South Webster

----
Freshman Team

Re: South Webster

Post by ---- »

No coach is going to get an SOC team on the state level year after year, it just doesnt happen. It takes a year with all the right ingredients. A coach who is good and a team that is loaded. Only the big schools do u see in it year after year.....

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Travis Bradford would be an excellent choice if he is interested in this position. His name has come up for various jobs in the area over the last few years, but he seems to be very satisfied where he is at East. He has all the qualities I would want my son to play for and East is very fortunate that he is there and has stayed there over the course of the last few years.

Best of luck to South Webster on filling this position and getting a good leader for the kids and community.

Watcher
Waterboy

Post by Watcher »

Keagan, over the hump was a figure of speech same as out of the hole. I will choose my words more carefully next time. I forgot this is a site where people take your words to heart and put their spin on them to enhance their point of view. I'm not advocating for one of Websters administrators to get the position, but couldn't one of them do it though? Come on, they have two administrators for a building of two hundred kids, I think they could handle it. Out of the names mentioned so far Shane Rhea would be the best choice, he could at least draw from the experiences of his father and receive some sound advice from him. I only say Shane right now because he is already in the district as an employee. Bradford would be good if they had a position open for him. The coach needs to be in the district, should be in the high school if possible. Openings will dictate some of this.

_____
Waterboy

Post by _____ »

WO,WO,WO,WO, WOO!!!!!! Since all you guys want to make your "campaign" for your coach's. I guess its fair that i make mine. BRENTON COLE, WHY HAVEN'T I HEARD HIS NAME POP UP MORE IN THIS DISCUSSION? He is the perfect fit for the job. He's a South Webster ALum assisatant coach of a div. four state championship team. What i heard the kids really like him as well. Any one in their right mind would hire this guy. I believe he should have got the job a couple years ago but didn't.

old jeep
Waterboy

Post by old jeep »

Like others have posted, I think job openings will play the biggest part in this search for a new coach. Besides being a "Webster alum" doesn't guarantee success at the school. I know of another "Webster alum" who I think has coached the JV's at New Boston for years.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

________: Brenton has been mentioned as a possible candidate by a couple of people above (including myself). I think he would be a solid hire if he was interested. Like others have said though, alot of it's going to depend on what teaching positions are open as they'll fill it from inside before they'd go with a non-employee. If I recall correctly, Reese is the physical education teacher, so that position should be open.

But again, based on Rhea already currently being in the system, I would say that makes him the current front-runner for the position if he is interested. Brett Roberts mentioned in the PDT article that they'd be posting it at the state tournament, so I wouldn't expect a hire until April at the earliest. But the sooner the better as open gym begins in April and summer ball will be right around the corner.*

Primetime
Waterboy

Post by Primetime »

I still think that Coach Bradford would be a great fit anywhere (East, South Webster, Minford, etc.). However, it sounds like South Webster will be in good hands if they decide to go with Rhea or Coach Cole (if he is interested).

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I know Shane Rhea personally and South Webster would benefit from him being the coach. He is a great guy and he knows the game. Plus he's young and if treated right could be there for quite some time. I hope he is given some consideration for the job.

sportsfanatic3
Waterboy

Post by sportsfanatic3 »

I truly hope Brenton puts his name in.

Webster needs Brenton to coach again.

Champs2006
Waterboy

Post by Champs2006 »

Long time reader, first time poster...

I have to agree with sportsfanatic3 . Brenton Cole bleeds red and black. No one would work harder to bring back the Webster basketball that we have become accustomed to. He has the knowledge and the experience and has learned the ropes from Coach K and Coach B during the state run in '06. He also, from what I hear, may already have a staff in place, if he were given the opportunity.

The players and parents all seem to like Coach Cole and some would have liked to have seen Brenton get the job 2 years ago.

There is talent on this team... no way should they have been 3-17 for 2 straight years. Defense needs to be stressed as they have gotten away from what made them successful, but most importantly, Webster pride needs to be revived.

softballlife16
Waterboy

Post by softballlife16 »

I will agree with the last two posts Brenton Cole deserves his shot and he is ready! He is the only one that can bring back that fire and motivation that was there a few years ago. As far as Rhea as varsity coach, just dont think he is ready. He did a ok job at the JV level but there was no dicipline & no team work. There was a few kids that knew they could turn the ball over as much as they wanted or force shots as much as they wanted and they would never get pulled out of the game. He would pull kids having good games and leave in the ones that were making alot of mistakes! Maybe he had help from Reese on those choices but I still wasnt impressed. I am also sure there was alot of parent persuasion going on too, and thats why they need to get someone that wont tollerate it! Brenton Cole was an assistant to great coach that pretty much dared you to come gripe at him and I am confident that Brenton Cole would be the same. I just hope this decission is better than the last one and I mean that for the kids sake!!!!!

TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Post by TheSportsGuy »

Of all the names I've heard in this thread, Shane Rhea has to be at or near the top. He brings energy and passion to the table and is a great x's and o's guy. South Webster would be in good hands under Rhea's guidance.

Pressbreaker
Waterboy

Post by Pressbreaker »

I'm not sure Brenton can even be considered for the head coaching job. Is he qualified to teach anything? Does he even have a teaching license or a degree? I know there is no law saying a coach has to be a teacher within the school, but it seems to be policy in most places to hire school employees as head coaches. I like Brenton and thought he did a great job as an assisstant, but I think it is better for the community and the kids if the head coach is teaching at the school.
I think next year's team could really surprise people. We return alot of young players who will make huge gains in the offseason under the right coach. I don't see any clear favorite for the job so far.

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

---- wrote:No coach is going to get an SOC team on the state level year after year, it just doesnt happen. It takes a year with all the right ingredients. A coach who is good and a team that is loaded. Only the big schools do u see in it year after year.....
Plus a transer to help you along the way!

They did seem young this year and last. I saw improvement from 2007 so things are looking up at Webster!

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

I don't think it matters if a coach is a teacher or not, as long as they care about the kids and the program. I know that the majority of the boys like and respect Cole and I've always heard good things about him.

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

I agree a teacher shouldn't always get first choice. Should go to the best candidate!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I think it's clear everybody here thinks Brenton would be a great hire. I talked to him a few weeks ago, and I thought he said he was finishing up a program trying to get hired on at Webster, so I'm not sure if he is fully-certified or not.

I've heard some different names as being interested, but don't really know what to believe. I'd think if nothing is done in the next week, then it'll be a few more weeks as they plan on posting it statewide at the State Tournament next week. But from what I hear, they want this done relatively quick so the new coach will be ready to hit the ground running this summer.*

tagyourit
Riding the Bench

Post by tagyourit »

I too think Brenton did an amazing job as an assistant and agree he deserves a shot.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Could someone bring me up to speed on who Brenton Cole is? I have an idea but am not 100% sure. Where has he coached and how did his teams perform?

Champs2006
Waterboy

Post by Champs2006 »

Brenton has coached at Webster for years. He was the JV and assistant Varsity coach for the '04 State Semifinalist team, the '05 Regional Finalist team, the '06 State Champs, the '07 Regional Semi-finalists, and stayed and assisted Coach Resse in '08, even though he was passed up for the head coaching job.
He left after '08, only because he did not agree with Coach Reese's basketball philosophy. After speaking with him, I know that this devastated him since he loves the school and the kids.
He also has coached soccer for many years with Corey Claxon and has also coached baseball but I'm not sure what years.
This is the type of guy that I would like to see running the program. He is so dedicated to the school... IMO, it's time for the school to show that they have appreciated his efforts and contributions.

Return to “Boys Basketball”