Burg Freshman

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Re: Burg Freshman

Post by burgpirater »

BURGerandfries wrote:
Pocket Aces wrote:HC Ater is one of the top five HS coaches in SEO IMO
His knowledge of the game is through the roof, I won't deny that. But his lack of managerial skills and his ability to burn bridges wherever he is at really, really hurts him. Everywhere he has been so far, the number of athletes in the program have drastically dropped. That has to tell you something...
This is spot on. He's went where he's had stud athletes, and left when the talent was drying up. That alone makes you look like a better coach. I know several kids who refuse to play for him already, and my sons friends at SW said the majority of former players and assistants couldn't stand him because he was all about himself and not the kids.
BURGerandfries wrote:
fbnut wrote:
BURGerandfries wrote:
His knowledge of the game is through the roof, I won't deny that. But his lack of managerial skills and his ability to burn bridges wherever he is at really, really hurts him. Everywhere he has been so far, the number of athletes in the program have drastically dropped. That has to tell you something...
You could say the same thing about the burgs previous coach. The burgs problem is that football and baseball have blown up. The burg has athletes but they lack basketball players.
Go ask majority of the players, that played for Barrick, what they thought of him. They LOVE him. He is a great coach. We were absolutely stupid for getting rid of him. The problem was....this younger generation and their parents can't handle someone yelling at their kids and being intense. The issue wasn't with Barrick.
SPOT ON AGAIN!! My son loved playing for Tom, and I have the utmost respect for him. I'm thankful he was my sons coach and always will be. He was hard on my son at times, but my son learned a lot through him --- not just basketball, but LIFE!

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

burgpirate - I totally agree Tom was a good guy and I respect him a lot.

IBTT - you talk about transfers being from Ironton? Seriously? You mean the Lawrence County all stars?

The best three players for Ironton freshmen team are all transfers, Bryant, Large, and Gunther. You don't see Chesapeake needing transfers or Fairland and both will beat Ironton in the OVC the next three years, not to mention Portsmouth is always a favorite and has had much more success than Ironton the past few years.

And as for football, you are the same guy that predicted a 38-0 shut out if I recall and our team was going to be "literally terrified" of your defense. How did that work out for you, we have owned your butts for five straight games and a few have been embarrassing. From the looks of the Ironton roster, they will be lucky to win 6 games the next 2 seasons in football, the kitchen is empty, no talent. Ironton football is heading in the same direction as the baseball program. We don't even want to play Ironton in baseball it is so bad.

Evidently you can't spot talent. To compare OJ Mayo to anyone else around here is idiotic. The kid was one and done. No one else around here other than Holden will even come close to getting a decent D1 offer let alone be 1 and done.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

IBTT wrote:
Buramgerdin wrote:PirateBaller, I don't that is too much to ask at all. Portsmouth always has a team, so they will have tot go through Portsmouth the next four years, but I just don't see anyone else putting up a fight at all against Burg until they get out of the region. Peake has a strong program and always develops players, but I don't see Ironton improving at all as the kids have quit growing already.
Glad you have all the answers. TW at Ironton who recently broke his ankle was told by the Marshall Team Doctor who did his surgery that he had 2 - 2 1/2 inches of growth to go. EW has grown two inches this year. RB grew four inches this year. The rest of the kids are all at or right at 6 foot.

If I was looking at the area schools in Scioto and Lawrence county after this year I would have to say Ironton is the strongest team in the area for years to come. Fairland and Chesepeake would be next followed by Portsmouth who always will find a way to win with Eugene coaching them.

This year Portsmouth is the early on favorite, but I believe Chesepeake, Fairland and Ironton all will have a shot at them.

I seriously doubt burg will be mentioned in any talk over the next 4-5 years about being in the top area basketball teams even if Holden turns into an OJ Mayo.

After the transfer rule comes into effect next season I doubt wheelersburg will see any playoff wins in football for a while either. That is if what I was told tonight was at all true. Division 2. :o
Under the new transfer rule burg would need 40 boys to move in and every boy in the school would have to live outside of burg in order to move up to div 2 in football.
Burg was only a couple boys away from div6 this year. Burg won't be affected more or less than most schools in the area. I think it will hit the big city private schools pretty hard.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

A few of you on here are doing growth charts on kids who are just about to get a drivers license. In five years, we won't hear from you. I've seen them all play. They all are d3 or lower talent. Holden has a chance at a small d 1 because he will get about 6 6 but he can't shoot and he's not explosive. If anyone saw an Anthony Davis type or Derrick rose type, you would have known it immediately.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

wobycat wrote:A few of you on here are doing growth charts on kids who are just about to get a drivers license. In five years, we won't hear from you. I've seen them all play. They all are d3 or lower talent. Holden has a chance at a small d 1 because he will get about 6 6 but he can't shoot and he's not explosive. If anyone saw an Anthony Davis type or Derrick rose type, you would have known it immediately.
Agreed, I think he has a better chance at a division 1 scholarship in football. It takes much more than just looking like a basketball player. For the last two years Irontons E. Wilson has destroyed him in both meetings as they have defended each other. I believe he will get more agressive and be more of a force, but some kid's lightbulb never goes off. He has plenty of tools in his toolbox, just how can he use them when he plays the tough competition. So far against Ironton he hasn't fared well at all. Still plenty of time left though. But that is there too for all the other kids who have already been having success at the lower levels.

