12/13 #2 Vinton County @ #9 Athens

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: 12/13 #2 Vinton County @ #9 Athens

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens not pressing was a big mistake the first half. Oh well, I'd rather lose to them now then come tournament time. Vinton and Warren always light it up in Athens.

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

If Athens had pressed in the first half the margin would have been bigger, VC too good to be pressed effectively for very long, especially early in the game.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

SportsRule wrote:If Athens had pressed in the first half the margin would have been bigger, VC too good to be pressed effectively for very long, especially early in the game.
Did the press cause turnovers?

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

thebarlowbandit wrote:
SportsRule wrote:If Athens had pressed in the first half the margin would have been bigger, VC too good to be pressed effectively for very long, especially early in the game.
Did the press cause turnovers?
IMO, VC really didn't have much trouble getting the ball across the timeline when Athens pressed. They did, however, take some bad shots and make some unforced turnovers in the 3rd Qtr. Bartoe and Jones both had strong games for The Vikes. This team plays fast and has a multitude of kids that can score. Their defense isn't too shabby either.

How many points did Griffin Lutz have?

It was nice talking with pfloyd in the media cheap seats too. 8-)

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Lutz had 20
Jones had 23, Bartoe 22, and Yates had 15.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Raider6309 wrote:Lutz had 20
Sounds like VC did a good job of putting the clamp on Lutz
I think this VC team will be 22-0

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Athens is just not on VCs level this year. Vikes have too many weapons. VC once again runs away with the TVC

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I had Lutz - 20
Bartoe - 24
Jones - 23
yates - 15

Vikings were just too good tonight. They are a group of grizzled veterans who have been through the fire, and are not only darn good basketball players, but have big game experience. Athens on the other hand is really young, had three sophs on the floor a lot tonight and don't really have any big game experience at all. Not only that, playing just their third game under a new coach.

I think it will be a much better contest the second go around.

With that being said, we ordered our state tournament tix on Monday - so nothing would make me happier than to see the Vikes make the final four. I think they have the talent, the coach, it just all depends if they survive the district and get the right match-up in the regionals.
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Poo Bear wrote:
Raider6309 wrote:Lutz had 20
Sounds like VC did a good job of putting the clamp on Lutz
It's so hard to go undefeated, having the target on your back every night out and having to perform at or near your A game every time out is really difficult. However, this Vikings team definitely has the tools to do so. Great coaching, great depth, several scoring options, outstanding ballhandlers, very good defensively too.

After watching them firsthand, I'll be pulling for Coach Combs and the Vikings to pull it off.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Poo Bear wrote: Sounds like VC did a good job of putting the clamp on Lutz
That would be cool if they did. VC has Chillicothe, Miami Trace, Athens, and Logan twice. Logan always gives VC trouble

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

Athens was outmatched in just about every aspect of the game last night. I thought Coach Cozart looked overwhelmed at times, but that comes with being a new coach. I think Lutz is still the best player in the league, but he was outplayed by Bartoe. Of course Bartoe has the better team around him and doesn't have to take as much on his shoulders. I can't see anyone challenging VC in the league this season. They are very very good. Athens is a good team, just young. They'll miss Griffin next season. The Chubb kid was okay last night, nothing too special. Cozart hit a couple of decent shots, but he is just too small to be really strong out there. Good luck to both teams the rest of the way.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

I was really surprised to see VC win by such a large margin on Athens home court. I thought with the athletes Athens can put on the floor they would be able to keep this game closer than 20.

Good luck to everyone the rest of the year.

Go TVC!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

VC ate that pressure defense up! They were just to quick. I agree that the Athens coach was overwhelmed at times during the game.
I think the rematch at VC will be closer.
Athens knows what they did wrong and a few things that worked (at times).
I really did think this would be a much closer game.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Co zart wasn't overwhelmed, he knew what needed to be done in order to beat VC. Its just a very tall task executing against a team as good & quick as vinton county.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Orange and Brown wrote:VC ate that pressure defense up! They were just to quick. I agree that the Athens coach was overwhelmed at times during the game.
I think the rematch at VC will be closer.
Athens knows what they did wrong and a few things that worked (at times).
I really did think this would be a much closer game.

There is a huge difference between "pressure" defense and good defense (as you know O&B). VC plays good defense, Athens just ran at the ball, and gave up penetration all night long. The simple 2-3 is Jr. High level, and the 2-3 with the running at the ball when it crosses half court is biddy ball defense. Against bad teams that "pressure" defense will cause havoc, but against good teams it will create more scoring opportunities than it prevents. Athens had zero help side defense, they chased all night long, and they allowed penetration from every player at pretty much anytime.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

93Bulldog wrote:Co zart wasn't overwhelmed, he knew what needed to be done in order to beat VC. Its just a very tall task executing against a team as good & quick as vinton county.

VC made several runs where I thought Cozart should have called timeouts. I just saw him throw his hands up (which to be honest, VC will make you do that). First quarter when VC hit a 3 to go up 18-8, I thought a timeout would stop the bleeding..There was only like 30 seconds left in the quarter, but I think VC hit another 3 in that span. The game was over then. Athens never got back within 10. There was also a run in the 4th quarter where VC went up like 13 or 15 with 5+ minutes to go where I thought if Cozart could still believe they could win, he should have taken a TO..

I'm not a coach and I'm sure these guys are much much smarter than me, but that was just my thinking.

Athens_Bulldogs
Waterboy

Post by Athens_Bulldogs »

Well, lasts nights game was an eye opener for sure. I thought we would be more competitive than what we were. I was extremely surprised of vinton county. I hadn't got to see them play yet this year. I honestly didn't think that they would be better than they were last year. After losing Albright who was a consistent guard for them and big chase wood down low and Mcntire out for season?? I thought no way! But boy was I wrong! Bartoe is obviously an outstanding guard he could go toe to toe with Lutz any day IMO. He lacks some of griffins speed and athletic ability but he makes up with it with his shooting ability and his way to finish around the rim. They both have excellent basketball IQ. But along with Bartoe Vinton county has a guard in Derick Jones who was some what of a silent assasin last night. That boy can shoot the ball, and he feeds off of Bartoe very well. These two ball players have played together for a long time and you can tell on the court. And then you add in Naylan Yates who is a tall guard, with athletic body who can also shoot out the lights. 6'8 Bryce damron and 6'3 Eli Griffith, are a very good presence down low. And then mister Jake Speakman who was very impressive last night as well. He can attack the rim with the rest of them. This team has a real shot to make it to final four this year IMO. But as for Athens Griffen had an off night. He missed quite a few mid range pull ups that are usually money. As an Athens fan I'm not as upset as I usually am because this is a young team. VC too much for us this early in the season. It will be a better game in McArthur. I beilieve cozart going to have to get himself open and make some plays for us to be able to pull one off in McArthur and another solid game from Lutz. The only thing I wouldn't do if I was Athens is plan a man defense on this vinton county team. I was a little nervous when we came out in that. No way we're matching with VC like that. Great game to VC, can't wait till the rematch in McArthur!

Let's go Dogs

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

There is no way Athens' coach was not overwhelmed. He's a first year high school coach in his third game facing his first real test. He was also facing one of the top high school coaches in this part of the state. No amount of youth league coaching can prepare you for that. He is also a victim of circumstances. Athens can win most games on their schedule simply because they have better players than the other teams. So most games not much coaching is needed. As another poster stated a few years ago, an empty chair could coach the Athens players. So when they do face a great coach who also has some talented players it has to be tough to adjust and actually coach. I'm sure he'll get better, and the team will as well. But for this game he was in over his head.

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.

Return to “Boys Basketball”