Varsity

Re: #1 South Webster vs. #8 Western 2/24 @ Valley

Post by therepublican »

final?

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Pol Pot wrote:I think being up 22 in the 4th is the jugular. How would you feel if you lost a key player in a 30pt blowout with 4 min to play?

Point taken.

dimedrop4
All State

Post by dimedrop4 »

GAME STATS

JEEPS 59
INDIANS 46

Scoring

Jeeps
W. LOOP- 30
C. SCOTT- 9
T. QUEEN- 9
A. MILLER- 3
A. LOOP- 3
D.SUTTON- 2
G. PEARSON- 2
B. MALONE- 1

INDIANS
FLINT- 14 ( ALL IN 2nd HALF)
STOJANOVIC (sp)- 11
BAKENHASTER- 10
COOPER- 6
SATTERFIELD- 3
PARK- 2

STATISTICS

SW 22-43 FG (52%)
W 16-45 FG (36%)

SW 5-15 3FG (33%)
W 2-14 3FG (14%)

SW 10-20 FT (50%)
W 12-13 FT (93%)

SW 30 REB
W 29 REB

SW 20 TO
W 20 TO

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

40 turnovers?

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Just listened to Coach Ater. He said he takes responsibility for possibly giving the guys the impression the game was over when he started subbing to get the young kids some tourny action. He's not happy! :lol:
But he gave Western credit for never giving up and getting the momentum to close the gap.

Got to play 4 quarters of basketball in the tourney. I think this will be a great learning tool.

On to Fairfield.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

therepublican wrote:40 turnovers?

VERY sloppy 1st quarter for both teams. After that things settled down.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Meh...this game was never in doubt so I don't have a problem with Ater getting some younger guys in there. Biggest problem I have with this game though is the Jeeps only 10-20 from the line and 20 turnovers...that's a lack of focus from a team knowing they are better than the other team and doing just enough to win.

There's not a game left where the Jeeps can just show up and win like tonight was, so they better be ready to bring it every night from here on out. Next game will be alot tougher, especially with Leesburg's big boy inside. But I think Jeeps will be ok in that one as well.*

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Just listened to Coach Ater. He said he takes responsibility for possibly giving the guys the impression the game was over when he started subbing to get the young kids some tourny action. He's not happy!
But he gave Western credit for never giving up and getting the momentum to close the gap.
Got to play 4 quarters of basketball in the tourney. I think this will be a great learning tool.

On to Fairfield

I was wondering if someone was going to give them credit. they never gave up after being down 25 points and was still going full speed. Hats off to the Western Kids.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

hats off to the western kids, they scared me in the second half.... oh, except the one who walked out at halftime and quit the team

Larry Bird
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Bird »

Great effort by western. SW just to much talent. Not sure what happened with the kid and coach at the half but heard he had a couples nice games this year. And only a soph. not 100% on that. First time ive seen western this year. Coach is very intense. Hope he and his coach can patch things up for the future.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Sounded like western just kept coming. Must have watched rocky before the game. Good win for the jeeps.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Thats the way the Western boys have played all year HARD and till the end its our coaches first year at the helm and he had no returning varsity players this year we graduated 9 last year coach KIGHT is a wonderful person and coach who is trying to teach a bunch of young kids how to play the game the right way and carry them selfs like respectable young men on and off the floor they even have study tables after school in his classroom befor practice this was a tough year for the boys there record didnt reflect there HEART,and HARD WORK. Coach is trying to instill a FOX HOLE mentality with them that every player is an equal and important as the next and to always have each others back and help each other out. We are all VERY,VERY proud of this years team and the way they played hard from start to end every game. CONGRATS WEBSTER good luck the rest of the way. And its time to go to work WESTERN boys. Next season starts now. GO HARD!!!!!! OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!! GOOOOOOOO !!!INDIANS!!!!!

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

Post by thecinderellapick »

Larry Bird wrote:Great effort by western. SW just to much talent. Not sure what happened with the kid and coach at the half but heard he had a couples nice games this year. And only a soph. not 100% on that. First time ive seen western this year. Coach is very intense. Hope he and his coach can patch things up for the future.

the few times i've seen western play, the only thing i could think was "man, this coach is an attention hog" i understand being intense, but gimme a break! dont have to go making yourself look like an idiot.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Our coach wheres his emotions on his sleeve he LOVES his players and he LOVES the game he dosnt ask anything out of his players that he wouldnt do he lifts with them ,runs with them,teaches them ,laughs and yes at times cries with them give me a coach thats intense and into the game over one that sits on his but and you wouldnt know if he even knows theres a game going on. If you dont like how he coaches then thats fine. But the ones whos kids have and are playing for him LOVE him and how he coaches once your kid gets to high school he will LOVE him to what you think you see is only a part of coach hes a rolemodel and mentor and i as well many ,many other parents who have taken a chance to get to know him knows its THE KIDS FIRST NO QUESTION AND BASKETBALL SECOND so befor getting on a forum like this and stirring stuff up try talking to him and you will understand where im comeing from.

Competitor
Waterboy

Post by Competitor »

the few times i've seen western play, the only thing i could think was "man, this coach is an attention hog" i understand being intense, but gimme a break! dont have to go making yourself look like an idiot.[/quote]

cinderella, if you have every coached one of the things you try to teach your kids is to not pay attention to the crowd, be concerned with what's going on between the white lines. If you think Coach Kight is an "attention hog", I beg you, please attend a practice where there is NOBODY there, or go to a game where there are ZERO fans in the seats and you will see the same passion. Yelling to yell is one thing, communicating with your kids the way you're comfortable (aka Howie Caldwell) is another. And like lightle said, those kids would run through a wall for this guy. Best thing for Western is that schools and people like you don't like the way Coach Kight does things because you won't be wanting him coaching at your school. I don't think the people at Western want him to leave any time soon.

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

I have known Coach Kight for a few years and IMO he is a good coach and an even better person. Western got a find when they hired him.

cc93
Waterboy

Post by cc93 »

cinderella, if you have every coached one of the things you try to teach your kids is to not pay attention to the crowd, be concerned with what's going on between the white lines. If you think Coach Kight is an "attention hog", I beg you, please attend a practice where there is NOBODY there, or go to a game where there are ZERO fans in the seats and you will see the same passion. Yelling to yell is one thing, communicating with your kids the way you're comfortable (aka Howie Caldwell) is another. And like lightle said, those kids would run through a wall for this guy. Best thing for Western is that schools and people like you don't like the way Coach Kight does things because you won't be wanting him coaching at your school. I don't think the people at Western want him to leave any time soon.

I couldnt have said it better myself. And Lightle Is 100% right. I think Kight is one of the best coaches western has had in quite a while. No Offense or disrespect to Harrop or Howard (Who were also great coaches) Kight brings it to a whole new level. And Cinderella, like competitor said, If you think he is an attention hog,go to one of his practices. He brings the same attitude and mentality to practice everyday no matter how many people are there.And he expects his players to do the very same. Bring the hard working mentality to every practice, every day.

Return to “Boys Basketball”