TVC-Ohio 2010-2011

hawkeyepierce
S

Re: TVC-Ohio 2010-2011

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Actually Solomon, it was five points, a two point loss at home and a three point loss at McAfee. However, you are right, the Vikings were 5 of 13 from the line in the fourth at McAfee, while Colin Pfaff was 7 of 7 himself from the charity stripe on his way to scoring 17 points in the quarter. Pfaff has killed the Vikings for the last two years and he graduates this spring. I, myself, might send him a congratulations card with a few bucks in it for his graduation just in case he thinks of returning.

Coach Skinner
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Skinner »

Isn't it great to have a new rival Hawkeye old buddy. Next season will be interesting.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

VIKED_MAN wrote:
popcorn phil wrote:Juniors on a great JV team dont make good Varsity starters. athens had primarily freshmen and soph on their JV team. They should grow and mature into much better players. just a fact.

The two juniors that started for Vinton County's JV team would have started for most any varsity in both TVC's/cept maybe Athens, and would have started or played several minutes on some SEOAL teams. VC could very well start 2 seniors, 2 juniors, and a sophmore at times next year. For the most part VC will start 4 seniors and a junior. I look for this years freshman player Bryce Owings to join L.B. Remy, and play a lot of varsity basketball if not start some varsity games next season. I dont look for him to split time on Jv. He is talented enough to go straight from freshman to varsity.
VC could be senior dominate next year, and have the best young talent in TVC Ohio; plus for sure the the best coach :-D

GO VIKES

not taking sides here but just want to add my $0.02 on the topic.... i dont see any problem of juniors playing on jv team if they can move to varsity and contribute as seniors. with that being said.... to say they could have started on all these tvc and seoal teams is a little stretch. if they were good enough to start for all these teams i would think they would have at least been in top 7-8 player rotation at vc. with that being said..... if they were that good and couldnt make the rotation at vc... vc varsity basketball must have underacheived this past season... just my opinion

Solomon
Freshman Team

Post by Solomon »

thanks hawk for clearing that up. i still think the Vc will be the ones to beat.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Coach Skinner wrote:Isn't it great to have a new rival Hawkeye old buddy. Next season will be interesting.

Hey Coach! And yes. I will see you around this summer.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

theassassin wrote:
VIKED_MAN wrote:
popcorn phil wrote:Juniors on a great JV team dont make good Varsity starters. athens had primarily freshmen and soph on their JV team. They should grow and mature into much better players. just a fact.

The two juniors that started for Vinton County's JV team would have started for most any varsity in both TVC's/cept maybe Athens, and would have started or played several minutes on some SEOAL teams. VC could very well start 2 seniors, 2 juniors, and a sophmore at times next year. For the most part VC will start 4 seniors and a junior. I look for this years freshman player Bryce Owings to join L.B. Remy, and play a lot of varsity basketball if not start some varsity games next season. I dont look for him to split time on Jv. He is talented enough to go straight from freshman to varsity.
VC could be senior dominate next year, and have the best young talent in TVC Ohio; plus for sure the the best coach :-D

GO VIKES

not taking sides here but just want to add my $0.02 on the topic.... i dont see any problem of juniors playing on jv team if they can move to varsity and contribute as seniors. with that being said.... to say they could have started on all these tvc and seoal teams is a little stretch. if they were good enough to start for all these teams i would think they would have at least been in top 7-8 player rotation at vc. with that being said..... if they were that good and couldnt make the rotation at vc... vc varsity basketball must have underacheived this past season... just my opinion

VC varsity did under-achieve last season.
If Justin and Bobby sit the bench on varsity, and Ryan Chesser as far as that goes, they lose valuable playing time. They would have started for teams like Meigs, Wellston, Miller....etc. Your 2 cents worth was well noticed. There were 3-4 players on VC's JV that could have played varsity on a lot of other teams, that's just my 2 cents worth. Other people don't want to face the facts; Vinton County boy's basketball is well and kicking.
Some of the younger ones are leaving for other schools. A great one in Jordan Kidd freshman went to Fostoria, 8th grader Logan Thompson went to Logan Elm, and another 8th grader, Chad Taborn, that could be one of the best defensive players for the Vikings for years is mentioning going elsewhere to play high school. I coached all of these boys in 7th grade, and they will be heard from where ever they play. I wish them nothing but the best.
GO VIKES

justforfun
Waterboy

Post by justforfun »

viked_man maybe more 8th boy on the move

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

i agree assassin, its not like Vinton Co. had tons of amazing talent on the varsity and these juniors just couldnt get playing time. If they were good players they would have been up on the varsity. Im not saying these kids are bad players. I just dont see them stepping in, not missing a beat and winning the Ohio. I just dont see that happening. Now, if you had a couple of starters coming back and these kids just had to step in and play roles then that would be a different story but that is not the case here.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

popcorn phil wrote:i agree assassin, its not like Vinton Co. had tons of amazing talent on the varsity and these juniors just couldnt get playing time. If they were good players they would have been up on the varsity. Im not saying these kids are bad players. I just dont see them stepping in, not missing a beat and winning the Ohio. I just dont see that happening. Now, if you had a couple of starters coming back and these kids just had to step in and play roles then that would be a different story but that is not the case here.

