Ironton 69 Peebles 68 in 2OT

gotigers
Freshman Team

Re: Ironton 69 Peebles 68 in 2OT

Post by gotigers »

indiangirl wrote:While it's great to see students supporting their team, when it becomes rude and disrespectful, someone needs to take charge. I had no problem with either student section for most of the game; they added a lot of noise and energy to the game. And Ironton's is actually pretty entertaining. But at the end, when they shout "winners over here, and losers over there" and point to a group of kids who have just had their hearts broken, it just takes it too far. It's supposed to be "fun and games" and it was, until that ridiculous chant. Although most of the crowd had cleared, and you had to be still standing there before the awards were given out to hear it, it was still uncalled for.

So I guess it was ok when the Peebles fans were chanting "the best team's in white" when they thought they had won the game? They were chanting "winning team" and "losing team" not winners and losers. Is it really rude and disrespectful to say what actually happened? If so, let me be rude and disrespectful and say congrats to Ironton for being the winning team and it was a valiant effort for the losing team Peebles.

shljunkie wrote:what an ignorent post fanosports. Maybe you didn't notice but 3/4 of that convo was packed with Peebles fans.....a community that truly gets behind their team and supports them. I for one....was extremely proud of our crowd. I won't even justify your women comment with a response....I'll let your ignorence speak for itself.

It's ignorant and ignorance, but I'm sure you were purposely doing that to drive home your point :roll:

FeetballRef wrote:The official/unofficial term that is used for this situation is a BLARGE (block/charge). If you GOOGLE the term, there are some very interesting descriptions of it's definition especially on the Urban Dictionary.

Actually the official/unofficial term that is used for this situation is SCREW UP! They blew this call badly...a block, no a charge, no both but count the basket, but no free throw, a jump ball too for S's and G's. A double foul is the chicken's way out of having to make a decision!

GO TIGERS!!!

Tigfan
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigfan »

This is the 1st time I've ever complained about the refs on here but I have to vent. I thought they were horrible and the one ref just had it out for us. (same one that called the charge) They were calling touch fouls outside the perimeter and would let Peebles hack on us when we got the ball inside. Ironton had a height advantage and we tried to exploit it but it doesn't matter if your getting hacked and no fouls called. Fletcher got hammered either at the end of reg or 1st OT on a put back and no foul called. And before that either Seamen or Justice drove on Koch who had his hands straight up in the air and a foul was called. And then the traveling calls. You're allowed 2 steps when you catch the ball before you dribble right? Who knows maybe I've got it all wrong. Can't wait to catch the rerun on nextvsports.com. Anyways great game by both teams and a huuuuuge shot by Malcolm! You da man!

numberonefan
Riding the Bench

Post by numberonefan »

I think the poor calls went both ways. Several traveling calls were not made that should have been against Ironton. And how about giving Ironton a timeout when they didn't have possession....the ball is laying loose on the floor? And I don't think the fighting tigers were the only ones getting hammered....they were doing their fair share of clawing.....our guys were getting taken to the floor as well with no call. I happen to think had the officiating been better it would definately have meant Peebles won the ballgame.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

Tigfan wrote:This is the 1st time I've ever complained about the refs on here but I have to vent. I thought they were horrible and the one ref just had it out for us. (same one that called the charge) They were calling touch fouls outside the perimeter and would let Peebles hack on us when we got the ball inside. Ironton had a height advantage and we tried to exploit it but it doesn't matter if your getting hacked and no fouls called. Fletcher got hammered either at the end of reg or 1st OT on a put back and no foul called. And before that either Seamen or Justice drove on Koch who had his hands straight up in the air and a foul was called. And then the traveling calls. You're allowed 2 steps when you catch the ball before you dribble right? Who knows maybe I've got it all wrong. Can't wait to catch the rerun on nextvsports.com. Anyways great game by both teams and a huuuuuge shot by Malcolm! You da man!

Not making the calls when Peebles hacked at Ironton? That's the best one I've heard all day...your football players were hacking Peebles to death all night...and I didn't realize you could call a time out when your team didn't have posession of the ball. I learned a lot about basketball Saturday night.

Oh, and I still haven't heard the offiical reason they added the 3 seconds to the clock in the second overtime. Why was that?

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

The 3 seconds was added becasue of the hurt player at the other end. The clock and play should have been stopped as soon as the Peebles goal went thru the net. So they backed the clock back up to that point.

I happened to think the officiating was to the disadvantage of Ironton. On the jump ball, I think the ball was underneath the Ironton player, and I think the proper call would have been to call a foul on the Peebles player who jumped squarely on the back of the Ironton player, not even going for the ball!

There was another play late on the sideline in Pebbles end, when Ironton was about to steal the ball, and Justice(who had four fouls) plowed into the Ironplayer and the ball went OB off the Ironton player. The proper call would have been to foul out Justice. I think the mentality of the ref was: I don't want to foul out Justice, but I don't want to completely rob Ironton of the call, so I'll give the ball OB to Ironton. I think there was a play very similar to this on the baseline under Pebbles basket in the 2nd half where the ref gave it to the team who touched it last instead of calling a foul.

indianmaniac
Riding the Bench

Post by indianmaniac »

IMO the officiating was not bad enough that it would have cost either team the game. Yeah, there were some questionable calls but nothing that made enough difference to be a deciding factor. They let em bang inside and called the obvious fouls outside. Typical tournament called game.

I thought we had the game when we were up around 5 points in overtime but for some reason we didn't use the clock to our advantage. :122248

It was a great game! I wish it would have had a different outcome.

Nice season Indians!

