2010 National Hoops Classic at Wellston High School

Spartan
All Conference

Re: 2010 National Hoops Classic at Wellston High School

Post by Spartan »

You aint racist Kenny, but you sure are funny....

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

how do they get all of these top teams to come out in the middle of nowhere? why isn't this played in a larger city?

Nat'lHoopsClassic
Waterboy

Post by Nat'lHoopsClassic »

The Classic has a great reputation for getting the top teams in the country. For many years the Classic was held in places like Ohio University, Columbus and even Las Vegas. The top teams like to play where other top teams are playing.
This edition is one of the best schedules put together for may years. Wellston HS has a great facility, the Classic has a great reputation around the state and country and believe it or not the Wellston staff has alot to do with getting these teams to come to Wellston. They have alot of coaching contacts around the country and teams enjoy playing in their event. If you have never attended one of these events make plans to see some of the top events of its kind right here in Southeastern Ohio. This years edition will feature many of the top teams and individual players from around the state and country. Big crowds are necessary to keep these events afloat. Please make plans to support this years National Hoops Classic. Top individual player bios will be listed as the event gets closer.

whsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by whsfan »

Coach Lambert did a great job with the program. The basketball team was made of football and baseball players that didn't have much talent as a basketball team but he got the kids to beleive they could do it an brought some pride back to wellston. I agree it's over. I wish the kids good luck this year I hope wellston can turn this program around

Solomon
Freshman Team

Post by Solomon »

@nd_1 wrote:Why would you want to get someone in trouble for organizing one of the best tournaments in Ohio, and especially in the area. Are you just jealous because Jackson doesn't hold a tournament of this caliber?

Dear Sir or Madam, I am old school. I lived in a time when people were measure on their character not their pesonality, it meant something to have honor. That is why when some of my friends were running to college there were a lot of us signing up to do our service to our country on a small pennsiula in southeast asia, and there were some of my friends that didnt come back. So I believe that if you have done something wrong you pay the price and then work to gain the trust back, be a man of character, not of glitz and personality. I dont want anyone to do more than their punishment that has been given, but I also dont want that same person to lie to me and do it with a smile on their face. Also you people form Wellston quit messaging me, you dont know me, and you can guess all you want, I dont care about the adults that run the circus, I care about the kids who are innocence and soon will maybe have to make a choice like i did 40 some odd years ago, college, career or country. I hope they make the best possible choice for them selves.

whsfan wrote:Coach Lambert did a great job with the program. The basketball team was made of football and baseball players that didn't have much talent as a basketball team but he got the kids to beleive they could do it an brought some pride back to wellston. I agree it's over. I wish the kids good luck this year I hope wellston can turn this program around

I beleive also that coach Lambert done a great job with last years team, and i think it is a shame that he is not back if it is by his choosing then he had reasons and if he was ran off, well then some one is not a man of character.

CKIAF
Waterboy

Post by CKIAF »

To answer your comments and concerns - We have moved on! The basketball program is doing just fine - everyone here also bleeds blue and gold and why was the question brought up if you didn't want it answered? This thread is about the National Hoops Classic - lets stay with that topic. IE - Luckyman00 - this is the only poster that ever brings up this situation, and for Luckyman00 to insinuate that the program is in shambles because this person or that person chose not to coach is totally unfair. The kids are working hard, the coaches are working hard and we are trying very hard to improve. We will not let Luckymans00 negativity or any one elses expected negative comments affect the way we do are business. We know and expect the same few posters who have continuously kicked us when we were down, continue to do it. You know what they always say "misery loves company". In fact, these negative comments are only making us stronger. As was stated before, every one has moved on and I think its time to put this topic to rest.

In response to WHSfan - There was plenty of pride in the program when Coach Derrow and Coach Lambert coached together. The system was in place and they had a great pre-season. To say that the program was made of football and basketball players - I dont get that. They were 1-1 when when the suspension happened and they finished 7-14. I don hardly think they this is a very fair assement. They had one of the best preseasons they have had in a long time. Coach L and the kids were put in a terrible situation gave a great effort but didnt have as much success as they wanted and what they thought they were going to have at the beginning of the season. The point is when you lose your best player and your head coach it became very difficult to succeed and they gave a great effort and they are to be commended for their effort. But, that is over and we must move on.
Last edited by CKIAF on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BasketballFan1
Riding the Bench

Post by BasketballFan1 »

looks like a good line-up. Should be a good show for a couple of days. Hopefully I can make it down a day or two.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I might have to head down to Wellston for at least 1 day of that!!