Lawhead and Ward are returning...So theres your 'couple' starters.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

This reminds me of a couple of years ago. We graduated Dustin Guthrie, Ryan Stewart, Ben Batey, Andrew Eberts, and Micheal Dixon (all very good athletes) and the following year was to be a rebuilding year. There were prognosticators on this forum predicting the Vikings were finish third or worse. There were coaches on the radio being interviewed saying things like, "Obviously, Vinton County will be down," "The Vikings lost too much to compete," "It will be hard for Vinton County to dominate the way they have been," and so on. There was the Athens media, predicting the Vikings were rebuilding. What did Coach Combs and that 2009 class do? They rolled up their sleeves and went to work, they had a great summer that included wins over Columbus Brookhaven, DI Solon, and others. During the season, what did they do? Went onto win the TVC Championship (12-0) and a sectional championship and finished 18-4. So those outside of Vinton County keep talking, keep doubting us, while Coach Combs and the kids will just work, show up everyday and compete, and in the end, we will let the wins and losses speak for themselves. But like I said, I have heard this tune before.

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

different year, different group of kids, athens was not in the league a couple of years ago.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Yes they were. Vinton County beat them twice on their way to a third undefeated TVC season, 12-0.

http://vinton.k12.oh.us/sports/bbasket/ ... rypage.htm

As a matter of fact, Vinton County is 66-8 in the TVC since their first TVC Championship (2003-2004, seven seasons ago) of the Combs Era.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

Dundas wrote:
popcorn phil wrote:i agree assassin, its not like Vinton Co. had tons of amazing talent on the varsity and these juniors just couldnt get playing time. If they were good players they would have been up on the varsity. Im not saying these kids are bad players. I just dont see them stepping in, not missing a beat and winning the Ohio. I just dont see that happening. Now, if you had a couple of starters coming back and these kids just had to step in and play roles then that would be a different story but that is not the case here.

Lawhead and Ward are returning...So theres your 'couple' starters.

So true Dundas.
If Adam Ward has a year us Viking faithful know he can have, he could be MVP of the TVC Ohio.
Levi should be right there also. Add in the three from JV plus Batey, Remy, and the likes, and the Vikings will be there and a lot deeper bench than last season. Of course the great coaching will be there to guide them. The JV could have another undefeated season too. TIME WILL TELL!
GO VIKES

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I was just thinking.....most of the TVC Ohio teams have newer gymnasiums now. Nelsonville-York will open its newly rennovated Ben Wagner Gymnasium this fall. Alexander, Wellston and Vinton County have newer facilities. Athens has a nice facility. That just leaves Meigs.

Top to bottom, the TVC OHIO has some great facilities for basketball.

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

meigs is about to start rennovation on their gym as well.

WangoZTango
Freshman Team

Post by WangoZTango »

Belpre could use a rennovation...Is this why they left the Ohio?

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

They finally outlawed prohibition in belpre so maybe the people in that town are finally growing brains. Now maybe they will realize that their kids deserve better than the dump they go to school in now.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Oh wow, they finally can sell alcohol in Belpre now?!!?!?! I remember being at a party in Belpre back in 2002 and having to cross over to Parkersburg to get booze. Ah, memories.

CoyDuke
Freshman Team

Post by CoyDuke »

viked_man maybe more 8th boy on the move

A great one in Jordan Kidd freshman went to Fostoria, 8th grader Logan Thompson went to Logan Elm, and another 8th grader, Chad Taborn, that could be one of the best defensive players for the Vikings for years is mentioning going elsewhere to play high school. I coached all of these boys in 7th grade, and they will be heard from where ever they play. I wish them nothing but the best.

I realize that sometimes kids have to move due to family situations, jobs, custody agreements, etc....., and if that's the case it's understandable, but why would anybody who had any basketball talent at all right now leave a program like Vinton County. They win every year, they have an established, dynamic coaching staff, and they have a community that really loves basketball. What more could you ask for? I assume that players who leave by their own choice are doing so because they must not feel like they are good enough to get to play, or their parents think that someone is holding their future NBA star back from reaching his greatness. People should wake up. I know many student-athletes who would love to be a part of a program like that.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Vinton County is 66-8 in the TVC since their first TVC Championship (2003-2004, seven seasons ago) of the Combs Era.

Yep, that Coach Combs is pretty darn good. I wonder what his winning percentage is as a head coach in the TVC? He's gotta be up there as one of the best boys basketball coaches in the league.

Return to “Boys Basketball”