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

mhs_ - Yes that would be the proper order in which it occurred. As far as the player control signal goes that was just an error in communication. The official scorer only writes down fouls and doesn't distingish between offense and defense. It sounds to me as if the play was handled correctly if the sequence of events occurred as stated on here. We don't like to have calls like this but if they happen we won't back away from them we will apply the rules and play on. Back to the communication error the only way it could affect the book is if a score was not properly counted as a result. On a play such as you describe I'm sure it discussed and everyone knew what the final decision was

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Congrats to both teams on their great seasons.

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

I definately felt like the bad calls went both ways. I didn't feel like any official had it in for either team. I would not want the pressure of being a ref.

Were there some questionable calls?? No doubt. But there is in EVERY game I have been to. Are there some make-up calls from time to time?? I think there is.

Bottom line is this, neither team DESERVED to lose that game. 2 winning teams with winning efforts.

But the game had to end with one team advancing and it was Ironton.

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

Great season Tigers!Great season Indians! Go on one game at a time and win it all Tigers. I think the Indians , the Warriors and the Greyhounds have proven that the SHL is not a pushover.Good luck Tigers and heres to hoping your team and others from your area schedule games against teams of the SHL........OH,I hope to see you again in next years tourny or maybe a regular season series ,since we won't have South Point on schedule next year.That would be fun!

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

As far as the difefrence between Ironton fans rubbing in a victory and Indian fans chanting "best team's in white when they're 5 up... While the game is going on, we expect cheerblocks to get a little rowdy and nudge the other team. After the game, just cheer for your team, don't be a sore winner. For the record, I didn't hear Ironton's student section rub anything in...I was too busy feeling heartbroken for our seniors on the floor.

If both sides are claiming the officiating was bad, it was probably either good or rotten. I'll come down on the side of rotten.

I would love to see a Peebles/Ironton matchup next season, and every season after that.

bring-it-on
Waterboy

Post by bring-it-on »

jchitwood wrote:As far as the difefrence between Ironton fans rubbing in a victory and Indian fans chanting "best team's in white when they're 5 up... While the game is going on, we expect cheerblocks to get a little rowdy and nudge the other team. After the game, just cheer for your team, don't be a sore winner. For the record, I didn't hear Ironton's student section rub anything in...I was too busy feeling heartbroken for our seniors on the floor.

It's all part of the atmosphere. I witnessed the Peebles fans chanting "Best Teams In White" after beating North Adams in the Sectionals at Waverly. For some reason there are a few of the Peebles fans that are very quick to point fingers when maybe they should step back and look at their own crowd. "After the game, just cheer for your team, don't be a sore winner." If only fans could remember such words of wisdom, Jchitwood.

shljunkie
Varsity

Post by shljunkie »

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything wrong with "best teams in the white"....there is nothing negative or nasty about that....fans feel there team is the best win or lose.

ticklethetwine
Waterboy

Post by ticklethetwine »

I would like to give a shout out to the PHS Seniors. They showed a lot of class and were very good role models for the young ones to look up to. Especilly to N. Stephens who in my book held his head high all season long. Good job Nate it didn't go unnoticed. Not to many would have rode it out and I admire you for it. Good luck in the future.

buckeyewoman
Waterboy

Post by buckeyewoman »

I was appalled by the fact that after the game the Ironton student section was chanting and pointing winners to the Tigers and losers to the Indians. I thought this showed no class or respect from the Ironton student section. In fact, one of the gentleman who was getting ready to hand out the awards turned around and gave the cheering section the "cut it out" sign. Honestly, there were two very talented teams on the floor. In double overtime and a win by one, I don't think that there were any LOSERS in that game.

buckeyewoman
Waterboy

Post by buckeyewoman »

numberonefan wrote:I think the poor calls went both ways. Several traveling calls were not made that should have been against Ironton. And how about giving Ironton a timeout when they didn't have possession....the ball is laying loose on the floor? And I don't think the fighting tigers were the only ones getting hammered....they were doing their fair share of clawing.....our guys were getting taken to the floor as well with no call. I happen to think had the officiating been better it would definately have meant Peebles won the ballgame.

I agree! Very well said. And how about all the over the back fouls that were never called???

60ft.6in.
Freshman Team

Post by 60ft.6in. »

Well...I feel that Ironton just out hustled Peebles, they played with a little more heart. A perfect example of this is the one sided rebounding that belonged to Ironton. Ironton was just in there grinding and grabbing offensive rebounds and making sure they scored on a majority of their possessions while Peebles took some ridiculous shots, live by the 3, die by the 3...and when you don't have anyone in there to do the dirty work (clean up all of those misses) you are going to..die by it
Everyone is just saying the same thing, over..and over..and over..and over..and over......and over...Its either about the poor pep section, or the blarge (bad officiating)....Either let this go or find something different to talk about that happened during the game...
Last edited by 60ft.6in. on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

60ft.6in.
Freshman Team

Post by 60ft.6in. »

One last thing...who really cares about the over the back calls not made? It made NO difference....

Also, I really enjoyed the Ironton student section, although I found it HILARIOUS when I seen a GROWN man from Peebles stand up, point at them and start yelling at the top of his lungs....Its really great when some fans from Peebles get on here and say they were disrespectful when the parents from Peebles decided to get involved :lol: ...Then complain about the Ironton chant at the end of the game, when during the game student from Peebles were chanting best in the white...which I thought was pretty clever...How about everyone just lets them go, stop listening and watch the kids play...

slug
Freshman Team

Post by slug »

Do all the fans at Peebles really believe that the officials cost them this game?

shljunkie
Varsity

Post by shljunkie »

I think 60ft, 6inches that since this is a forum and the topic is the game....we can post/comment/discuss/hash till we're blue in the face....whatever we really want to? Thanks though. Kind of funny how you continued to go on and on about your thoughts over the last 2 posts but want the rest of us to shut up about it?

Return to “Boys Basketball”