District 3/13 7PM: Chesapeake vs. Zane Trace @ Convo

peeblesportsfan1391
Riding the Bench

Re: Chesapeake vs. Zane Trace.. thoughts

Post by peeblesportsfan1391 »

If Zane Trace doesnt bring their A game i would be suprised if this game stays within 10 pts.... Chesapeake is one of the 2 most sound team I have seen play all year... I dont think Trace has anyone who can handle #55, he should kill them offensively, and on the boards.... I would be shocked if Peake didnt win by around 15 or so

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

Listen folks, it will all come down to coaching! I have coached my biddy league team to a 43-2 record over the past four seasons with 2 league championships(4th and 5th grade) and finished 2nd in the county tournament twice. I think that qualifies me to say that Davis seriously needs to rethink has schemes on both sides of the ball if he thinks he is going to beat this great Zane Trace team.

peeblesportsfan1391
Riding the Bench

Post by peeblesportsfan1391 »

popcorn phil wrote:Listen folks, it will all come down to coaching! I have coached my biddy league team to a 43-2 record over the past four seasons with 2 league championships(4th and 5th grade) and finished 2nd in the county tournament twice. I think that qualifies me to say that Davis seriously needs to rethink has schemes on both sides of the ball if he thinks he is going to beat this great Zane Trace team.

Could you explain your thinking behind this a little more...cause after watching both teams play the other night...and having seen Peebles play against ZT earlier in the year( and yes i know that was without Haynes) but I really think that Peake is on another level than what Trace is...Maxwell and Haynes will both have to have one of the better nights to be able to beat Peake...not to say that that isn't possible...i just dont see it happening.

clemente
Waterboy

Post by clemente »

Popcorn Phil...Are you holding any autograph signings in the near future? Maybe we can meet up at the convo on Saturday and "talk basketball". It seems that you are very knowledgeable about the game and you make valid points. I have heard that the OHSAA has honored biddy league and playstation coaches in the past! :lol:

Don't let anyone talk you down about those biddy league championships. I bet you adjusted your schemes quite well while playing those intense, down to the wire contests.

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

I would love to meet with you and discuss basketball anytime. I gaurantee you most of my stuff would work at the varsity level, especially my 2-3 zone press and my clearout plays(which i invented). 43-2 is a great accomplishment at any level so if you want to compare records(if you are a coach) i would like to hear yours.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

I think this will be a good matchup...again, it will depend on who gets an early lead...I think ZT HAS to hit 3's and they have to stay out of foul trouble. I love Maxwell, but he's going to find it tough once he gets into the paint getting that shot off without it being contested...With that said, Zane Trace has a lot of seniors and experience....The one thing I know about them is they DO NOT quit...It will be a game til the end.

I hope ZT gets the win...I think Peake' will pull out the win because of their size on the boards and in the paint.

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

peebles, i just think that Trace is way too athletic for peake and the size of the Trace guards will hurt the Peake. Plus, that offense that Davis runs(the inverted flex shuffle), will be easy for Trace to defend.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

PPhil, sorry you might not make it to the game since your six year olds may be playing for a national championship. We'll try to get a message to Coach Davis that his inverted flex offense wont work like it has in the previous 22 games they won. Did you invent the internet and post it note too? Just wondering good buddy.

gh123
JV Team

Post by gh123 »

I'll take peake by 12.

purple pride
Waterboy

Post by purple pride »

This is for popmouth phil,how did you lose 2 games with all your biddy league experience,and knowledge.Coach Davis is very well thought of in the Chesapeake community ,and expect the Panthers to play with class.This team is very smart,well mannered,and plays within Coach Davis's well rounded background,THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Jughe@d
Riding the Bench

Post by Jughe@d »

I watched the Chesapeake-Piketon game, ovc fan. In fact, I watched it quite closely. Piketon had zero, zilch, nada (and whatever else stands for no) post presence with Southworth being suspended from the team and #34 absolutely ate them alive on the offensive end because Piketon didn't box out.

