like you when he sees the things you put in your comments.

Just out of curiosity, you stated you were glad your team didn't have to play VC in the VC gym every year so you probably do not root for a TVC Ohio team. Who do you root for in the HS basketball scene here in SE Ohio?

Oh, perhaps you want to continue as an anonymous scribe so no one can figure out who you might be.

You are certainly a piece of work.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Didn't these kids for Athens finish 19-1 last year on the JV team? Now they're 1-3. Hopefully someone can right the ship.

Pound
Waterboy

Post by Pound »

They might have been 18-2 last year since VC's JV went 20-0.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Thanks my bad, but their still 1-3 now.

Return to “Boys Basketball”