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

whatever happen to the coaxial basketball tournament they used to have in columbus? i remember when i was in 8th grade we played in that tourny against a school from greensboro north carolina

Nat'lHoopsClassic
Waterboy

This is the same tournament. The sponsor used to be Coaxial Television from Columbus. The tournament was called the Coaxial National Hoops Classic and it was held at Battelle Hall. The event is now held at the 2200 seat gym at The Wellston High School, the host school.
This is a perfect size for the event. Great crowds most of the day and with people coming and going most of the day this size facility works great. This is the second time in the history of the Classic that we have scheduled games for three consecutive days. This is a basketball junkies dream. You get to see teams that you seldom get an opportunity to see and also many future Collegiate and NBA players. Hope to see at this years event.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Nat'lHoopsClassic wrote:This is the same tournament. The sponsor used to be Coaxial Television from Columbus. The tournament was called the Coaxial National Hoops Classic and it was held at Battelle Hall. The event is now held at the 2200 seat gym at The Wellston High School, the host school.
This is a perfect size for the event. Great crowds most of the day and with people coming and going most of the day this size facility works great. This is the second time in the history of the Classic that we have scheduled games for three consecutive days. This is a basketball junkies dream. You get to see teams that you seldom get an opportunity to see and also many future Collegiate and NBA players. Hope to see at this years event.

thanks

barnyard bobby
Waterboy

Post by barnyard bobby »

I just wanted to say that I feel this event is back at full force, I remember the days at Batelle Hall and this year's classic is top-notch. The organizers did a great job putting this event together

I just wondered if anyone has information on the out-of-state teams. Maybe last years records or any top preps on those teams.

Also, will there be the possibility to buy 2 or 3 day passes?

FLASH-G
Riding the Bench

Post by FLASH-G »

Solomon wrote:As a Jackson fan, I remember Coach Bruce Hurst, Max Morrow and Chad Carpenter saying that they would never play in this event again and would never play a Jim Derrow coached team ever again, because of the homer job two years ago. I guess Larry the Legend hasn't had the pleasure of meeting Tommy Waldron yet.

Now that's funny is he in the wellston's hall of shame most victory's

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Good to see Eastern Pike getting to play in the Classic. Should be good experience and exposure. Anybody know anything about Charleston Catholic?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Eastern probably had some SUPERsize pull to get into this tourney!

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

what or who is the supersize pull?

FLASH-G
Riding the Bench

Post by FLASH-G »

@nd_1 wrote:Why would you want to get someone in trouble for organizing one of the best tournaments in Ohio, and especially in the area. Are you just jealous because Jackson doesn't hold a tournament of this caliber?

Seems to me that Coach Derrow had this at O.U. for a few years and for some reason it was changed to Columbus for a few years wore out his welcome there also and now its at Wellston. Does the kids of wellston deserve this.

Nat'lHoopsClassic
Waterboy

Do the kids of Wellston deserve this? What kind of question is that? The kids of Wellston get to play against two top teams and watch 13 other great games in their own gym. Twenty-one top high school teams are traveling to Wellston to play in this event. Your comment is really off base Flash-G. The reasons that the event is not held at OU - Columbus and you even forgot Las Vegas is because of many different circumstances. The biggest reason that is held in Wellston is because of Wellstons nice facility. Back in the days of Columbus and OU , Wellstons gym was a tiny stage and seated around 800 with only about 200 who could actually see the games. Now they have a spacious 2200 seat facility that is perfect for this type of event. The kids of Wellston and the organizers are very proud of this event and especially since it is held in their home town.
One more thing - the event did not wear out its welcome at any site. The event could be moved to just about any venue in the country because of its outstanding history. There are many reasons why the event was moved and none was because the event or anyone associated with the event wore out their welcome. Each move was made to make the event stronger. Hope this answers your statement that was really off base.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I remember attending quite a few of these when it was in Columbus and always enjoyed seeing all the talent from around the nation. I got see quite a few kids over the years that went on to have great college and pro careers, including LeBron twice. It hasn't been as nice of a tourney since it went to Wellston, but this years lineup looks to have some top notch competition going up against each other. At least this year we won't have to watch Wellston get beat by 98 points by Oak Hill Academy.

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

What are the big names that are coming to the tournament this year? Who to watch for.

Return to “Boys Basketball”