Favorite High School gymnasium?

Preppy
Waterboy

Re: Favorite High School gymnasium?

Post by Preppy »

Reedsville Eastern for the game atmosphere, only been there a couple of times but enjoy Waverlys downtown gym for plenty of room and a nice gym.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Oh boy I miss the old hilltop and the old ironton pit and it's dumpy visitor locker rooms
Last edited by moonshine on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

I like to watch games at Logans new gym but I loved to play on Logans old gym on the stage.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

When I go on road trips, my favorite gym is Rock Hill. I can sit on the front row without any distractions, the score and time are easy to keep track of with the white numerals.......but make sure you have your balance because the bleachers are probably the steepest I've seen.

Some other favorites are Ironton, Waverly, Chillicothe (the beams are a bit distracting though), Clay, Gallia Academy, Logan, and Warren. Warren gets my nod as having the most lively atmosphere, and I miss seeing the Trojans playing there. I really like how Ironton displays its Final 4 banners for the boys and girls teams. Zanesville's gym is interesting because of the seating configuration.

I like the design of our home gym at Portsmouth, and I always enjoy looking at the 4 state championship and Final 4 banners along with the trophy case. It truly does make the "Home of the Trojans" unique in all SE Ohio. I have seen many visitors looking at the pictures and trophies of the state championship teams. One thing I miss is that the lights stay on during lineup introductions, unlike the 8th street gym when Captain Trojan would come out with the lights off and slide into the opposing teams pregame huddle. It seemed like it was 100 degrees back when games were played there.

Two other unique gyms are North Adams and Peebles, with individual chairs lining one baseline. Clay's gym has seats behind one backboard, which I like, as does Wheelersburg. I just think the Burg's gym should have a few more seats. I was surprised when I first saw the seating at Wheelersburg, given the great community support that the athletic teams receive. Perhaps funding had a lot to do with the seating capacity there.

Many gyms have names or nicknames attached to them: Ironton......Conley Center, Waverly.......Downtown Gym, Chillicothe.......Hatton Gymnasium, Chesapeake.......Persin Court, Portsmouth.......Trojan Arena, Logan......Jim Myers Gym(I think that's right), Zanesville......Winland Gymnasium, Warren......Warrior Dome, Piketon.......The Oven, Zane Trace........The Pit
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Great stuff as usual Trojandve. Have spent many a night in a lot of those gyms. One slight correction and one addition. To us old timers Waverlys gymy will always be known as Hawhees Palace. Southeasterns court is named after Legend Larry Jordan but not sure what the fans refer to it as.

IWatchFromTheStands
Waterboy

Post by IWatchFromTheStands »

4thgoal wrote:The old Wheelersburg gym was great. Even though both teams were on the same side, there was always plenty of room.

And of course the classic New Boston gym with the step in the corner.

I remember this.. lol how is that even allowed? lol

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

trojandave wrote:Many gyms have names or nicknames attached to them: Ironton......Conley Center, Waverly.......Downtown Gym, Chillicothe.......Hatton Gymnasium, Chesapeake.......Persin Court, Portsmouth.......Trojan Arena, Logan......Jim Myers Gym(I think that's right), Zanesville......Winland Gymnasium, Warren......Warrior Dome, Piketon.......The Oven, Zane Trace........The Pit
My favorite name is the Kiln at Crooksville.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Always like Logan's MS.....called The House Katie built....Still one of the best in southeastern. Ohio

back in the Day the best I was in was where Nelson/York plays now.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

noreply66 wrote:Always like Logan's MS.....called The House Katie built....Still one of the best in southeastern Ohio.
Yes, I well remember going to the first game ever in Logan MS. I think it was the first day of school the year it opened, 1994, to see my first ever(and my daughter's first ever, 7th grade) volleyball game. I remember being so impressed with that new school and gym. And have been back so many times over the years for volleyball and basketball games. Always have enjoyed going to Logan's fine facilities, and especially enjoyed the drive more and more since then as the route from Marietta improved as segments of new four lane highway opened.

