Portsmouth Trojans (21-5) (10-2) 2010-2011

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2010-2011

Post by smurray »

Is Whitley enrolled at Portsmouth or just talk?

El Ray
Riding the Bench

Post by El Ray »

Did Bendolph kill somebody or are we just trying to decide if he can play basketball? It shouldn't take this long to make a decision. Why doesn't someone call Dan Ross and the OHSAA and tell them to get a clue! What a joke.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

People are blaming the OHSAA for not making a ruling but why would anyone expect Bendolph to be eligible? Unless his family moved to Burg and then moved back to Portsmouth he is not eligible to play. Everyone knows the rules.

PEAKE POWER
Freshman Team

Post by PEAKE POWER »

The OHSAA needs to hurry up and make a ruling before Bendolph moves again.

El Ray
Riding the Bench

Post by El Ray »

Eligible or not eligible it is not that hard. A decision should have been made either way. My thinking is that they still may allow him to play because if the answer was no they would have already made that determination. I am taking it as we are still think about it but the season may be over before they make their decision... I guess there is no such thing as a right to a speedy trial with the OHSAA

Don't blame the OHSAA for taking their time on making a ruling? That is what they get paid to do. That is what they are there for... Get Ur Done!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

smurray: Zaide has enrolled at Portsmouth High School and in fact I saw him last night at the Ironton--Portsmouth football game.

I agree with all those who believe the OHSAA has had enough time to make a decision......the next board meeting is Dec.9th which is after basketball season begins........Will they make a final decision before then? Will the Bendolph family stay in Portsmouth waiting for that decision? If his eligibility is not restored, what are his family's options then? Can't the OHSAA make a conference call on the matter without having to wait until Dec.9th?.........the NFL does business with conference calls, why can't the OHSAA do the same?

A lot of possibilities and questions about this, but I don't have a clue as to how it's going to turn out........but I do know this........basketball season is getting very close and the OHSAA has had virtually the entire football season to decide this case.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

OHSAA, is focused in on counting all the money they are gooing to make ON football playoffs at this time,and ONLY THAT!

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

biggdowgg wrote:OHSAA, is focused in on counting all the money they are gooing to make ON football playoffs at this time,and ONLY THAT!
Exactly what I was thinking all the way up here in Pa!

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

This tournament will let us know where we are early. If we can have a strong showing against that level of competition we should be set for a great season. I think we have the kids to compete, but with schools 5 times bigger then you, it’s hard t say. We can each only play 5 at a time, and I think our first 7 or so can play with just about anyone, it’s what happens when their 8,9, and 10 are just as good as our first 5.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

TrojanFBAlum: You make some very good points with your post.......I also believe that we have the kids to compete with these teams........having watched a lot of D1 basketball in Ohio over the last several decades, including the state tournament, one thing that D1 schools most generally have that smaller schools don't is DEPTH........the Trojans should be able to rotate 7-8 players effectively this year, but in the case of some D1 schools they can play 10 guys and the 9th/10th man still gives good minutes........this is very important in the case of fatigue or foul trouble.

Portsmouth will have a talented team, but the one area of concern is depth on the frontline......right now, I see only Mason Jordan as a suitable option to sub for Tre Underwood or Dion McKinley, whereas we have a little more depth at guard, with Wayne Evans, Zaide Whitley, Seth Bratchett, Lenny Collins, L.J.Adams, and Duke Edwards.....(possibly Andrew Bendolph......if he plays, PHS could rotate at least 9 players)

To beat these teams in Florida, I think it's imperative for the Trojans to stay out of early foul trouble.......I believe our kids will be in shape, but if we encounter a team that likes to play all out full court press, and plays 9-10 players, that will be a concern, but I also believe we can have good enough ballhandlers to get some easy baskets off a press.

The one school in our area that has the depth of a D1 school is Ironton.......Coach Lafon should be able to rotate 9-10 players with no problem, so teams had better get used to the Fighting Tigers using the whole 94 feet of hardwood.

