SEOPS H

Re: OHSAA asked to enter Public - Private Debate

Post by 1987chieftains »

HAWKEYE I AGREE WITH YOU 100 %!!

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

And you my friend Hawkeye, would have been a welcome addition sitting next to me in the statistics class i nearly failed in college.....

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

It sucks and is unfair but there is nothing we can do about it.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

I say we need to start a petition that would allow us to get Hawkeye a seat in the Public/Private debate with the OHSAA. :122249 :122249

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Thanks for the sentiments guys. And yes Spartan, statistics was my favorite subject in college. I have been paying attention to this subject for a long time and done some amateur research over the years. At one point, back in 2006 or 2007, a buddy of mine was saying there was no advantages in football between "private vs. public," which I told him to put the crack pipe down and just say no. Long story short, we made a bet, I did the research, found out at the time, just in high school football championship games, the record for "public vs. private" was 88-88-1. That is right, dead even. But again, the "private" schools were almost out-numbered 5 to 1, but yet they win just as many championships. Hmm? No advantages what so ever. So it led to other stuff, other conversations, and forum debates on here and that crappy other one. Well, needless to say, when my buddy and I are together, I drink and eat for free.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

hawkeyepierce: You do present some impressive stats.......but I presented the bottom line......regardless of what percentage private schools make up the total number of schools, public schools win most of the championships......THAT IS A FACT........AND THERE WILL ALWAYS BE MANY MORE PUBLIC SCHOOLS THAN PRIVATE ONES.......private schools would still win some championships no matter what percentage they make up.

The OHSAA isn't going to change anything as long as public schools are winning most of the championships.......debate on the issue is fine, though, that's the American way!!

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

You can bring this up all you want and discuss until you clog up the networks, but OHSAA is not going to do anything about it. I dont feel they have the backbone to step up and say enough is enough. Most of the people that think separation is stupid are the coachs and fans of the private schools winning the tournaments.

I see the problem as two fold not only the recruitment question, there is also a numbers question. Private schools have the ability to accept and reject possible students. Private schools do not have to accept anyone which enables them to keep their numbers down and particpate in lower divisions. Public schools have to accept every kid in their school district.

Kenny Bixx
Freshman Team

Post by Kenny Bixx »

catholi c schools cheat. bottom line

Purple&Yellow Pride
Freshman Team

Post by Purple&Yellow Pride »

Here at RACINE SOUTHERN - the home of the Racine Hustlin' Purple Tornadoes - we are proud of our teams that were "almost Champions". We are not in favor of any changes because it would dilute the accomplishments of winning a true state title or being a true runnerup as the case may be...

Purple&Yellow Pride
Freshman Team

Post by Purple&Yellow Pride »

Kenny Bixx wrote:catholi c schools cheat. bottom line

Pas the Blatz!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Assume that the OHSAA would decide to add a 5th division to basketball for private schools....then what happens?

All of the same kids that played AAU together that were going to the private school are going to pick a centrally located public school that has a coach that they like and find an address or relative in the district and go there via open enrollment. Nothing solved....

I agree that it is not fair, but adding another division would not solve the problem, but I don't know what would. It was sad the 2 years Wheelersburg was in the final 4 and our cheer block was full and to look at the other end and see 2-3 rows of kids in the opposing cheer block (VASJ and NCH).

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

4th n Goal wrote:Assume that the OHSAA would decide to add a 5th division to basketball for private schools....then what happens?

All of the same kids that played AAU together that were going to the private school are going to pick a centrally located public school that has a coach that they like and find an address or relative in the district and go there via open enrollment. Nothing solved....

I agree that it is not fair, but adding another division would not solve the problem, but I don't know what would. It was sad the 2 years Wheelersburg was in the final 4 and our cheer block was full and to look at the other end and see 2-3 rows of kids in the opposing cheer block (VASJ and NCH).

Hawkeye's percentages say it all! I would like to see a stat which would not be possible to get. But if you could see how many championships won by public schools that have been because of transfers in. The ones hear in SE Ohio recently have been obvious. Oak Hill, South Webster, Chillicothe and Alexander Volleyball. That is the one thing that has made public schools competitive with private. And "4th and goal" this is what happens already in the city leagues.....kids travel to the neighboring district just for a title. It's legal and happens. The difference between the city districts and ours here in rural ohio is distance and size of districts. The kids just don't move around the block, they have to change towns.

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

If there would be a new Division created, it would hurt our private schools like Ironton St. Joe, Sciotoville, Portsmouth Notre Dame and others. Most have small enrollments when compared to say, Columbus Afrocentric which is D3 this cycle in basketball but most of the time a D4. The real problem is the big city private schools who draw kids from the entire city.

Kenny Bixx
Freshman Team

Post by Kenny Bixx »

i drink ole milwaukee lite, pay days i drink miller high life, b cause i am livin the life.

Return to “Boys Basketball”