BELPRE 32 vs WHEELERSBURG 43 .......FINAL

mhs95_06
S

Re: BELPRE 32 vs WHEELERSBURG 43 .......FINAL

Post by mhs95_06 »

I'm not in the camp that says that games should have near the same number of fouls called on each team to be fair. Quite the contrary, I want a foul to be called a foul. It is further my opinion that if you hear of two games that the fouls were 14-2 and 8-7, I would normally think the refs did the best job in the 14-2 game, but with this game tonight, and the Waverly/LE game last night, it didn't fit my normal thinking!

hunting1
Waterboy

Post by hunting1 »

Did Pat Slattery Get to play in this game for Belpre, I listened to it on the radio and did not hear his name?

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Ugly, ugly, ugly...that is what this game was. I suppose it doesn't matter, Burg advances. Mcbee was the one who stepped up tonight, but that game brought back mid-season memories! Burg couldn't drop a shot if someone gave them a latter to climb and put it in!!! I really believe that the Burg advance because Belpre was not a good team. Well, I should say a poorly coached team! I am not sure of those on here who were sitting on the Burg side, but at the end of the game one Kid fouled out and when the Belpre coach went to "comfort" him, and the kid was acting like a fool, he wouldn't let the coach touch him....he smacked the floor and blah blah...which a resulting technical was called on him (not sure if it was before the scene or after?). It was just a bad performance from both teams...

Burg better come with all their players. They can't expect to keep advancing if only one player is stepping up. And they best get the ball in the paint to Stegman, not sure why they won't pass it in??? Even Barrick said in the Daily Times article they need to do that.

Eastern Brown will be tough. Every game from here on out will be tough. But nothing is impossible. Burg is capable of a great great great run!

justlookin
Freshman Team

Post by justlookin »

The "T" was called on the Belpre player after he commited his 5th foul. As he was walkin off the court he expressed his displeasure towards the ref as he left. The coach went and tried to calm him down and even told him to leave the bench and go to the locker room.He sat down on the bench and slapped the floor, that isn't when he got the "T" but was lucky that another one wasn't given. Not a shining moment for the player or coach. Now for the game:

Belpre's turnovers killed them. When you try to slow down the tempo, which is a first for this team this year, you have to make good clean crisp passes, not lollipops. The number of fouls called and not called in the second half was something else. Just a sloppy game from the players and the refs. Belpre's box and one on Stegman slowed him with scoring 4 of his 15 from the feild. Leasure and Campbell bodied him up as much as they could. Neither team seemed to have an advantage until the flagrant foul with 2 freebies and the ball,and the foul in the back court with 2 shots and a "T" on top. For Belpre the team seemed to wait on Tate to pick it up and carry this team and it just didn't happen, sometimes you just have to step it up on your own.
Good Luck 'Burg the rest of the way, wonderful fan support from them last night.
Thank you Belpre seniors Campbell, Leasure, Parsons, Sims, Slattery and Tate.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

way to go pirates!!!!!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Like I said above, if you aren't aggressive and attacking the basket, you aren't going to shoot alot of Free throws. Belpre would just pass the ball around and then either take a long three or throw the ball away, unforced. If this was the first time all year they had slowed the ball down, that is just amazing. Why would you go away with what worked for you in a one and done ball game? Sometime coaches ouththink thereselves.

clemente
Waterboy

Post by clemente »

I think Coach Parson has done about as good a job with this group as anyone could have. He came into a tough situation from the past two seasons, and done well. Good luck to him in the future.

hunting1
Waterboy

Post by hunting1 »

Does any one know if Pat Slattery got to play in this game? I wasn't there but did not hear his name mentioned on the radio.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

javon white wrote: It does throw an offensive player off your game if you are getting thrown, banged and tossed around with no fouls being called.

C'mon boys, "Let'em play" !! Gee whiz. :roll: :roll:

It gets a little (lot) confusing when reading on here. One day everybody is screaming "let'em play", then the next day everybody is screaming because the players are getting "thrown, banged, bumped and tossed around" with no fouls being called.
When the officiating gets subjective (as in a let'em play game) this is going to be the result every time. Somebody is always going to be unhappy with where the line is drawn... especially the crowd whose team lost.
I agree with mhs95_06, a foul is a foul and they should be called as they occur and then you wouldn't have this "my guy got hit HARDER than your guy got hit and they called a foul on my guy but not yours" balogna. If EITHER ONE OF THEM gets hit it is a foul....call it.
You can't have it both ways, boys. Chaos ensues.

hardwork65
Waterboy

Post by hardwork65 »

I was at the game hunting and Slattery played i think around 3 minutes if that in the game. Channing made turnover after turnover then would come down and bomb up the 3's. Miller and Slattery were cheated all year. Tate played a heck of a game. Turnovers and poor ball handling simply killed this team and it showed at the end. Good Season Boys.