Quite a contrast to I think the very next week to Gallipolis to see volleyball on the stage from from wooden auditorium seats below the floor, then back in the winter for baskeball on the same stage!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I like traveling to Logan Elm - the court is beautiful & the flag that "blows in the wind" when the National Anthem is played - priceless ... the House that Hawhee Built in Waverly is special, I love the midcourt scoreboard above centercourt ... Fairfield Union's court I like ... I think that should I be pressed to name the best in Logan - I like the Katie MS court the better of the 2 ... the Warrior Dome or Warrior Coliseum is a special place to watch a game as well ... Alexander's good as the Section Eight student section is at one end ... Peebles has a good atmosphere to watch a game - as there are always banners/signs supporting the team on the walls ... Jackson/Wellston I would lump together ... I enjoyed watching games at the Eagles Next in Beaver and Oak Hill as well ... let's face it there are very few gyms I don't like LOL - as long as there's a game happening between the out-of- bounds lines ALTHOUGH I am not a fan of the Sciotoville gym for Portsmouth East ... I'm starting a petition to have the Purple Hippo placed in the center of "any court" in SEOhio THAT would be the best around imo - just saying ...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

What is the gym like at Manchester? As a kid I remember the old school back up on 8th or 9th street. I haven't been inside the newer school that over looks the river. Been close to the new one while visiting my cousins [Rigdon's]. Logan's old lights and seats from the Hilltop were at the Manchester field the last I knew.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

4thgoal wrote:The old Wheelersburg gym was great. Even though both teams were on the same side, there was always plenty of room.

And of course the classic New Boston gym with the step in the corner.

If you touch the concrete, is it out of bounds :lol:

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

enigmaax wrote:Beallsville - Over-and-back is measured by getting the ball past half court and then not going back past the volleyball line nearest the basket you are defending. I think it is 6 steps from baseline to baseline. Hell, the 3-point line is in the parking lot (it legitimately goes out of bounds just below the foul line - no corner 3's).

Old Woodsfield - Was on a stage. As in, you could jump to save a ball from going out of bounds and fall a few feet below court level.
You surely remember my favorite, The Old School Gym....Bloomfield in Monroe Co.....then maybe only Steely Dan would remember that place. :o

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

rickoshay wrote:
enigmaax wrote:Beallsville - Over-and-back is measured by getting the ball past half court and then not going back past the volleyball line nearest the basket you are defending. I think it is 6 steps from baseline to baseline. Hell, the 3-point line is in the parking lot (it legitimately goes out of bounds just below the foul line - no corner 3's).

Old Woodsfield - Was on a stage. As in, you could jump to save a ball from going out of bounds and fall a few feet below court level.
You surely remember my favorite, The Old School Gym....Bloomfield in Monroe Co.....then maybe only Steely Dan would remember that place. :o
Oh rickoshay......:lol: Bloomfield was closed before I even started playing BB! Never made it to that gym. Beallsville's gym was very small, the only gym that I played in that I got to see any of my kids play ball in before they closed the old school. Shooters rims in that gym, very forgiving :D

And of course, being a Redskin alumni, playing on the stage in Woodstick brings back a lot of memories. Shooting 3's from the corner on the side of the stage closest to the seats was a real challenge, and the crowd couldn't see you, as you were behind the facade of the stage opening. Visited the gym last summer, it is in pretty bad shape now. Of course, the school has been closed for almost 23 years.

Always liked Skyvue's gym, not sure why, but really liked playing there. As for the best gym I've been in as an adult, I love the downtown gym in Waverly. Great place to watch a game. Enjoy The Fort (except for when they have the heat cranked up), and the Warrior dome as well.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Favorites I played on, as an opponent, were:
Watkins Memorial- huge court. I was so tired after that game.
Old Circleville middle school- this one is probably an odd one but I loved the atmosphere there.
The Barn- not a hs gym really, but absolutely loved playing on that floor.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Oh I totally forgot waverly. That place is awesome.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Most SEOP'ers will not remember Portsmouth's old Grant Gym. The place reeked of history. Hisle, Oliver, Battle and Lucas. The place reminded one of the old Boston Gardens. While seeing a game there you almost expected to see Red Auerbach pacing the sidelines.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Jackson...........plenty of parking.......plenty of seats...........plenty of good food... :!: :!:

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

A lot of the newer ones have small issues for me, either they are too cookie-cutter or have lighting issues for me with my sensitive eyes (lol). Newish ones that I really like; Fairfield Union, Peebles, Portsmouth, and Washington.

Waverly and Wilmington have similar designs and are really fan-friendly.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

For a big tournament matchup, there is nothing like Waverly when the place is rocking! Probably my favorite place to play all time.

Return to “Boys Basketball”