South Webster

SENDEM
All Conference

Re: South Webster

Post by SENDEM »

He was Assisant Baseball Coach in 06 ! Coach Cole would be my choice with Rhea his assisant. Both are Young an Aggresive with Cole having the expirence in the Big games.

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

Jeep80: not only are you out of the loop, but you must be off the planet. ha ha. I remember coach cole was there for at least six seasons with coach claxon, all soc championships, and three seasons with baseball.

That combo sounds good Cole with Rhea, from what I have heard through the grapevine Coach Bradley is back on board with Cole. Bradley has done so much with basketball period it is impossible to list out, he was also an assistant with Kreischer 04,05,06. For those of you out of the loop. Ha Ha

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

That would be a heck of a staff if true. Like I said earlier, when I heard Brenton Cole left Reese's staff and the reasons why, I was officially worried about the direction of the basketball program. I think him, along with Bradley, would be the closest Webster could get to having a Kreischer-clone on the sidelines again at Webster. That defensive mindset and overall intensity would be back. I guarantee there'd never be any questions of whether the coach actually cares about what's going on out on the floor.

I know Brenton doesn't have any varsity head coaching experience, but he'd be someone that would be committed to the Webster program for as long as they wanted him there.*

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Yes Keagan I am way out of the loop. But I am working on a plan that will get me back up there and being "back in the loop" with the Jeeps sports scene. I didn't even know South webster had a new coach when Kreisher was hired. I just happened to look on OSHAA.ORG in Feb. of coach K's first year and was stunned to see the Jeeps as no. 1 seed with a 17-3 record. I called Sherry Bobst and she told me the story of Aldridge, Kreisher etc. and for the next 4 years I stayed more in touch than ever. Now I want to stay more in touch because I believe the teams from Southern Ohio are catching up with the teams up North and can start competeing for state titles where before, the teams up North were just far too advanced. Now I am excited about the future of South Webster basketball and can envision a trip to the Regionals every few years. And maybe even sneak back into the Final 4 if the breaks fall their way. Where as before, we couldn't even get out of the Sectional. Nothing is impossible to me now. But we need the right coach to pull it off. It sounds like Cole may be the guy. If he was right there with Coach K. then he knows how to mold a winning team.
Art, I heard that Bradley had no interest in coaching and planned to quit anyway. Maybe my source was wrong.

Watcher
Waterboy

Post by Watcher »

Bradley will not be back. He only coached in the first place because he knew they would be good. When he was asked about coaching with coach K his first question was "are we going to be any good". Fair weather coaches need not apply. For Cole, don't forget it is easy to look good as an assistant to a good coach that does everything and is loaded with talent. I think the administration will dig a little deeper for a coach and be able to find a better one.

Champs2006
Waterboy

Post by Champs2006 »

Wow, a lot of speculation... this is sweet!

However, I have talked with Coach Bradley so let me clear some things up concerning him. Many do not know that he didn't even want to coach the year the Jeeps won state. He came along only to help Coach K in his first couple years of coaching. Because of his friendship with Coach Kreischer and Coach Cole, he stayed on in 2005-2006.

As far as the "fair weather coach" comment, no one knew at the beginning of the 2003-2004 if the team would finish .500 or make it to State like they did, nor was it certain that the 2006 team would win. They had talent, but let's give the staff their due. Webster has had tons of talent in the past and never won State. With Coach K, Coach B, and Coach Cole, they only lost 8 games with the three of them on the sidelines. I would take 2 of those 3 any day!

BRADLEY HAS TOLD ME DIRECTLY, he has no intention of applying for the HEAD COACHING position but if Brenton were to get the job, he WOULD be his assistant. From what I understand, he and Brenton are close. He also said that he likes Coach Rhea and thinks highly of him as well.

I echo Art Vandelay's assessment of that staff!

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

They might dig alittle deeper an find someone, thats true. I just hope that they give Coach Cole a chance to prove himself. Like I've heard several times before, that the Assisant has been behind the head coach an knows his system, Coach K, so he should get a chance. But that didnt happen that time, so I think it is time that HE DOES!!! jmo

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

Jeep80: Just like joking you man. I remember reading your posts on the other website, during tournament run and I really enjoyed the posts, just thought maybe you read the back of some of your shirts.

Yes, I think "they" will dig alittle deeper I recall last time all the debate on here and maybe I am wrong but I don't think anyone posted earliy on that Coach Reese would be a great canidate for the job. Nothing against Coach Reese from what I heard he is a great guy and really wanted to do well at webster. Just thinking what that digging did.

What if Coach K, Coach B, and Coach Cole all would return????????????

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

Coach Reese is a SUPER NICE GUY, an knows Basketball very well. I just think its hard for a Coach to come from college back to high school, were u have to use alot of the, SHORT, time u have in practice to work on basic stuff.

sportsfanatic3
Waterboy

Post by sportsfanatic3 »

Keagan wrote:Jeep80: not only are you out of the loop, but you must be off the planet. ha ha. I remember coach cole was there for at least six seasons with coach claxon, all soc championships, and three seasons with baseball.

