D4 Northwest Sectional

Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: D4 Boys Northwest Sectional Teams and Outlook

Post by Hoopie74 »

Peebles losses so far, to Lynchburg clay @lynchburg by 3 points, loss to western at western @ western by two or three with shot at buzzer to seal it.,loss to Eastern Pike @ Eastern down big but fought back after Arey and Gordley had to set most of second Quarter with foul trouble on homecoming night, Loss to Ripley by 1 with shot for a game winner at the buzzer misses @ Ripley on homecoming night. I think they will be a tough out come tourney time.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

How I currently see it:

1. Clay
2. Eastern
3. Peebles
4. Leesburg Fairfield
5. Notre Dame
6. East
7. Western
8. South Webster
9. Manchester
10. New Boston
11. Whiteoak

Nothing set in stone and still 2 weeks of basketball before draw.*

bobcat2015
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcat2015 »

I think based upon the Eye Test, I would go like this...

1. Clay
2. Eastern Pike
3. Peebles
4. Leesburg-Fairfield
5. Notre Dame
6. Western
7. South Webster
8. East
9. Manchester
10. New Boston
11. Whiteoak

I think this is one of those years in the sectional where you could mix up 3 through 8 and it wouldn't make a big difference because it's such a deep and strong sectional. Clay, for me, is the best team overall on both ends of the floor, and Eastern is a lock at the 2. Peebles is getting better and Leesburg-Fairfield has had good games this year. Notre Dame has been a solid club, and Western is a tough out on any night. South Webster plays in a tough conference but needs to get a win or two before the draw. Manchester is a sleeper. East has potential to be good but are really inconsistent. No doubt that whoever comes out of this sectional will have earned it. You can't really "avoid" anyone in a sectional this deep.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Hoopie74 wrote:Peebles losses so far, to Lynchburg clay @lynchburg by 3 points, loss to western at western @ western by two or three with shot at buzzer to seal it.,loss to Eastern Pike @ Eastern down big but fought back after Arey and Gordley had to set most of second Quarter with foul trouble on homecoming night, Loss to Ripley by 1 with shot for a game winner at the buzzer misses @ Ripley on homecoming night. I think they will be a tough out come tourney time.
uhhhhh what? lol That was super hard to read.

JV Team

Post by 1906 »

how can Webster be that far down? how many d4 losses do they have?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

js7_22 wrote:
Hoopie74 wrote:Peebles losses so far, to Lynchburg clay @lynchburg by 3 points, loss to western @ western by two or three with shot by western at buzzer to seal it. ,loss to Eastern Pike @ Eastern down big but fought back after Arey and Gordley had to set most of second Quarter with foul trouble on homecoming night, Loss to Ripley by 1 with shot for a game winner at the buzzer misses @ Ripley on homecoming night. I think they will be a tough out come tourney time.
uhhhhh what? lol That was super hard to read.
What I was saying is, Peebles has lost 4 close away games. Eastern was the only one to have a big lead and Peebles made that closer than the final score showed. If they stay out of foul trouble Peebles will be tough.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

1906 wrote:how can Webster be that far down? how many d4 losses do they have?
South Webster is 2-2 in D4.

Loss @ East, tied with 1 minute left
Loss @ Clay, led with 2:30 left
Win @ ND, up 20 before pulling starters
Win vs South Gallia by 40 (they weren't very good)

They're 0-3 vs D2 teams (Jackson, Waverly, Waverly, all 3 tight games)

They're 6-3 vs D3 teams
Losses to Wheelersburg, Oak Hill, South Point (at buzzer)
Wins vs: Valley, Northwest, West, Minford twice, @Wheelersburg

I think that's right. They have 4 more games before the draw, 3 against D3 teams, 1 against a D4 opponent

Watching SE Ohio basketball
JV Team

Post by 1906 »

bbjunky81 wrote:

They're 6-3 vs D3 teams

I think that's right. They have 4 more games before the draw, 3 against D3 teams, 1 against a D4 opponent
thanks for your time

JV Team

Post by 1906 »

it seems like they should get more respect at the draw

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

1906 wrote:it seems like they should get more respect at the draw
Most people agree, but several SOC 1 fans disagree. The problem is, they had chances to beat Clay, East, South Point, and Waverly both times -- all decided in last minute or two. If they could have pulled out a few of those then they're definitely looking at a top 5 seed.