I just don't understand why the Pioneers have slowed the pace of the game way down over the past two games. If they played like they did against some of their earlier opponents, I can guarantee that the last two games wouldn't have been so close. I know you don't want to show all your cards in the early rounds, but to play so slow compared to the end of the regular season can't do anything but hurt chemistry. I also have noted that ZT has recently reduced its 10 man rotation down to 8, 7 of which are primarily guards. Why slow the pace down when you have your small lineup on the court? Someone please explain that to me.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

Good question jug. I watched the game with ZT and NW. It was VERY slow paced and half court oriented. But it seemed to work that game. It picked up at the end a little but I think that was mainly when 24 from NW was taking the ball coast to coast. No pressure defense and trapping from either team that I saw. PPhil, can you explain that to jughead with all your knowledge? haha. JK. Done ribbing you. Jug, hope your team plays the way thay can and I hope its a good game. Good luck.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Do you guys think that this phil guy is having the time of his life playing you all and getting you all jacked up. I think he is funny, but if he is serious then holy ship this guy could run for president with a 43-2 buddy/biddy league record :lol: .

Just a little knowledge for you coming from someone who knows they do not run an inverted flex offense. There are 0 flex cuts in the offense nor is their a UCLA screen. Just a little knowledge to pass a long if you are serious.

Austin McMasters is the problem, not any of the guards from ZT. ZT has no one to match up with a 6'4 swing man who can go inside/outside and runs the floor as good as anyone in the area. Copley is 6'2 and can shot the lights out of it, so I am seeing a much bigger problem for ZT.

Now, if ZT does try and slow it down then yes, they can be physical with Chesapeake, but they are going to have to slow the temp waaaaay down. Chesapeake runs the floor much better then ZT. This is the first Davis coached team that has reminded me of the old Chesapeake teams that would fly up and down the court.

Chesapeake should, and I say SHOULD win this game by 10+, but this is why we play the game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Zane Trace playing for a district championship and the PROVING that scrimmages don't mean a team is better than another team. I can't wait to see how this game goes.

I know it was scrimmage time but preseason Zane Trace wasn't any better than Huntington, Jackson, North Adams, Fairfield, Clay and others at that scrimmage......Chesapeake was HEAD and SHOULDERS better than every team there.....sure they are better and I'm sure Haynes wasn't there.....but man Peake was so dominant.

A Zane Trace win will get some major kudos to Coach Alley....... at least from me.

QBear
JV Team

Post by QBear »

Zane Trace has not won a District Title in Basketball since 1970.
Sooner or later the odds will catch up. Won't they?
Last edited by QBear on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

....yeah, but it appears this year karma is on Chesapeake's side

QBear
JV Team

Post by QBear »

40 years is a long time. That is why I believe in the odds.
Nixon was President. :)

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

Ironman92 wrote:Zane Trace playing for a district championship and the PROVING that scrimmages don't mean a team is better than another team. I can't wait to see how this game goes.

I know it was scrimmage time but preseason Zane Trace wasn't any better than Huntington, Jackson, North Adams, Fairfield, Clay and others at that scrimmage......Chesapeake was HEAD and SHOULDERS better than every team there.....sure they are better and I'm sure Haynes wasn't there.....but man Peake was so dominant.

A Zane Trace win will get some major kudos to Coach Alley....... at least from me.

Haynes was at the preseason scrimmage. Maxwell wasnt. I was at a different scrimmage closer to home so I just heard secondhand. Chesapeake was dominant then. Scrimmages dont mean squat though. Peake squashed Portsmouth but they didnt have a few of their players. So, we'll just have to see the strategy and how it plays out. Not gonna talk smack and Jinx it. And who cares about Phil, he wasnt gettin my gander up. haha. I was just givin him a harmless hard time. I'm just trying to figure out where to eat on the way to the game....hmmmmm.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

zane trace has had a long drought between now and their last district title around 1970. be nice to see them end it, but i look for chesapeake to take the game.

BuckeyeGuy38
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeGuy38 »

Earlier on in the Thread i saw where im assuming a peake fan made a reference to Zt only beating Ptown by 4. Zt beat southpoint by 30...Both time Peake played sp it was within ten. Not your best argument,

Return to “Boys Basketball”