That combo sounds good Cole with Rhea, from what I have heard through the grapevine Coach Bradley is back on board with Cole. Bradley has done so much with basketball period it is impossible to list out, he was also an assistant with Kreischer 04,05,06. For those of you out of the loop. Ha Ha

LOL @ THIS.. Of course jeep80 isn't in the loop, he lives in Texas. What the hell do you expect? A full run-down of Webster's programs and players? Okay..

Two, never knew you were so 'in-the-loop' with the basketball program. Did you play in High School? Do you even work at the school? No.

Joking or not, there's no reason to take shots at jeep80 because I can guarantee you he's more of a Jeep Basketball Fan than you are. He cares more about the program than 90% of the people in Webster do.. TRUST ME, I've talked to the guy on a regular basis.

As to "those of you out of the loop," since only certified, special, and authorized people are allowed 'in it', yes Bradley would be the Assistant if Brenton got the head coaching job. That would leave the JV job open, and I would be all for Rhea getting that (Although I have no clue if he would want to be an Assistant again etc).

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

Ouch sorry, I just used his own words "the loop stuff". I thought it was funny. I know jeep80 is all about it, I said I read his posts on the other thread. I just heard something interesting some of the kids at school saw Pedas getting shown around??? Anyone else heard that???

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Thanks sportsfanatic3, but I know Keagan was just playin around. You're right though, I am one of the most passionate Jeeps fans on the planet. I would be helping Coach Johnson with stats if I was up there. I am looking forward to the day when I can go to all the games. It's a lot of fun.
I don't think alot of folks realize how much Coach K. charged the Jeep fanbase. We had never been a District champ until he showed up and then, bam! 4 straight District titles, 2 final four's and a state title! Now I believe that South Webster can be a player on the state stage. Not every year of course, but I now believe our kids have the talents to compete from time to time if they are just shown how to win. Coach K. started that. We need someone now to continue it. The last two years were embarrasing to me as a Jeep fan. The players gave everything they had, but I don't think the coach wanted to be a Jeep or understood what Coach K had started. We have some really good young kids who are hungry to win. I could see it on their faces when they played. They were there watching Wags, Aldridge, Lower, Fenton, Campbell, etc. as kids and they wanted their chance to keep it going. Unfortunatley, Coach K. left and now we have to recapture that. And it will take a coach who understands that defense is what wins. You don't outscore teams, you keep them from scoring. Coach K. understood that and got his team to believe it. If that isn't the new coaches philosophy, then we will not get back on the state stage again ever! You HAVE to have a great defense first!
I'm still looking forward to seeing SF3 as a Jeep coach one day! :-D

I used to post alot at the "other" site Keagan, but almost all of the Jeep posters left there and came over here. I know there are a few left, but not many. Plus at that time I was not working and had time to go to several games. After I found a new job I was on the outside again.

So who is Pedas? Is he local?

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

jeep80 wrote:So who is Pedas? Is he local?

I would like to know that myself.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Perdas is a 2000 graduate of Webster. Great kid. If I recall correctly, he played jv ball for Webster, but not varsity. Has coached j.v. at Notre Dame and been an assistant at OU-Ironton and currently an assistant with the SSU girls program.

I'm sure he has learned a great deal from Robin Hagen Smith and would be another guy who'd probably be at Webster for a long while if given the job.

Sort of off-topic, but has anyone seen the new enrollment figures for Webster and if they'll remain D4? I was talking to a coach the other day who was of the opinion that Webster is one of the best jobs in the area so long as they stay D4, but nowhere close if back in D3. According to him, Oak Hill was going to be D3 again next year, and he said he heard Webster would be right around the cutoff point.*

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

I doubt that Webster will goD3 anytime in the future. This year's graduating class has less than 70 and I know the rest of the classes don't have a whole lot more.

sportsfanatic3
Waterboy

Post by sportsfanatic3 »

bump now that the season is over.. should get interesting..

Champs2006
Waterboy

Post by Champs2006 »

I had heard that the job was supposed to be posted by the State Tournament. (Congrats, Norm and Oaks by the way!) Has there been any interviews or any other interested applicants yet?

I know open gyms should either be starting or have started. It would be nice if the kids had some kind of direction heading this spring to get a jump on the summer/next season. Especially for the players who do not play spring sports.

BIG POPPA
Freshman Team

Post by BIG POPPA »

I think Coach Cole and Coach B would be great for the program. Brenton is a pretty sharp BBALL mind as is coach B they helped coach K tremendously in getting the jeeps to state in 04 and i'm sure just as big a part in 06. regardless of who comes on board I wish them well and hopefully the jeeps climb out of the bad times.

wolley07
Riding the Bench

Post by wolley07 »

I am going to take up for Coach Reese from what was said him looking for a job at Cedarville. He is going back to CU but not as a coach, from what I hear he is going back as a grounds keeper. Cedarville's current Coach is Pat Estepp (Jeep alum) who is there for the long stay.

I also think that Coach Cole should have had the job right after Marc left. He was the best choice, and would be nice to see him take on the command of a young jeep team.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Brenton Cole should have had the job as soon as Kreisher stepped down. A system was in place, Brenton and the players both new the system and it would have been a smooth transition. Too many young players to throw such a change up at them. I also think some politics got in the way of making a good decision. But what you gonna do.

Return to “Boys Basketball”