Post by _____ »

New Coach
New System
Same players any thoughts?

dimedrop4
All State

Re: South Webster

Post by dimedrop4 »

Much improved team from last year. Expect some good things from Coach Ater and these boys. Watched them blow out New Boston by 30+ in a foundation game the other day in which they had their way offensively and defensively. Coach has these boys after it for the full 32 minutes playing in-your-face defense, and aggressive offense. Wes Loop & Scott will be your main offensive threats, but all players are capable of putting up effective numbers on the score sheet.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

South Webster is going to make some noise. They have had good players but no direction for 2 years.
I expect a big turn around over the next few years.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Glad to hear good things about Coach Ater and the Jeeps. I watched some of their scrimmage with Beaver Eastern two weeks ago and I liked what I saw. Coach Ater wants to play an up-tempo game and hard-nosed defense. Some of the kids were still wanting to play defense with their hands, but a few months of practice with Ater, and they'll start moving their feet.

The Jeeps don't have much meat in the middle, so they'll get pushed around at times by the football schools, but they have some athletes. I think they'll be competitive in every game they play this year and will spring an upset or two. Even with a record around .500, I see them going back to the Convo this year in the D4 tourney.*

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

South Webster will suprise a lot of people in the SOC this yr. They played some hard nosed D against Peebles in their scrimmage.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Know it's probably posted somewhere on another thread, but could somebody post a schedule for the Jeeps? If I recall correctly, non-conference games include Portsmouth, Clay (twice), Green, East and New Boston. A final roster would be nice as well if anyone has one. Thanks in advance.

Also just thinking about it, but somebody mentioned Coach Ater was a student manager at Ohio State during the Jim O'Brien era. If true, he should be a great X's and O's coach and have some great out-of-bound sets. No question Matta is the better recruiter, but I'd still take Obie's in-game coaching over Matta.*
Last edited by art_vandelay on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Tobias: without seeing Portsmouth play and just going off their final roster and what's been talked about on here, I'd say Portsmouth wins by 10-15pts. If Webster can handle the pressure and dictate the pace (i.e. make it a sloppy half-court game), I think they can stay in it and have a chance. But looks like Portsmouth has more depth and will probably wear the Jeeps out down the stretch (assuming it's an up-tempo game). Good test for the Jeeps early in the season regardless what happens.*

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Defense wins championships!!

At least they are getting that fundamental taught!!

Looking forward to seeing the Jeeps in 19 days!

dimedrop4
All State

Post by dimedrop4 »

art_vandelay wrote: But looks like Portsmouth has more depth and will probably wear the Jeeps out down the stretch (assuming it's an up-tempo game)

Don't see Portsmouth wearing the Jeeps out down the stretch. They are the quickest team I've saw this year besides East, and I've seen Portsmouth as well. Coach Ater makes them go full speed the entire game, and has frequent subs to give the boys a breather when needed. Granted, the Trojans might have more depth, but I can see the Jeeps keeping things close the entire game and even picking up the W.*

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Webster will be the team that surprises everybody this year. Ater is a lot like Kreischer was when he coached the jeeps to a state title : fast paced game, in your face defense and confidence.

Return to “Boys Basketball”