Thank You Seniors

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

Very ugly game for both the officials and the players. Congrats to the burg on the win...Belpre turnovers killed them in this game, they always seemed to turn the ball over right when they have a chance to put the burg on the ropes or when they were getting back in the game. All of Belpre players were waiting for Sims and Tate to step up. Parsons could not handle the burgs pressure defense. Tough to see Tate and Sims go out like that, both have had great careers. Good luck to the burg in the district finals.

hunting1, Slattery played, but not a lot, i would say probably about 3 or 4 minutes in the first half..hate to see the kid go out like that, hes a great kid and a great competitor, would have liked to seen him in the game more.

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

Channing made turnover after turnover then would come down and bomb up the 3's. Miller and Slattery were cheated all year.

agreed, it seemed as though channing would stay in the game after he made mistake after mistake, then he would finally come out, and slattery or miller would make one mistake and they would be yanked outta the game. If you're going to do that, you gotta treat everyone fairly, i didn't see channing do anything rashawn or pat can't do. Im not trying to knock a kid at all, channing is a great competitor and he wants to win, but when a kid isn't hitting shots, and turning the ball over, you just have to change somethin, Tate should have had the ball in his hands 80 percent of the game, he should have been the one making the decisions and running the offense.

hunting1
Waterboy

Post by hunting1 »

eaglefan1 and hardwork65, thanks I was wondering if he did get to play, and that was what I was wondering all i heard on the radio was 3 fouls on parsons at the end of the game, and turnovers, and air balls and i was wondering why Slattery wasn't in more, thanks for the info.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

eaglefan1 wrote:,Tate should have had the ball in his hands 80 percent of the game, he should have been the one making the decisions and running the offense.

That's what we were thinking as well. We wondered if the one with all the turnovers was the coaches son or something...

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Great season Belpre! Good luck next year in the TVC Hocking! Belpre should be one of the front runners for the TVC Hocking title next year. It will be weird not seeing Belpre vs. Nelsonville-York next season........maybe we will meet up in the tourney.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

TheMalteseFalcon wrote:
javon white wrote: It does throw an offensive player off your game if you are getting thrown, banged and tossed around with no fouls being called.

C'mon boys, "Let'em play" !! Gee whiz. :roll: :roll:

It gets a little (lot) confusing when reading on here. One day everybody is screaming "let'em play", then the next day everybody is screaming because the players are getting "thrown, banged, bumped and tossed around" with no fouls being called.
When the officiating gets subjective (as in a let'em play game) this is going to be the result every time. Somebody is always going to be unhappy with where the line is drawn... especially the crowd whose team lost.
I agree with mhs95_06, a foul is a foul and they should be called as they occur and then you wouldn't have this "my guy got hit HARDER than your guy got hit and they called a foul on my guy but not yours" balogna. If EITHER ONE OF THEM gets hit it is a foul....call it.

You can't have it both ways, boys. Chaos ensues.

Maybe it is confusing because when a game is called tight, the "let them play" camp comes out, and vice versa when it is called tight. So maybe there are two separate camps that come out more depending on the situation! For myself I'm in the call a foul a foul, a walk a walk, and a carry a carry, camp all the time. I feel if the game is called tightly by the rules the players will adjust and the quality of the games will improve.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

4th n Goal wrote:
eaglefan1 wrote:,Tate should have had the ball in his hands 80 percent of the game, he should have been the one making the decisions and running the offense.

That's what we were thinking as well. We wondered if the one with all the turnovers was the coaches son or something...

the leader in turnovers was not the coach's son

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

the leader in turnovers was not the coach's son

I don't know who the leader in turnovers was, but channing parsons is the coaches son, and he was playing poing guard the whole game. If he didn't lead the game in turnovers, then i don't know who did.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Pat Slattery played a little bit in both halves. He had a defensive rebound in the second quarter and a foul in the third quarter.

Belpre did not play a disciplined defense in this game. They made up for being caught out a step by fouling when the Pirates were shooting. 11 times, they were called for hitting a player during a shot (one basket made), 6 times the Eagles fouled to force the Pirates to the line in the last two minutes of the game, and there was the technical foul (stupidity). That accounts for 35 of the Pirates' free throws.

The refs did not catch all the fouls that Belpre did (as would be expected). I always get the benefit of being able to see the pictures. In the photos, I caught one foul by the Pirates that was not called. I also caught several fouls on 'film' that Belpre did but was not called. The only call that I was a bit surprised by was the intentional foul. But it may have been an accumulation call.

In the fourth quarter, the foul count was lopsided enough that the refs refused to call anything on Belpre for several minutes and let 3-4 fouls go until the Pirates picked up a few fouls.

I have seen much worse reffed games. I thought they were a bit above average for the ugly type game it was. Better refs would have called a few more fouls but they portionately missed the fouls on the teams.

FridayNites
Waterboy

Post by FridayNites »

IMO the the actual foul against Parsons was clean but was called Intentional because he was trying to catch himself from falling in an awkward way. Belpre guard play was horendous. Without actual stats, I think you could flip a coin between Tate and Parsons for the most turnovers. Liesure played a great defensive game against Stegman. Stegman had to work his tail off to get what he did. I also thought Coach Parsons handled himself quite admirably in dealing with Tate's fouls.

Return to “Boys Basketball”