No matter who they draw, they'll be a tough out.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

1906 wrote:it seems like they should get more respect at the draw
Outside of wins against Wheelersburg and Notre Dame Webster hasn't really beat anyone.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

bbjunky81 wrote:

They're 6-3 vs D3 teams

Be nice to drop those 3 D2 games (all close) and also Oak Hill and Wheelerburg twice and replace those 6 games vs Green, Symmes Valley and New Boston. You wouldn't be as good but instead of 8-8 you'd be 14-2. A simple schedule similar to the SOC 1 schools and you go from a 1-2 seed to a 7-8 seed in the eyes of SOC 1 folk.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

The way the Sectional seeding has gone the last few years, for the first time in my life I've pondered if a move to the SOC 1 would be best. Granted, this year the top of the SOC 1 is very good, but normally the top of the SOC 1 and SOC 2 have a pretty big gap.

However, I don't ever see it happening. Way more $$ to be made at the gate in the SOC 2, less travel as well. It will be interesting to see the upcoming enrollment count, though, as it wouldn't shock me if both Eastern Pike and Symmes are right at, or above, the student population at SW.. Wonder how the SOC approaches that?

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Ed Ott wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:

They're 6-3 vs D3 teams

Be nice to drop those 3 D2 games (all close) and also Oak Hill and Wheelerburg twice and replace those 6 games vs Green, Symmes Valley and New Boston. You wouldn't be as good but instead of 8-8 you'd be 14-2. A simple schedule similar to the SOC 1 schools and you go from a 1-2 seed to a 7-8 seed in the eyes of SOC 1 folk.
Northwest, West, Valley were 6 games Soc2 teams should of won this year. Just like Green S.V and N.B in Soc1

GO EAGLES
EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

As an Eastern Eagle fan , I would gladly switch places with South Webster and move to the SOC2 .

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

:)
bbjunky81 wrote:The way the Sectional seeding has gone the last few years, for the first time in my life I've pondered if a move to the SOC 1 would be best. Granted, this year the top of the SOC 1 is very good, but normally the top of the SOC 1 and SOC 2 have a pretty big gap.

However, I don't ever see it happening. Way more $$ to be made at the gate in the SOC 2, less travel as well. It will be interesting to see the upcoming enrollment count, though, as it wouldn't shock me if both Eastern Pike and Symmes are right at, or above, the student population at SW.. Wonder how the SOC approaches that?
Last I heard Eastern was good on the head count, so if u know anyone BBjunky that would like to make a move let us know lol.

GO EAGLES
js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

EPN wrote:As an Eastern Eagle fan , I would gladly switch places with South Webster and move to the SOC2 .
Until you stop hanging SOC banners and want back in the SOC 1...

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Sure it's nice, but I think there are more advantages of joining the SOC2, that would outweigh hanging banners, I could b wrong, but I bet if u asked the Eastern administration they would jump at the chance to join the SOC2.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

EPN wrote:Sure it's nice, but I think there are more advantages of joining the SOC2, that would outweigh hanging banners, I could b wrong, but I bet if u asked the Eastern administration they would jump at the chance to join the SOC2.
What advantage would that give them? Webster plays in it and takes it's thumpings and what do they get out of it, a little bit more of a run in the tournament? Eastern in my opinion would not want to move up to the SOC 2. Why would you like not winning SOC championships?

Move up to SOC 2 to get another win in the tournament? I think they'll take their chances...

I'll take a gold ball any day vs getting beat in the District Finals vs the Semi-Finals.

AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

Let's get back to seeding. Is East worthy of a better seed the SW?

Return to “Boys Basketball”