Waverly vs. Wheelersburg

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: Waverly vs. Wheelersburg

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Waverly 44
Burg 40

36.2 seconds left. Burg is trying to make a run.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Burg is putting Waverly on the line and they are having trouble knocking them down even though they are in the double bonus.

Slickrick301
Waterboy

Post by Slickrick301 »

Burg_Grad_77- How well is Martin playing from wavlery?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

47-40 with 12.2 seconds left

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Final

Waverly 47
Burg 42

Waverly missed a bunch of free throws down the stretch that could have had this game a double digit win for the Tigers, but the Burg couldn't take advantage of it by missing easy shots and turning it over. They also missed a few free throws of their own in the waning minutes of the game. Going to be a long season for the Pirates. I'd say 12-8 to 13-7 at best.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Waverly......... 10 - 10 - 12 - 17 = 47
Wheelersburg... 07 - 11 - 12 - 12 = 42

Wheelersburg
Bendoplh...13
Lang...10
Stegman...9
Warner...4
Ballard...3
Sloan...2
Ward...1
Sht...13/40, 32%
3pt...3/16, 18%
FT...13/16, 81%
Reb...17
TO's...11

Waverly
Martin...16
Kretzer...11
Johnston...10
Roback...8
Remy...2
Sht...?
3pt...?
FT...11/22, 50%
Reb...30
TO's...13

Burg had way to many turnovers in this game which seems to be a problem in their first 5 games. The radio said they only had 11 turnovers, but I think they may have missed a few because they had 5 at the half and I know they had more then 6 in the 2nd half. They had at least that many in the 3rd quarter alone.

Rebounding was huge as well. The Tigers got way to many second looks by getting the offensive board and outrebounded the Burg by 13.

Congrats to Waverly on the win.
Last edited by Burg_Grad_77 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Wow, the Waverly players got hosed by the radio crew on the postgame awards. Stegman, Bendoplh, and Lang all won the awards for the Burg. Very unusual that the losing team wins all three postagme awards for Player Of The Game, Taking It To The Hoop, and Outstanding Play Of The Game.

I would have figured Martin would have gotten player of the game since he led all scorers with 16 points.

pdracing23
Riding the Bench

Post by pdracing23 »

I think you are right on the turnovers 77 the pirates turned it over on their first three poss. of the 2nd half alone. On the Waverly station i believe Derek Roback and Harrison Martin got co players of the game. Martin for his 16 points and Roback for his defensive effort on Stegman.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Defensive effort won the game for Waverly. They flat out got after it. Derek Roback played a tremendous game on both ends of the floor. He wanted the ball and shot with confidence and worked his tail off on defense. Remy was his usual self coming up with loose balls and steals. I don't know if I've seen a kid play with more energy.

Nice win going into the Holiday Tournament. I heard the kids stayed and shot foul shot "after" the game. Gotta like the dedication and desire to improve.

The Waverly coaching staff is top notch.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Very unusual game tonight in many aspects. Not much flow at all. Waverly looked like they were going to blow it open a few different times but then they would commit careless turnovers to let Burg back in the game. Martin and their point guard looked great tonight. Roback also had a great game on the defensive end and hit a few key jumpers. Defense won the game tonight for the Tigers. I feel Waverly is 10-15 points better on most nights after watching the two teams go at it tonight.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Some of the kids were out shooting FT's about 5minutes after going into the locker room. They made 12 and missed 9 in the 4th period, some of those misses on the front end of a 1 and 1.
The Tigers were 6-14 from the line in the last 1:35

Slickrick301,
No need for that on here. These guys are playing as a TEAM and that's the way they will win. Each kid has their role and they are getting better and better as they play together.
Martin will usually lead in scoring each night unless people start doubling down on him. That will free up Kretzer and Roback. All three of those guys are crashing the boards and Roback did an awesome job on Stegman tonight. Kretzer is the type of player who can drain the 3 from long range with a hand in his face or he can post you up, that's some of why he's rated one of the top players in the State of Ohio in his class.

Remy, Kelly and Malone all have their rolls on this TEAM and are performing very well at this point.

Sam Johnston is the glue that holds this TEAM together. Sam probably won't score more than he did tonight (10) very often but he is a true leader on the floor and plays tenacious defense.

It is fun watching the 09/10 version of the Waverly Tigers.

The Holiday Classic is Monday (28th) and Wednesday (30th).
Piketon vs Eastern 6:00p.m. (28th)
Waverly vs Western 7:30p.m. (28th)
Consolation Game 6:00p.m. (30th)
Championship Game 7:30p.m. (30th)

Should be another great classic

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Nice win for the tigers to close this first stretch of games, but this wasnt a real good burg team like we're used to seeing so lets not get to fired up over it.
The keys in my opinion was rebounding and the defensive pressure on Bendolph, Johnston took away his left hand all night and pretty much did whatever he wanted on the offensive end, though it doesnt show from his scoring but I think he was like 5 - 8 from the field, burg was double teaming him on inbounds so he couldnt touch the ball by the end of the game!
Legg and Johnston are the 2 best point guards I have seen this yr in southern ohio and I hope we get to watch them battle in the Holiday Classic.
Roback did a great job on Stegman with a lot of good weakside help, ( Remy, Martin, Kretzer) and with not having good passing lanes down into him (Johnston) they shut him down.

Jump23
Freshman Team

Post by Jump23 »

congrats to the tigers!! That was a hard fought game. Tigers became more experienced on the floor tonight. Which will be helpful down the road. Now lets take it to the Indians and Piketon or Eastern in the holiday classic!

The Punisher
Riding the Bench

Post by The Punisher »

Congrats to Waverly on the win! Can't wait for the Classic!

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:Stegman picked up another foul 7 seconds into the 2nd quarter and is now on the bench. Sounds like the officials are going to make sure Andys a non factor in the game. 5 team fouls for the Burg and 1 for Waverly.

Stegma played the entire second half and Roback took him out of the offense. Andy is a heck of a player but kudos to Roback for his defense. Most of Stegman's points were from the foul line.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

soccerfix wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:Stegman picked up another foul 7 seconds into the 2nd quarter and is now on the bench. Sounds like the officials are going to make sure Andys a non factor in the game. 5 team fouls for the Burg and 1 for Waverly.

Stegma played the entire second half and Roback took him out of the offense. Andy is a heck of a player but kudos to Roback for his defense. Most of Stegman's points were from the foul line.

According to Snuffy Smith, Andy was double and triple teamed all night. I'm sure we will see that all year from teams the Burg plays. They will try to shut down Andy and make the other 4 beat you and so far they haven't proven they can. Like I said before, if the Pirates keep playing like they are now I look for 12 or 13 wins tops and I know a lot of schools would kill for 13 wins, but at the Burg that is considered a sub par season.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

And if Bendolph didn't transfer in what shape would this Burg team be in?

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Burg could really use Whitley's shooting, I was shocked to see that he isnt playing this yr it really hurt burg imo.

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

Let's go Pirates! Turn the 'Ship' around.

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

VERY bad shape, soccerfix.

Return to “Boys Basketball”