JV Question

bballin
JV Team

JV Question

Post by bballin »

I have seen several post on here about people wanting to see boys moved up from the JV level to play Varsity that they think are ready for that level and can contribute. It would be interesting to see who they are, school and grade?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Re: JV Question

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Greg Pearson of SW.

blubomber89
Riding the Bench

Post by blubomber89 »

DeVon Sharp Athens, probably the third or fourth best athlete in the school.

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

I have to agree blubomber89 Devon Sharp is a good athlete
Last edited by 91Grad on Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blubomber89
Riding the Bench

Post by blubomber89 »

Never in a lifetime would I try to tell a coach what he/she should do or who to put where. It was just my observation from watching those teams in the last two years.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Alot of times we see a kid do realy well at reserve against there peers but at the varsity level they might be as fast bor as good a shooter,dribbler,and so forth but trust me strength plays a huge ,huge, roll in basketball a player thats younger tends to get physicaly domiated and that some times causes more problems developeing the youngster into the player they can be.Winning is very important but so is developing plays so that winning is a constant not just a every so often thing.I have one on reserve and shooting,dribbleing and knowing the game is not his problem its giveing up so much strength to older kids thats why most coaches laeve younger kids on jv.So they can build confidence in there self and that builds success down the road.

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

lightle04 wrote:Alot of times we see a kid do realy well at reserve against there peers but at the varsity level they might be as fast bor as good a shooter,dribbler,and so forth but trust me strength plays a huge ,huge, roll in basketball a player thats younger tends to get physicaly domiated and that some times causes more problems developeing the youngster into the player they can be.Winning is very important but so is developing plays so that winning is a constant not just a every so often thing.I have one on reserve and shooting,dribbleing and knowing the game is not his problem its giveing up so much strength to older kids thats why most coaches laeve younger kids on jv.So they can build confidence in there self and that builds success down the road.

Could not agree more lightle04, very well said..

blubomber89
Riding the Bench

Post by blubomber89 »

What if in this instance the player is not giving up strength. I think sometimes we don't give these kids in this area enough credit for what they can do, but we rather tell them what they are not ready for. In some cases kids that are younger are ready we are just afraid to try. Not only in the kid from Athens case but in a lot of the area schools around here we tend to do that.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

I think if a kid is ready to play up then by all mean play him up, but do it slowly. Don't just throw him in as a starter and let his confidence get shaken by struggling. On the the other side of the coin is moving a kid up too soon. I have seen this to be a real problem in both girls and boys. A coach feels a kid might be ready for Varsity so he only plays him 2 quarters of JV or in some cases no JV at all. Then come the varsity game, only uses the kid for 2 or 3 minutes. So a kid is allowed 5 quarters of play in a night only gets 2 quarters of JV and 2 minutes of varsity, or is some cases, only 2 or 3 minutes of varsity. This is the worst case scenerio and I have seen it over and over.
I know it's a big deal for a kid to move up, but I would much rather see my kids play all 4 quarters of JV and have 1 available for varsity or at least 3 quarters JV and 2 available for varsity, than be moved up to Varsity to sit the bench.

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

my2cents wrote:I think if a kid is ready to play up then by all mean play him up, but do it slowly. Don't just throw him in as a starter and let his confidence get shaken by struggling. On the the other side of the coin is moving a kid up too soon. I have seen this to be a real problem in both girls and boys. A coach feels a kid might be ready for Varsity so he only plays him 2 quarters of JV or in some cases no JV at all. Then come the varsity game, only uses the kid for 2 or 3 minutes. So a kid is allowed 5 quarters of play in a night only gets 2 quarters of JV and 2 minutes of varsity, or is some cases, only 2 or 3 minutes of varsity. This is the worst case scenerio and I have seen it over and over.
I know it's a big deal for a kid to move up, but I would much rather see my kids play all 4 quarters of JV and have 1 available for varsity or at least 3 quarters JV and 2 available for varsity, than be moved up to Varsity to sit the bench.

This is a common theme.. and you are dead on with a kid needs playing time rather its JV or Varsity. I agree 100% I would rather my kid see the hardwood as much as possible rather than limited Varsity time..

iwearblacknikes
S

Post by iwearblacknikes »

Clay Massie- Wheelersburg Freshman

OUBobcat
Riding the Bench

Post by OUBobcat »

actaully i have seen more too many "marginal" kids moved up to the varsity too soon that should not have been moved up compared to the case presented here of being too slow to move up players...

...what does this cause...creating big heads (parents and players) and creating more long term problems...keep them down and let them play...

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

lightle04 wrote:Alot of times we see a kid do realy well at reserve against there peers but at the varsity level they might be as fast bor as good a shooter,dribbler,and so forth but trust me strength plays a huge ,huge, roll in basketball a player thats younger tends to get physicaly domiated and that some times causes more problems developeing the youngster into the player they can be.Winning is very important but so is developing plays so that winning is a constant not just a every so often thing.I have one on reserve and shooting,dribbleing and knowing the game is not his problem its giveing up so much strength to older kids thats why most coaches laeve younger kids on jv.So they can build confidence in there self and that builds success down the road.

You also need to take in the players work habits and is he mentally/mature ready for this and thier grades.
To move up or not depends on the school. If it is a big or small school and the amount of players on all teams. A coach should know before practice even starts if a freshman is good enough to play on varsity and this should have been discussed with that player ahead of time.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I only watched one game...but the boy blubomber is speaking of was a very good JV player and he looked to be more than quick enough to handle varsity....I couldn't believe he didn't play varsity.

blubomber89
Riding the Bench

Post by blubomber89 »

Ironman 92, I was surprised myself, I am from the big city and have been around D-1 prospect and was A D-1 athlete myself and I think that some of these kids are ready to play up. It is not about the parents or players getiting the big head (although some do) but if a kids got it he/she got it. Not saying that this kid is D-1 or any other kid, but from what I've seen and being at the level of competition that I've been around and was a part of. Some of these kids have it. Not trying to stir up anything just going off some observations and stating my opinion. I hope all these kids suceed.

Im fond John Fond
Waterboy

Post by Im fond John Fond »

Blake Roberts I think sophmore not sure though and maybe Zach Bobst if he impoves his Iq on the floor I've seen em both play and they have the atheletic and talents to do make it.

zerotosixtynforty
JV Team

Post by zerotosixtynforty »

IMO, all have made some good points and some not, but the game has changed and the work ethic for the players has changed, some of these young men/ladies play this game all year round with AAU, all-star, and other camps...etc...age and year in school ie..fresh,soph. .doesn't hold true as it did years ago. . .on rare occasions you'll have a Kobe, Labron, O.J. Mayo's come along. . but today if a player can play than he/she can play. .Parents want their player to be a four year starter,.. coaches want that conference title/state title and ultimately coach has usually the final say so on who plays and who doesn't. . .Observers, like myself, often sit and watch and make statements to friends, fans, parents, coachs and anyone who will lend a ear, on who could and should be moved up/down, benched, cut and on and on and on. . .But when all said and done. . the player who catches the coaches eyes, ears, or can buckle knees and break ankles on a cross over, or dunks, makes six in a row from 3 land holds his/her future in their own hands, thru work, wieghts, work, practice, work, work, and did i mention work. . . Good luck to all and happy posting. . .

Return to “Boys Basketball”