Western Indians Coach

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Western Indians Coach

Post by Ironman92 »

I believe Western had a couple of of Rigsby boys in the late 60's or early 70's that compiled over 1,000 points. The Justice boys of Peebles....their mom's maiden name is Rigsby.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

PETE that is in no way even close to being the truth and is quite possibly the dumbest thing i have seen posted on here.Why would you post a story like that with out knowing what you are talking about it makes you look silly.The board hasnt even met yet since Harrop quit.

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

Post by thecinderellapick »

I highly doubt this story is true. The board may already have an idea who they're going to hire, but like lightle04 says, they haven't met to hire anyone. I don't think Jason Rigsby would be a good fit for the coaching job at this time... ;-)

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I dont know who will get the job I hope KIGHT gets it and I think he has the support of alot of people in the community but whoever gets it will have there hands full next year we have had quite a run over the last few years and the kids on the varsity team next year have very,very, little experince at that level because we graduate like 9 seniors there is some talent and size maybe not what the school has been seeing for the past few years but I do beleave that there are some more nice seasons and some younger kids comeing up that when there called on to help at the varsity level will hold there own and help out some.

onthewall
Waterboy

Post by onthewall »

I read preps occasionally but I've never posted. However, I feel compelled to respond to the whole Jason Rigsby topic. I guess I never cease to be amazed by some peoples' stupidity. I'm hesitant to use that description but for someone to get on a public website that is read by kids and post such nonsense is ridiculous. Jason Rigsby is a graduate of Western High School and is a great guy. However, he hasn't been involved in WHS basketball since he graduated in 1992. His dad was a coach for 2 years in the late 80s. I don't understand why anyone would even post his name on a website that is supposed to talk about basketball. This thread has become more about bashing the community and school board than about basketball. As of right now nothing has been decided by the board. They haven't even had a meeting. I sincerely hope that Dave Kight is hired as the coach. Even if a coaching legend wanted to come here I still think that Kight is the right person because he has proven that he has what it takes to win games that he probably should've lost. Anyone who has been around Western basketball for the past two years can see that. Kight is a great motivator and a hard worker. Harrop took the high road when he resigned because he is a good guy. Before you post any more ridiculous gossip that isn't even remotely possible, check the facts. Don't bring some innocent guy into the mix who has no part in it.

60ft.6in.
Freshman Team

Post by 60ft.6in. »

Thats true about Kite. I hope and think he should get it too. The only thing is, you say that Kite has what it takes to win, but is that what the school board wants? I find it hard to believe considering they let Howard go, who won plenty enough, then Harrop was pushed out, who also won plenty enough. Who knows what it will take to fill the shoes of the Western h.s. basketball coach.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

That is avery interresting view comeing from argueably the best overall talent in western school history.And he played for both coaches.Im not for sure what or who is the ideal coach for us my oppinion on Kight is bias i like how he developes players.He was a guard when he played and my son is a guard Ilike how he teaches guards to manage a game and how he teaches all players to hustle on both ends.

basketball
Waterboy

Post by basketball »

Have they hired a coach? have they posted the job to people outside?

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Nope not yet they just accepted Trents resignation last monday.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

CONGRATS!!!! KIGHT

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

By the last post, I'm hoping that means Kight was hired?? If so, Western has made a very good decision and will not be disappointed!!

Congratulations Mr. Kight and good luck????

Competitor
Waterboy

Post by Competitor »

Can't believe the forum on Western's next bball coach has came down to biddy ball philosophy but here's mine. The varsity coach in a rural program shouldn't "run" the program, but he should have a major influence. Most important is that he has the coaches of the future varsity players teaching them what he wants taught. A lot of biddy teams are simply get the best player the ball and watch him go.

Now, on to GREAT news. David Kight has been offered the job by the Board of Education and I am sure he will sign the contract. He will give the district and most important the kids an effort that will not be outdone by anyone. He will make the people of Western proud of their basketball team. Not only does he know the game but he has contacts from the highest level of high school to NCAA D1. He will use all his resources to make Western Basketball excel. We all know it's "Johnny's and Joe's" that make you great, but Coach Kight will get the best out of both a "plumber" and a "player". Congrats Western, you have hired a gem!!

JJ Hale
JV Team

Post by JJ Hale »

Congrats David!

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Way to go Western School Board!! I believe you have gotten this one right. Coach Kight is an excellent coach in all aspects of the game, but most importantly his players will learn more than just the game. They will learn to represent the school and themselves with respect. David is an excellent motivator and will lead by example. No player or coach in the area will out work him. Congratulations Coach! I hope you know we got your back and will help with anything you need. Actually looking forward to maybe a little scouting. Good luck!!

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Congrats David. Glad to see you get this opportunity. Good hire Western.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

what are his credentials?

Phil_Howard
Waterboy

Post by Phil_Howard »

Congrats to Dave! He is the right choice for the job. He has paid his dues and is certainly worthy of a head coaching opportunity. I just hope he will not be judged entirely on wins and losses next year, as the program will be in a major rebuilding mode due to graduation. A multi-year contract, or at least a long term commitment by the powers to be, should be in order considering the work that lies ahead. It is tough to lose kids like Shanks, Smithson, Penwell, and Hall, along with most of the role players (Wolford, Leslie, etc.) in a Division IV school all at the same time, and not have to rebuild.

I have known Dave for several years and he gets his work ethic honestly, as his dad ( Athletic Director at Jackson High School ) is one of the most committed dedicated individuals I have been associated with. Dave will command respect and effort from his players and he will get the most out of the basketball talent he has available.

Also, best wishes to Trent Harrop, who in his 2 years as the head coach, brought the school a league championship and 2 sectional titles and garnered a Coach of the Year award. Trent is a great person and is a tremendous role model who truly cares about kids.
Last edited by Phil_Howard on Wed May 13, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coach Skinner
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Skinner »

Congratulations Dave. I am really happy for you. And for back health, always remember to not allow your players to leave their practice jerseys on the floor where you can slip on them. :122245

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

^^^ :122249

cc93
Waterboy

Post by cc93 »

Congrats Coach Kight.Im glad the board finally made the right choice.There couldnt have been a better choice for the role.

Return to “Boys Basketball”