We don't have the depth of Ironton, but I like our 7-8 man rotation........ultimately what success the Trojans will have this year will begin and end on the DEFENSIVE side of the court.......if we defend we could have a very successful year, if we don't, we will underachieve compared to the talent that we have........I have confidence that Coach Collins will get our Trojans to D up this year.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Went to open gym last night and about 30 kids showed up........Zaide Whitley was there also, and the boot was taken off his leg yesterday.......he is currently in rehab and should be available to practice in 2-3 weeks.......he definitely looks 6-1 (I am 6-0, and he looks an inch taller than me)........and he has muscled up quite a bit. Although he will miss quite a bit of practice, Zaide will be ready to go in the opener vs. South Webster.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Andrew Bendolph is still at Portsmouth High School, still going to open gym, and is still residing in Portsmouth........with all this and from a passing comment I heard yesterday, something tells me that he just might end up playing for the Trojans after all.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

TJ, sure hope your feelings are good....wipalawalt

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

bendolph should have lost a year of eligibility last year. the point of the new rules is for players like him. i still stand by my solution. you should have to live in the district to play ball there. allow open enrollment for educational reasons but sports require firm residence restrictions.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

RxBurgFan wrote:bendolph should have lost a year of eligibility last year. the point of the new rules is for players like him. i still stand by my solution. you should have to live in the district to play ball there. allow open enrollment for educational reasons but sports require firm residence restrictions.
This is a great post...in Arizona we have the so called open enrollment and some of the very large and very good sports schools are now being accused of recruiting,,true or not it is out there...some very respected coachs have had to defend their programs to other districts and the media..AZ does our leagues by school enrollment size..not by a league you would like to be in..this helps smaller schools to be able to compete for championships in what we call Regions (another name for league) but it works....hope OHSAA gets off their high horse and tell this young man, yes or no,,but tell him.....wipalawalt

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans will scrimmage at Fairland this Friday (Nov.12), beginning around 6 PM. I will post the rest of the scrimmage schedule when I find it out.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

FWIW --my son transferred using open enrollment to W-burg his Jr year. He was a mid level tennis player, no ringer , but not bad. The AD at Burg was adamant that he had to set out a year . our residence was portsmouth and that never changed. We tryed every loophole but the AD was adamant that even the spirit of the law was going to be followed. He did miss playing that year. So I can attest to Scioto co. that the AD at Burg follows the rules even if others don't. (not making any judgements on AB --nice kid I hope he is legal to play) MD

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Here is Portsmouth's official schedule in the KSA Holiday Classic in Orlando, Florida Dec.27-30:
2009-2010 records of opponents and class size (OHSAA equivalent).......games are played on several courts at the HP Fieldhouse.

Monday, Dec.27 Portsmouth vs. Pace, Florida (20-8, D1)
If the Trojans win, they will play the winner of Los Alamitos, Calif (23-7, D1) vs. Melbourne, Florida (14-10, D1)........second round game will be Wed.Dec 29 at 8:45 AM

If the Trojans lose vs. Pace, they will play the loser of the Los Alamitos/Melbourne game on Wed.Dec.29 at 8:45 AM

If Portsmouth wins its first two games, then a championship game will be played on Thurs.Dec 30 at 12:15 PM vs. the double winner of the other bracket......teams are listed below.

If Portsmouth loses its first two games, they will play a third and final game on Thurs.Dec.30 vs. the double loser of the other bracket.....teams are listed below. That game will be for 7th place.

If Portsmouth wins the first game, and loses the second game, a third and final game will be played on Thurs.Dec 30 at 12:30 PM.......this will be for 3rd place in the tournament.

If Portsmouth loses the first game, and wins the second game, a third and final game will be played for 5th place on Thurs.Dec 30 at 12:15 PM

Teams in the other bracket are: Spanish River, FL (17-8, D1), James Garfield, CA (15-6, D1), Tottenville, NY (11-10, D1) and Freedom, FL (13-15, D1......previously posted as Freedom of PA as listed in the original roster of teams). Freedom, FL is listed as a 6A school (largest class).
Last edited by trojandave on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth's varsity roster:

Tre Underwood 6-4 12
Dion McKinley 6-5 11
Wayne Evans 6-1 11
Zaide Whitley 6-1 11
Seth Bratchett 6-0 11
Lenny Colllins 5-9 11
L.J. Adams 5-9 11
Mason Jordan 6-3 11
Trevor Brown 6-3 11