Jackson 71 - Vinton County 68 (Final - OT) 2/20

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Jackson 71 - Vinton County 68 (Final - OT) 2/20

Post by 93Bulldog »

WOW ... SHOCKING ... I SORT OF WONDERED WHAT HAPPENED TO JACKSON ... THEY LOOKED AWESOME EARLY, FADED AND IF THEY WERE ABLE TO BEAT VC, THEY HAVE TO BE BACK IN THE SWING OF THINGS ....

WHAT A WIN HEADING INTO THE TOURNEY.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

what is vinton county's record against each division?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

VINTON WAS 14-4 OVERALL AND 9-2 IN THE TVC-OHIO (BOTH LOSSES WERE TO ATHENS, WHO ARE 18-1)

THE VIKINGS ARE NOW 14-5 (LOSSES TO ATHENS x2, LOGAN, JACKSON AND A 1-POINT LOSS TO ZANE TRACE.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

CLICK THIS LINK TO SEE VINTON COUNTY TEAM PAGE: http://trivalleyconference.com/Page_3.html

ALL THE TVC SCHOOLS CAN BE LOCATED FROM trivalleyconference THE HOME PAGE.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Great win Ironmen.....I'll be back later for more.

Combs was classy on the radio. Best of luck to VC....they play very hard jsut about all the time.....could not miss a shot after the 5:00 in the 4th qtr...geesh.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Coach Combs seems to always be 'CLASSY.' ... He doesn't come across like Mr. nice guy or a Cheerful, happy go-lucky guy .... but he's always respectful and very helpful to the media. (even after VC was beat by Athens at home - ending their 36-league game winning streak - he was very gracious and easy to interview given the circumstances.)

IMO, he's one of the top 3 coaches in Southeastern Ohio and one of the most well respected individuals in the entire area.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

He's pretty high up the list of 70 coaches in the district.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

the hiring of larry jordan was a very good move by supt. phil howard at jackson. i wonder if latham misses him yet? or if southeastern misses jordan as well?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I know one person happy to have them both!

2 years ago we were one of THE worst teams in the entire district.......we are dangerous!

Bucknut27
Varsity

Post by Bucknut27 »

Great win for the Ironmen!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Which is better I92 for the tournament ... (a) to have a team like Jackson, who when their draining three's can blow good teams out of the water ... or (b) having a team like Vinton and or Athens, who play tough defense and stay in just about any game their involved in?

Its a tough call ... I love watching Athens grind down opponents and control the tempo all game, but man, they almost give me a heart attack sometimes ... I know come the sectional championship (if Athens beats Gallia & Warren beats Fairfield Union) that the Bulldogs will keep that game with the Warriros close till the end ... but boy-oh-boy, I sure woud like to see them pull off a Jackson type performance and drain multiple threes and obtain a large lead heading into the 4th quarter ... lol

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

does jordan still play a lot of zone?

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Re: Jackson @ Vinton County 2/20

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Space Cowboy wrote:Hitchbones, Maybe you should have taken the time to look at the posts on Vinton Countys last 4 games. This team is on fire. Dyl Guthrie is playing, IMO, better than he has ever played.
VC by 12+

Space Cowboy,

I meant no disrespect to Coach Combs and VC. They have a very solid program in the SE and are well coached. My point was in comparing like opponents and seeing Jackson 5 times in the past two years, I know how dangerous they can be when they play to their potential. I believe the Ironman faithful would say the same things I said.

Obviously, I can see who won tonight and I am not posting because the Ironman won. Just saw your post and thought I would respond. Good luck to VC in the tourney and my Cavs will see the Ironman for a third time (not fun) if they knock off one of the SOCs finest in the Waverly Tigers and we get past the Sherman Tanks of Unioto.

GO CAVS!!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

____________________________________________________________________________________________
The trivalleyconference.com website has been updated and lots of stuff has been added ... the TVC-NEWS link has new articles .... and the SCHEDULES link is full of updated tourney info for boys and girls.

soc2fan
Riding the Bench

Post by soc2fan »

Congrats to Jackson

On the sidelines
Riding the Bench

Post by On the sidelines »

First time I have seen it done, but very classy move by Vinton County to honor Jacksons seniors on their senior night. It was probably even better considering the two counties border each other.

Solomon
Freshman Team

Post by Solomon »

I went to this game last night, it was great to get out and see a good one. It was also nice not having to pay to park, although it was a long way up the hill to the front doors, further than these old bones care to walk. As for the game, it was good to see the Ironmen firing on all cylinders. The Vikings didnt seem to have a answer until the 2nd half. Coach Jordan is a very good coach and I think the Ironmen wanted it more. The officials were inconsistent all game, terrible, and in a backyard brawl like that you would expect professionalism, what I saw was lack luster performance. It seems that they have never worked together before. What is up with VC coach, is he always that emotional? I dont blame him being mad in the end, you cant call a technical in a overtime if a kid doesnt say anything. Dylan Newsome is a great player, one of the best I have seen in a long time. He had to had 30 or more. Hopefully the Ironmen can continue this type of play into the tournament. Go Ironmen!

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

93Bulldog wrote:Coach Combs seems to always be 'CLASSY.' ... He doesn't come across like Mr. nice guy or a Cheerful, happy go-lucky guy .... but he's always respectful and very helpful to the media. (even after VC was beat by Athens at home - ending their 36-league game winning streak - he was very gracious and easy to interview given the circumstances.)

IMO, he's one of the top 3 coaches in Southeastern Ohio and one of the most well respected individuals in the entire area.

Couldnt have said it any better. The man is a class act.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I really wish I could have seen this one!!! Sounds like a classic.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Its a shame such a great game had to come down to a suspect play...

Jackson played very well and if their shot is on, they will be a TOUGH out in the tourny. It was nice that the Jackson seniors were mentioned before VC's senior walks. Being Jackson's senior night was so long ago, i was nice for them to be recognized. The Vikings played great in the 4th quarter and should definatly take something out of how they didnt give up.

The shot by Thompson to send it into overtime was HUGE...VC never led during regulation and didnt pull even untill time had expired. The shot was amazing and should Steve should definatly get some recognition for it.

Overtime was much like regulation in the sense that jackson went up by 6 points with just a couple minutes to go. RYAN CHESSER came in for Andy Grillo after he fouled out right at the end of the 4th quarter and stepped up BIG TIME..It was almost as if Andy never left the floor. He had two huge 3's in OT to bring VC back to within 2. After VC steal (by another Sophomore, Bobby Walon) and a Jackson foul...Walton hit one of two, to cut the lead to one...Jackson inbounded the ball and was fouled...After both made free throws, the lead was back to 3. The Vikings inbounded the ball to Chesser who stormed up the court with seconds remaining...Took a 3 from the left side (in front of the VC bench) that was contested...the ball made it about halfway to the basket. Coach Combs and the entire VC side wanted a foul call, but never got it. Chesser would have had to make all three free throws obviously...which wouldve been tough for the Sophomore in such a pressure situation, BUT he had handled the pressure extremely well up to that point. Plus there wouldve been about 4 seconds remaining on the clock had he missed one...The Vikings couldve have an opportunity for a rebound putback. I'm really surprised no one has talked much about the ending as it was very exciting and dramatic! Thoughts anyone?

Return to “Boys Basketball”