JV Team

Re: Clay 2010-11

Post by halftime »

The foundation game is back on!

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

That's good the hear halftime. They play Oak Hill in a scrimmage this Saturday. I watched some practice and if they play like a team and share the ball they will be tough to beat. Delotell, Valentine, Bussler, Burchett and all drive and score, Graham and Porter will probably shared time underneath, with Burchett also playing under. Opponents won't be able to double up on any one player.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Was told that the scrimmage aginst Oak Hill (who were missing their starters to football) and Huntington Ross went okay. Still too many turnovers, especially on cross court passes. Next Wednesday the boys go to Leesburg and then next Saturday they have their foundation game against Huntington Ross at 6pm JV and Varsity. That will be our first real look. They beat Huntington today at scrimmage.

TripleDouble
JV Team

Post by TripleDouble »

Sounds like what has plagued them the past couple years is rearing its head again with turnovers. If they can manage to cut them down, they should have a really good season this year. They should be fighting it out for the soc crown this year. The team is surrounded with talent, if they can limit their turnovers and find a way to take care of the ball they will be a tough out.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Heard that Clay one 6 of 7 quarters in scrimmage last night at Leesburg, only losing the first one because they had 2 minutes of warm up. Not sure what Leesburg-Fairfield or Unioto has this year, but hopefully that is a sign of things to come. Saturday nights Foundation game against Huntington Ross will be their first real test.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Clay won both their foundation games over Huntington Ross. Varsity won 54 to 49 but had a 13 point lead with 6 minutes. HHS made a nice run at the end, their big man was unstoppable in the last 4 minutes. Clay still needs to work on an inbounds play, took 2 five second calls and threw away the ball twice to avoid them. They also need to work on their press break and, of course, turnovers, but these have plagued them for the past three years.
On the plus side, they had very balanced scoring with the 4 starting seniors scoring 13, 12, 11 and 8. The big men only had 2 points each.
They play the Burg at 8:20 next Friday at the SOC previews and open with Northwest the following friday at NW. Good luck Panthers.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

about the post game though i only seen them throw the ball once into grahm down in the post so how are they suppose to score down low if they arent getting any post touches and the same wit porter too

Livin LRG
Riding the Bench

Post by Livin LRG »

claypantherfan wrote:about the post game though i only seen them throw the ball once into grahm down in the post so how are they suppose to score down low if they arent getting any post touches and the same wit porter too
Yes you are very right, Graham and Porter didnt gt hardly any touches, but Graham got in foul trouble real early, and hado sit pretty much the entire first half. Porter did nice job tho, even though their big man was on fire porter did his share of rebounding and defending. their offense will come as the year goes on, this is only the teams 3rd week together.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Graham had two fouls in the first two minutes. HHS did a good job denying the ball inside and Clay took the game outside. I think the big guys will get their chances when teams decided to come out and guard the perimeter more.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Good win by Clay over an SVC school.

Dean
Freshman Team

Post by Dean »

The post players do not, at this time, work hard enough inside to deserve a post pass. Sure they need to get touches, but the perimeter players cannot force the ball inside if the bigs are not open.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Clay look really good tonight against the Burg in the previews. I thought several of them looked like they were sick and or really tired. It looked to me like most of the other SOC I squads are really down this year. This should be Clay's year to take the conference.

Return to “Boys Basketball”