Bugatti
Riding the Bench

Post by Bugatti »

He is a talent. Playing varsity basketball is a step up for this young man. When a faster, stronger guard gets on him hard he will have trouble at first. Then he will eventually dominate the area. Good luck to all of our local schools this season

Falconfan14
Riding the Bench

Post by Falconfan14 »

if the over/under for Burg SOC championships in the next 4 years was 1.5 I'm definitely taking the under.

BURGerBoy
Waterboy

Post by BURGerBoy »

wobycat wrote:A few of you on here are doing growth charts on kids who are just about to get a drivers license. In five years, we won't hear from you. I've seen them all play. They all are d3 or lower talent. Holden has a chance at a small d 1 because he will get about 6 6 but he can't shoot and he's not explosive. If anyone saw an Anthony Davis type or Derrick rose type, you would have known it immediately.
First off, if I was Head Coach Ater and Dad/Assistant CoachHolden, I'd print off this above information and post it above Tanner's locker. "Can't shoot, not explosive." - "wobycat" . Nothing like some quality motivation.

Second off, I've been a long time lurker on the old site and have followed "wobycat" posts both old and new site. I just don't see the need to always be so negative towards some of Burg's sports programs. So just who is this "Wheelersburg fan" "Wobycat"? Ole "Wobycat" is sometimes negative sometimes positive towards football, always negative towards burg basketball (both genders!),and positive and very informative about soccer (both genders!). Thanks for soccer scores all season (seriously!). Also, you seem to have good knowledge of Ironton sports as well as referenced in above quote as having seen all of them as just one example.

Third off, Maybe It'd be easier to just google wobycat some day and find out who it is rather than playing tick tack toe connect the dots. Then I could let Rodney And Tanner Holden know what "wobycat" thinks of Tanner's basketball skills and Wheelersburg sports programs in general.

Fourth off: Good luck to Coach Ater, his staff, and the boys basketball team this year! The "true fans" of Wheelersburg know you are well behind the 8 ball with losing a lot of your players (starters) for 3-5 weeks due to our outstanding football team still going. Having said that, us true fans also know what an exciting time it is for Wheelersburg Boys Basketball as we welcome in a star Freshman to go with some players from last year in Coleman, Kyle Davis, and a handful of juniors that could really emerge onto the scene. Good luck to all of the Burg Basketball players and Coach Ater this year.

Lastly, I challenge the young man Holden to prove ole wobycat wrong for 4 straight years. Be Explosive and Be a great shooter!

Pirate Baller
Waterboy

Post by Pirate Baller »

Why all the ironton talk on this thread? Back to Holden. He the real deal

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

Pirate Baller wrote:Why all the ironton talk on this thread? Back to Holden. He the real deal
Easy, IBTT is a jealous dad and can't seem to stand for any kid to get attention other than his. That is why he is constantly talking about how great his is. One day the doctor says he is going to be 6'8 and the next he is going to be 6'4" when in reality he is probably not going to reach 6'0" because right now he isn't 6'2". If he is 6'2" then Holden is 6'6" because he is 4" taller than IBTT's son.

IBTT seems to have to interject himself in every Burg thread. His prognostication skills are legendary. We are always going to get beat and often badly then after the game is over and we have soundly thumped the piss out of them he is silent for a few weeks. Just typical of IBTT and his Ironton blinders.

BURGISTHEWORD
Waterboy

Post by BURGISTHEWORD »

How did the scrimmage go tonight?

WhoFalconCares
Waterboy

Post by WhoFalconCares »

How did Holden do?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

WhoFalconCares wrote:How did Holden do?
I'm guessing no football players have even practiced yet.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I'm afraid a lot of people are expecting way to much this year from a freshman. He's going to be very good but he needs to get a lot stronger to dominate at the highschool level.

olegoat50
Freshman Team

Post by olegoat50 »

lol those 3 freshman someone mentioned from Ironton are not only transfers but 2 of them are not freshman...Lets call it like it is...they were held back in 8th grade... Not sure about the Gunther boy.... .Ironton and wheelersburg have both benifited the most from transfers over the years.....Heck wheerlersburg has dominated little league baseball over the years by kids getting waivers which should never have been allowed .... Ironton benifited in football for years with transfers.... Everyone has talked for years about burg coaches in baseball and ironton coaches in football as the reason of their success.... nope it's been the talent that moved in to play there....

BURGISTHEWORD
Waterboy

Post by BURGISTHEWORD »

Burg team will be young and in football mode for a while. They will be fine by mid-season.

Burg baseball won by getting "waivers which should have never been allowed?" I don't believe that's true.

olegoat50
Freshman Team

Post by olegoat50 »

No Dr. can look at a kid and say he's going to grow 2 half inches more...impossible... they have growth charts that take Mom and Dads size into consideration but that's not an exact science.....

olegoat50
Freshman Team

Post by olegoat50 »

Burgistheword I'm not getting on here and arguing with you about this...I know for a fact that Burg has had kids for last several years who should have never played little league baseball there..... Everyone in Scioto and Lawrence county who have had kids play know this...It's called stacking a team.....

BURGISTHEWORD
Waterboy

Post by BURGISTHEWORD »

Agree OG50...i'm not arguing with you either, especially for you to bring it up on this basketball forum...it's nonsense though

has_been
Waterboy

Post by has_been »

Why did Coach Ater close the scrimmage to outsiders? Some fans at Green are mad because they showed up to watch a high school scrimmage and were not allowed in the gym. Dont ever remember this happening before...

Return to “Boys Basketball”