IS WELLSTON JOB OPEN?

Downtown
Freshman Team

Re: IS WELLSTON JOB OPEN?

Post by Downtown »

He will be stalking the sidelines wondering where all his wins are at....Mybe 3-17 this year with two wins against Meigs and one against Hannan.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Just so we can be objective about this topic ......How many years has Jim Derrow been coaching the varsity program at Wellston? What is his combined record in those seasons? How many TVC titles, sectional, district, and regional appearances have his team's had? Has he ever been linked to any improprieties, suspension, or sanctions from the OHSAA? You really need to not only look at his tenure, but the past five year history to draw a conclusion to what is best for the kids.

I just heard about this posting and think it will be real interesting to see how this whole thing unfolds. Why would Wellston post this job if they weren't looking to "go in a different direction", yet several Wellston fans apparently think this just another "misunderstanding."

Nothing out of the Wellston District would surprise me........

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Unfortunately, coaches are remembered for what they do lately. Think of Bobby Knight and Jerry Tarkanian. What is their legacy? Chair throwing? Being in a Las Vegas hot tub with a noted connected sports handicapper? Despite winning 280 plus games in a 24 year period what will Coach Derrow be remember for? Estonians? OHSAA sanctions? I agree with Ty, I however believe that Wellston will make the change.

highspeed
Riding the Bench

Post by highspeed »

:122246 Ty and Hawkeye objective? Don't think so! (Ha!) They do not play Hannan.

Hoops Classic two games- Marion Catholic and Charleston Catholic
Big Blue Classic two games
@ Jackson
@ New Boston
Portsmouth East
@ Gund Arena vs Ironton St Joe
@ Rock Hill
Miller
10 TVC Ohio Division Games

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

How does Wellston have enough money to send their kids to Cleveland for a game?? By the way, its called Quicken Loans Arena...has been for 3 years now.

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

Wow!!! What a "beefy" schedule. You play East and New Boston and Miller??? Are you for sure you can win those games?? That's a nationally ranked schedule right there.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Unfortunately, coaches are remembered for what they do lately. Think of Bobby Knight and Jerry Tarkanian. What is their legacy? Chair throwing? Being in a Las Vegas hot tub with a noted connected sports handicapper? Despite winning 280 plus games in a 24 year period what will Coach Derrow be remember for? Estonians? OHSAA sanctions? I agree with Ty, I however believe that Wellston will make the change.

Bobby Knight never was sanctioned. This particular coach cannot say that. Also, Bo Knight won championships, this particular coach cannot say that. Not a good comparison. You want to compare Derrow to Tarkanian, probably a good comparison. However, he is no Bob Knight.

Solomon
Freshman Team

Post by Solomon »

Are you kidding me, high school teams are paid appearence fees? Cin Moller and ASVSM get money for playing in wellston? If so what about Jackson, Athens, or pike Eastern? I know i am old but is this the sign of the times?

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

Derrow has had teams that had success but it seems that the Wellston sports program as a whole has been down over the last decade. Thats not a comment meant as a slam but one coming from someone that remembers Wellston being a tough rival from football to track. If the talent isn't there, then i question your youth rec program. If it is there (as i suspect) then i question your coaching. Wellston should be fighting for the TVC crown in every sport.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

85inside wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:Unfortunately, coaches are remembered for what they do lately. Think of Bobby Knight and Jerry Tarkanian. What is their legacy? Chair throwing? Being in a Las Vegas hot tub with a noted connected sports handicapper? Despite winning 280 plus games in a 24 year period what will Coach Derrow be remember for? Estonians? OHSAA sanctions? I agree with Ty, I however believe that Wellston will make the change.

Bobby Knight never was sanctioned. This particular coach cannot say that. Also, Bo Knight won championships, this particular coach cannot say that. Not a good comparison. You want to compare Derrow to Tarkanian, probably a good comparison. However, he is no Bob Knight.

You are correct about Coach Bob Knight, I am a Bob Knight fan. However, what do you think of when people mention his name? Unfortunately, it is not the three national championships. It is his rude, crass, offensive behavior that has gotten him fired (not sanctioned) but fired. His legacy is not his wins but his behavior. That is where I was drawing the comparison.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Solomon wrote:Are you kidding me, high school teams are paid appearence fees? Cin Moller and ASVSM get money for playing in wellston? If so what about Jackson, Athens, or pike Eastern? I know i am old but is this the sign of the times?

There's nothing illegal or wrong with Wellston City Schools offering money to any team that would participate in the National Hoops Classic, that's how you bring in big name programs. I had just heard that both Akron Saint Vincent and Cincinnati Moeller hadn't yet been paid, but I highly doubt that all the teams that played got any fees.

Inside word is that there might have been a miscue with how Wellston's administration went about posting this job. In that case, Derrow will be back. Otherwise, maybe they've got their ducks lined up and a new regime awaits.

Should be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out. Derrow is like a cat.......he's got 9+ lives.

Kenny Bixx
Freshman Team

Post by Kenny Bixx »

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Logan's Job's is open! Might be an improvment!

AndyDufresne
Waterboy

Post by AndyDufresne »

Great stuff highspeed!
Last edited by AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hardhitter ll
Varsity

Post by hardhitter ll »

^^^ Leave Meigs out of this argument. :lol:

highspeed
Riding the Bench

Post by highspeed »

Andy - i don't believe thats exactly how I phrased it but it was pretty funny with some of the stuff you added. Maybe I will let you be write my quotes for me.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Kenny Bixx wrote:nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Did you spill your beer again?

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

I heard today that they're gonna start interviewing candidates tomorrow night. I guess at least three have applied and none of them are Jim Derrow. Is this really true or just a big misunderstanding?

thebearupthere34
Freshman Team

Post by thebearupthere34 »

When I talked to Derrow about a month ago he said he was coming back and it was a simple misunderstanding from the school to him. I know state law does show they are suppose to open the job every year but if these rumors are true the guy will have the weirdest 2 year run of any coach lol.

Im All In
Waterboy

Post by Im All In »

Any news lately on the coaching situation?

Return to “Boys Basketball”